• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ford's new car wants to keep you from speeiding

DeaconSig

Reaction score
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/24/ford-smax-speed-limit/

A camera mounted on the windshield scans the road signs on the sides of the highway and, when the vehicle enters a 20mph zone, the system reduces the top speed to match. Rather than controlling the speed with automatic braking, the car limits its own velocity by adjusting the amount of fuel being pushed to the engine.

I understand this would prevent some accidents, but I can see where it could cause problems as well.

Fuck, it will be like driving a golf cart.

Limit the top speed to 70, give it every safety feature possible, use the smallest, cheapest engine you can make, give a 5 mph cushion to the speed limit thing, and call it the Ford 16 and charge $10,000 for it. Market it as the perfect car for new drivers. Include tech like no passengers allowed, time restrictions, and parental notifications. Implement a 2 year hand-me-down lease program.

That sounds even more awful.

Limit the top speed to 70, give it every safety feature possible, use the smallest, cheapest engine you can make, give a 5 mph cushion to the speed limit thing, and call it the Ford 16 and charge $10,000 for it. Market it as the perfect car for new drivers. Include tech like no passengers allowed, time restrictions, and parental notifications. Implement a 2 year hand-me-down lease program.

Fuck everything about the article DeconSig posted but fuck this shit even more.

Perfect car for the olds. I'm gonna tell my granny about this asap

Although it was partly tongue-in-cheek, the response to using tech to limit a vehicle for new drivers is probably influenced by whether you were close to someone who drove like an idiot as a 16-year-old, whether through recklessness or lack of skill, and ended up in a deadly or potentially deadly accident.

Although it was partly tongue-in-cheek, the response to using tech to limit a vehicle for new drivers is probably influenced by whether you were close to someone who drove like an idiot as a 16-year-old, whether through recklessness or lack of skill, and ended up in a deadly or potentially deadly accident.

As for somebody who drove like a fucking bat out of hell as a 16 year old I completely understand the concept of it. While thankfully I never had the experience of the end of your post I do get what you're going for. It may potentially reduce injuries but I have a hard time buying into the no passengers, time restrictions and the tracking.

It should also block all incoming and outgoing text transmissions while in gear.

As for somebody who drove like a fucking bat out of hell as a 16 year old I completely understand the concept of it. While thankfully I never had the experience of the end of your post I do get what you're going for. It may potentially reduce injuries but I have a hard time buying into the no passengers, time restrictions and the tracking.

Is it still the law in NC that limits the number of passengers you can have (and time of day that you're allowed to drive) in the first six months of having your license if you're under 18?

Is it still the law in NC that limits the number of passengers you can have (and time of day that you're allowed to drive) in the first six months of having your license if you're under 18?

I'm not 100% sure. I thought that had more to do with permits rather than a license. I'm pretty sure there's a time restriction with the first 6 months of the license but I cant remember about passengers.

Maybe not tracking, but a notification that the vehicle was turned off, or on, could help with parents.

Being able to know that the child arrived at the destination without having to call or text would've helped me when I first started driving...my parents were anal about getting calls when we got wherever we were going. That was before texting was big though.

Definitely. Wonder if there's an app that detects when your phone is traveling over 10mph and disables texting...

Not sure if there are apps that automatically do that, but there are apps that are user initiated that block texting.

Definitely. Wonder if there's an app that detects when your phone is traveling over 10mph and disables texting...

My phone launches into "driving mode" where all texts are read aloud and can be replied to by voice. So it's certainly possible to block them with a change in code.

My phone launches into "driving mode" where all texts are read aloud and can be replied to by voice. So it's certainly possible to block them with a change in code.

That'll never happen because of passengers in the car, riding on public transit etc.

Back