• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Offseason Portal Tracker

It’s honestly not super easy to sell to someone who actually wants to get a grad degree and is just using their free year to do that on scholarship. We don’t really have grad programs of value if you want something other than business. We especially don’t have 1-year grad programs of value (although I’d argue that there are very few 1-year grad programs of value anywhere).

You're in academia. I'm not. But I would offer that there are several very good 1-year accounting programs out there. I've mentored a few folks who came out of those programs and have done quite well. But I can only speak to accounting. I defer to your expertise on the whole.

You're in academia. I'm not. But I would offer that there are several very good 1-year accounting programs out there. I've mentored a few folks who came out of those programs and have done quite well. But I can only speak to accounting. I defer to your expertise on the whole.
Sorry, I didn’t say that clearly. I do think the 1-year programs in the business school are fine. Outside of that, there is very little.

Is it really only graduate degrees or is is also get a second degree? It's a grad transfer, but does it have to be a graduate degree or do we care?

What degrees did Tyree Appleby and Dallas Walton pursue with their grad years?

According to 247, NC State has had 7 commitments from the portal (none from UNC, yet). They have had 5 of their players commit elsewhere. They have 13 additional players in the portal who have yet to commit. So, State lost more than 20% of their eligible roster players to the portal. We will see if they are "killing it" in the portal next year.

Perhaps, it won't be long until we have trades in college football; it essentially happened with NC State and Maryland. NCS QB MJ Morris went to Maryland, and in exchange two Maryland CBs went to NC State.

I know it was probably tongue in cheek, but the idea of coaches determining where kids play next is, how do they say, not great Bob.

I know there are some situations where a coach could say “hey, I know the coach at Western and they’d be happy to have you if that’s what you want.” But more times than not I feel like these kids probably want a rec at most and then cut ties.

The constraints are real. Again, it's a two-step process:

1. You have to have 60 credits from Wake to graduate from Wake. This makes it really tough if you are transferring with 60-120 credits. Could you sell a kid with ~68 credits to sacrifice some / take extra classes to catch up? Maybe. However, even if a kid is willing to sacrifice credits, if they fall too far behind academically they can be ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

2. Each department head decides what credits get accepted to their major by fiat. This is where the weirdness comes in and one players' credits get accepted from, say, ULM (Kevin Pointer), and another's might get rejected from, say, Illinois (Casey Washington). It's different department heads making each decision.

Comparing the coaches, I'd be surprised if you find any transfers from Forbes, Walter, or Clawson that don't meet step 1. It'd have to be a specific scenario, likely a player with credits in the 60-70 range and willing to catch up in the offseason. It'd take a good sales job, too. For players under step 2, it likely comes down to which academic programs the players are in and our experience with getting transfers in with their credits accepted. I'm sure the coaches know which programs are permissive and which are restrictive to transfers.

Clawson also might be more gun-shy than the others. He had the experience with C. Washington where the kid was literally in classes at Wake for 2 weeks before learning that his credits from Illinois wouldn't be accepted.

Clawson also might be more gun-shy than the others. He had the experience with C. Washington where the kid was literally in classes at Wake for 2 weeks before learning that his credits from Illinois wouldn't be accepted.

That's f***ing ridiculous. Sounds terribly unfair to the kid. Be the adults in the room and make up your damn minds!

State is a very good degree, btw Vandy which is a pretty good school just took a Juco transfer

Duke RB to State. Doeren is collecting quite a portal haul.
Lets not forget, State also flipped JT (Justin Terrell) our committed prospect back in April . . . . I feel like we are losing to them recently in more ways than in just the W column. . . .

Last edited:
Back