• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football X&O help needed: Wide OL splits

VaDeac

Reaction score
Why is this helpful? Seems wider splits would make it harder to keep the defense out of the backfield, not easier.

Why does the DL spread out? Couldn't they just ignore the splits and mass inside?

That was my question as well. Ph's explanation makes a lot of sense- you can only commit so many guys to the LOS.

That's my question as well. Seems you could put two guys in one gap and exploit it.

That's a lot of risk particularly on quick hitters.

In the early 80's, Richmond Spiders did the same thing but even wider. The RB they had was named Barry Redden. He was a 1st round draft pick of the Rams. When he got behind a standard OL formation, he was horrible. They drafted Eric Dickerson the next year. These splits open passing and running lanes for Tanner. See how his rushing numbers have improved. If a defense packs the gaps, just throw the ball to the outside (man coverage for Camp) or over the middle to the TE, nobody will be there.

In the early 80's, Richmond Spiders did the same thing but even wider. The RB they had was named Barry Redden. He was a 1st round draft pick of the Rams. When he got behind a standard OL formation, he was horrible. They drafted Eric Dickerson the next year. These splits open passing and running lanes for Tanner. See how his rushing numbers have improved. If a defense packs the gaps, just throw the ball to the outside (man coverage for Camp) or over the middle to the TE, nobody will be there.

Not only that, but no one on the OLine puts their hand down, so if they pack the gaps, it's an easy shift to close the gaps - very easy audible.

Not only that, but no one on the OLine puts their hand down, so if they pack the gaps, it's an easy shift to close the gaps - very easy audible.

If you noticed, our RT moved in a lot today, and their DE went wider. Wide splits also helps line decide who they are going to block. Harder to disguise what defense is going to do, dl can't really twist.

so how can a defense take advantage of wide splits on the OL?

(preview of coming attractions - Miami and FSU)

Exactly what I was about to ask. I assume their team speed will completely overcome any advantage the splits would otherwise give Wake

Yeah if the DLineman is quick enough to get through the gap before the edge is sealed then you're fucked (clearly the FSU and Miami forecast).

In the highlight package on ESPN, the video of the sack of Tanner, the only person in the middle of the field is the Umpire. A quick slant would put 6 on the board. This is what we can do to overcome the athletic front of Miami and FSU. Tanner won't have the time to go through his progressions. Roll out and release to the TE could work too.

If Miami fills the gaps, we'll close the gaps. I still can't understand why our blocking scheme doesn't work better. Harris seems to wear velcro, when a defenders touches him, he can't shake him. BYOB. Be Your Own Blocker.

Ever notice that our center set things, then points to the LB defense set, I suppose, then snaps the ball a SECOND later - every time. One could easily time a blitz. Ugh.

If Miami fills the gaps, we'll close the gaps. I still can't understand why our blocking scheme doesn't work better. Harris seems to wear velcro, when a defenders touches him, he can't shake him. BYOB. Be Your Own Blocker.

This has been frustrating with Josh. He has a world of talent, but can't seem to shake off the first tackle. If he would put his head down and run north and south, I bet he would break off a lot more long runs. I will add though, there are times where he has zero chance of positive yardage. Seems like too often he takes the handoff and is hit in the backfield almost immediately.

Back