• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

So much speculation here, especially in defense of Jones.

It’s all we can do at this point until more facts come out. It’s certainly possible that Jones got out of his car and started and ended a fight with Szabo with one punch. That would be senseless and completely out of character for him, but it would hardly be the first time some dude everyone thought was cool ended up committing a violent act for no good reason.

I think the belligerent drunk guy being a belligerent drunk guy is the far more likely explanation. The details will obviously matter, but based on what’s been reported so far I feel pretty confident that Jones has a strong self defense claim.

The leaving the scene on the other hand . . .

It’s all we can do at this point until more facts come out. It’s certainly possible that Jones got out of his car and started and ended a fight with Szabo with one punch. That would be senseless and completely out of character for him, but it would hardly be the first time some dude everyone thought was cool ended up committing a violent act for no good reason.

I think the belligerent drunk guy being a belligerent drunk guy is the far more likely explanation. The details will obviously matter, but based on what’s been reported so far I feel pretty confident that Jones has a strong self defense claim.

The leaving the scene on the other hand . . .
No waiiii

Does anything else in Jones life suggest that unprovoked, he would exit his vehicle and cold clock a guy who happens to peacefully be drunk on the sidewalk?

We will find out what happened eventually but it seems the sensible play for Wake fans here is to give Jones the benefit of the doubt particularly when the information available seems to lend itself to that conclusion anyway.

When will we find out more? I am hoping the charges are dropped and can get back on the recruiting trail soon. Obviously if he pleads we have to let him go. If he goes to trial I would guess we would stick with our DBO taking his place in the interim until his guilt is determined.

Based on what’s been reported, it seems like the overwhelming majority of likely scenarios would support a self defense or defense of others claim.

If reports are true, we know there was a belligerent drunk making a ton of noise, “knocking” on a bunch of random cars (who the fuck knocks on the window of their Uber), and assaulting people who confront him.

It’s possible Jones got out his car and cold clocked the guy with no provocation, but based on what we know about Jones that seems unlikely.

It seems far more likely that:

1. Jones saw Szabo punch someone and got out of the car to prevent him from causing more damage;

2. Jones saw Szabo punch someone, got out of the car to confront him, and then punched him when Szabo got aggressive;

3. Jones got pissed cause Szabo was banging on his car, got out to confront him, and then punched him when Szabo got aggressive.

I’m far more interested in the timeline beginning when the guy hit the pavement.

This coming from the self-appointed expert in rational and unbiased thinking is rich.

One of the stranger parts to this story is that Jones was hanging out by himself in a parked car at 1:30 in the morning.

I've said it before and will say again. There is the legal side of things for Jamil which will play out in the courts and who really knows all the facts and which way it will play out. He very well may have a great legal defense that allows him to walk away whether self-defense, etc.

But then there is what WF should do if courts find him innocent. Personally there should be a different standard than the courts. I would not want any of my coaches that knows they represent the university whether on the clock or off to engage with a belligerent drunk UNLESS another guy's life was in jeopardy. I could be wrong, but based on what has been reported lots of people take a punch in the world and Jamil should have called police and gone away. Doesn't sound like the other person was getting pummeled to a pulp. Maybe the injustice of it infuriated Jamil and he didn't like how the guy was acting. You still can't go off and engage a guy like that. The fact he fled the scene further worsens the situation and seemingly confirms that Jamil knew what he did was out of bounds for someone in his position and that is a 2nd fact as a University rep that cannot be ignored.

If you are going to clean house on Gaudio to clean up the culture you cannot even begin to think this is acceptable as this involved a person's life. Otherwise it all rings hollow. Having coaches go off to be vigilantes and run off from crime scenes??? Sorry there is no way he can be kept on unless it is clearly proven someone else's life was at stake.

One of the stranger parts to this story is that Jones was hanging out by himself in a parked car at 1:30 in the morning.

...in Queens during a trip to take his girlfriend to see Hamilton on Broadway.

That’s why I qualified the statement. We won’t know the veracity of those details until he goes to court I imagine. Obviously any number of alterations to that list of statements can reverse or alter his level of responsibility and subsequent deserved punishment/result.

I have seen that a 17 year old was punched in some of the reporting. Obviously no official/police confirmation.

Do you have a link to that? I haven't seen that anywhere, certainly improves Jones case.

Not really that weird in NYC, also we don't know for sure that Jones was by himself, it is reported he was vacationing with his fiancee so there is a good chance she was also in the car.

Not really that weird in NYC, also we don't know for sure that Jones was by himself, it is reported he was vacationing with his fiancee so there is a good chance she was also in the car.

I think that would have been mentioned before the The Athletic article. And I do think it's weird for someone to be in a parked car sitting. It's weird he rented a car in the first place.

I think that would have been mentioned before the The Athletic article. And I do think it's weird for someone to be in a parked car sitting. It's weird he rented a car in the first place.

To me the only thing weird about it is he rented a car, but there could be multiple reasons for that. Do we know he was just sitting in a parked car? He could have easily been stopped in traffic or at a light. Looks like it all went down near an intersection.

So many people here want to let the legal system play out and, if Jones is cleared of charges, reinstate him? Yet everyone, seemingly, thinks Urban Myer should have been fired for doing almost exactly that - relying on the legal system in regards to allegations that never materialized into charges (or an arrest, as there was in this case).

What am I missing?

To me the only thing weird about it is he rented a car, but there could be multiple reasons for that. Do we know he was just sitting in a parked car? He could have easily been stopped in traffic or at a light. Looks like it all went down near an intersection.

Good point.

So many people here want to let the legal system play out and, if Jones is cleared of charges, reinstate him? Yet everyone, seemingly, thinks Urban Myer should have been fired for doing almost exactly that - relying on the legal system in regards to allegations that never materialized into charges (or an arrest, as there was in this case).

What am I missing?

I haven't seen anybody post that. I've seen more people say he should be gone no matter what based on what we know.

What am I missing?

The part about lying about it all? OSU fans are insane!

Renting a car is not weird. In my experience, renting a car in NYC is weird. Almost everyone (including most of those that live there and essentially all that visit) get around via car service (taxi, uber, etc) or subway or some other form of transportation that does not involve driving a car yourself. Then again, while strange (at least to me), the fact that Jones rented a car is not really relevant to the issue.

Also, it is insane to attempt to conclude whether a) Jones committed a crime or b) WF should terminate Jones' employment at this point. As all those posting here are entirely basing their judgment upon facts disclosed in a NY Post article (and the limited reporting all of which seems to flow from the NY Post article). Guessing that the details of incident (whether helpful or harmful to Jones) are far different than the limited publicly available information. WF is smart to let the process run its course; assemble all of the facts and then make an informed decision. Something not possible here.

...in Queens during a trip to take his girlfriend to see Hamilton on Broadway.

The area he was in (Long Island City) has tons of hotels and is right across the river from Manhattan, so it's not all that weird that someone visiting the city would be there. In fact, I believe there was a hotel on the block that the incident occurred. I have no idea if Jones was staying there or not. And do we know that the car he was in was "parked"? Do we know for sure he wasn't just stopped at an intersection or in traffic? Again, I have no idea, but it seems that people are filling in unknown details with their own imagination. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that people on here were saying that Jones had a 17 year old recruit with him at the time.

Back