• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Well let's play a fun little game for those that say we should wait out the facts. And maybe there is a legit one I'm not thinking of, but going through a 1000 scenarios of a guy punching a clearly belligerent and very drunk man whose head smashes the pavement such that he is clearly hurt and isn't get up real quickly - which scenario would justify the puncher leaving the scene???

If Jones helped get the guy in stable condition, made sure an ambulance had been called, and left the dude with a sober adult capable of handling the situation, I wouldn’t fault him for deciding to bounce at that point.

No matter how justified he felt in punching Szabo, I get why a black guy that just knocked out a white guy wouldn’t want to wait around and explain his story to the NYPD at 1:30 in the morning.

The problem for Jones is that my first paragraph, while plausible, doesn’t sound likely based on what’s been reported.

Well let's play a fun little game for those that say we should wait out the facts. And maybe there is a legit one I'm not thinking of, but going through a 1000 scenarios of a guy punching a clearly belligerent and very drunk man whose head smashes the pavement such that he is clearly hurt and isn't get up real quickly - which scenario would justify the puncher leaving the scene???

I'll play.
(1) There's nothing more the puncher can do to aid the recovery of the drunk. Others are taking care of it. No need to wait around.
(2) The puncher may worry that the drunk had equally belligerent drunk friends that he would also have to punch in self-defense.

This isn't like a car accident where you have to wait around and file a police report. Especially if the puncher felt no crime had been committed and that the injured party was being cared for.

Right, in my example story after getting cheered for knocking the dude out we all just left. Guy deserved it, everyone knew it. He was coming around, seemed fine, had some people with him that were even apologetic. You'd never have imagined the guy might die much later at a hospital. Probably true that nobody was psyched to hang out until police possibly arrived, but "fleeing the scene" doesn't fit at all.

I'll play.
(1) There's nothing more the puncher can do to aid the recovery of the drunk. Others are taking care of it. No need to wait around.
(2) The puncher may worry that the drunk had equally belligerent drunk friends that he would also have to punch in self-defense.

This isn't like a car accident where you have to wait around and file a police report. Especially if the puncher felt no crime had been committed and that the injured party was being cared for.

I'll play too:
(1) The puncher may have thrown the punch and then turned around and walked away
(2) The puncher may have thrown the punch, saw the guy fall to the ground, and the guy looked OK because he had an epidural hematoma from hitting the concrete and was in the lucid interval, so he walked away
(3) The puncher may have thrown the punch, saw the guy fall to the ground, and the guy didn't look in bad shape because he had a subdural hematoma and was not yet decompensating, so he walked away

I think we've done a good job demonstrating that we still aren't certain about all the facts.

“Punching him with lethal force?”

Cmon Bob. This isn’t Mike Tyson you’re talking about. He’s a 36 year old man who I assume is in good shape. Nobody thinks they’re going to kill a guy with a punch. The punch is to subdue.

I've read many stories. No two seem to have the same set of facts to offer. Until I get a believable, definitive story and timeline with enough detail, I am withholding any speculation.

“Punching him with lethal force?”

Cmon Bob. This isn’t Mike Tyson you’re talking about. He’s a 36 year old man who I assume is in good shape. Nobody thinks they’re going to kill a guy with a punch. The punch is to subdue.
He broke the guy’s face (fractures on the left side of his face). Hardly a punch to “subdue”. Do you think if that was Dave Clawson in that situation he would’ve punched the guy at all, never mind punched the guy so hard he broke the guy’s face? He could’ve restrained the guy to subdue. Lots of rationalizing in this thread.

Last edited:
He broke the guy’s face (fractures on the left side of his face). Hardly a punch to “subdue”. Do you think if that was Dave Clawson in that situation he would’ve punched the guy so hard he broke the guy’s face, never mind punch the guy at all? He could’ve restrained the guy to subdue. Lots of rationalizing in this thread.

Weren’t some of those injuries from the pavement?

Jones is done at Wake Forest. It does not matter how the facts play out in court. The standard that he will be held to by Wake Forest will mean that he is not coming back to coach for Wake Forest.

I’m assuming the fracture on the left side of the face was caused by a right-hand punch (this is making me think of a good Columbo episode). If it turns out the pavement caused that fracture, well, scratch that.

Bottom line is Jones could’ve absolutely shown better judgment.

I’m assuming the fracture on the left side of the face was caused by a right-hand punch (this is making me think of a good Columbo episode). If it turns out the pavement caused that fracture, well, scratch that.

Bottom line is Jones could’ve absolutely shown better judgment.

Definitely.

Hoops Asst. Coach Jamil Jones charged with assault on man who later died in hospital

If Jones is exonerated or the charges are dropped I see no reason he should automatically lose his job. There could certainly be details of the story that Still led to his dismissal, but I would also have no problem with other forms of discipline (suspensions, reprimands) in a scenario where he was deemed innocent or the courts didn’t even pursue the case.

If found guilty or pleas down it is obviously a different story.

Last edited:
Most assistants have one year deals. WF could pay him the amount left on his contract and send him on his way. That is essentially what WF is doing, assuming they don't reinstate him, by placing him on administrative leave while investigating the incident.

Just don't see the purpose of rushing to terminate Jones right now. While on leave, he does not represent WF; the DOBO has assumed Jones' recruiting duties. If there is any indication that suspending him for now, as opposed to announcing that he is fired right now, is hurting WF, there would be an argument to accelerate the investigation, but I don't see the harm to WF to let the NYC case proceed as Jones sits on the sidelines and let all of the facts come to light before making a call.

Yep. Let the case play out. Once everything is known, the decision on his job should be fairly obvious.

As someone who gas been a drunk guy in a fight, fighting another drunk guy in a fight, I feel highly qualified to offer commentary.

Yep. Let the case play out. Once everything is known, the decision on his job should be fairly obvious.

Could be obvious for Manning’s job by that time too.

Back