• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

As someone who gas been a drunk guy in a fight, fighting another drunk guy in a fight, I feel highly qualified to offer commentary.
We have a crisis of expertise in this country. Thank you for your service.

But there's this one time when I was drunk and was on crutches and lost rather badly.

giphy.gif

Some of you guys will rationalize anything.

All of this is true. What most of these good Deacon folks hate to realize is that this one punch was in fact lethal because this one punch did cause the guy to die. Therefore that makes it lethal in any description of the law. He will only be halfway saved in all of this if the story comes out that this guy punched somebody first and our coach then came onto the scene seeing his car having been beat on and this guy being punched. He then punched him in a self defense mode.

“Punching him with lethal force?”

Cmon Bob. This isn’t Mike Tyson you’re talking about. He’s a 36 year old man who I assume is in good shape. Nobody thinks they’re going to kill a guy with a punch. The punch is to subdue.

breaking: footage has been found of the event:

latest

All of this is true. What most of these good Deacon folks hate to realize is that this one punch was in fact lethal because this one punch did cause the guy to die. Therefore that makes it lethal in any description of the law. He will only be halfway saved in all of this if the story comes out that this guy punched somebody first and our coach then came onto the scene seeing his car having been beat on and this guy being punched. He then punched him in a self defense mode.

No.

As I posted earlier in this thread, Jones should have thought about it, because it's more common than people think.

A hard punch to the face of a drunk man who was not expecting the punch was an unnecessarily brutal and cowardly way to subdue him. Jones could have wrapped his arms around him and wrestled him to the ground.

But Jones should not have put himself in that position to begin with. His first mistake was getting out of the car to confront Szabo.

What if the drunk confronted Jones when he came to the defense of the local resident? Or swung at Jones? Or called Jones a bad name? I’m sorry, but I don’t buy the scenario where Jones just hammers him for no good reason.

The only way I can imagine Jones would punch the guy “unprovoked” was if he was really pissed he hit his car or something. That would still take a good deal of poor anger management and poor judgment but it’s certainly possible.

Seems like some really insenstive comments are starting to come in this thread. Please remember someone did die

I disagree. What I do know:

1. Szabo (tapped/knocked/banged/pounded-pick one) on the window of Jones' car.
  2. Jones got out of his car and there was a confrontation between Jones and Szabo.
  3. Jones punched Szabo so hard that Szabo fell to the ground, cracked his head and died a couple days later as a result of the punch (Medical Examiner's ruling).
  4. Jones left the scene before the police arrived.

What I don't know:

1. Was Szabo actually drunk and causing a disturbance?
  2. Did Szabo threaten and/or punch anyone else before being confronted by Jones?
  3. Did Szabo threaten and/or try to punch Jones?

With respect to your #1 "don't know", there was pretty definitive reporting that Szabo (or someone) was causing so much noise that a local resident came outside to see what was going on. NY Post report.
Definite, but not necessarily accurate. However the Post has seemed to have the most detailed coverage.

“It’s not believable that he posed a real threat to anyone”? The local resident who got punched in the face might beg to differ. Jones didn’t shoot the drunk- he punched him, apparently after the drunk had just punched someone else. And we don’t know if he swung at or approached Jones in a threatening manner. If the guy was drunk and acting like an ass, he was asking for a punch.

The story of "...local resident who got punched in the face..." by Szabo is not an established fact. There were no such details reported in the first stories about the incident. That version of the story appeared in the first article cited in this thread after Jones turned himself in in the company of his attorney.

The detail about Szabo punching someone else is attributed to "sources." (There is also a mention of "law enforcement sources," but only in connection with the fact of Jones punching Szabo.)

I think the "source" of the detail about Szabo punching someone else is Jones' attorney. Like any good attorney would, he is trying to put a story out there that will help him defend Jones.

I don't believe the story about Szabo punching someone else because I don't believe the "source" is unbiased. Also, as far as I can tell, the news media have never identified the person who was supposedly punched by Szabo or described the extent of his injuries. Who is this mysterious other victim? I don't know for sure, but I don't think he exists at all.

NY Post Thu. 8/9/2018
https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/wake-...h-charged-in-deadly-queens-attack-on-tourist/

A Wake Forest basketball coach was arrested in Queens on Thursday for landing a knockout punch on a drunken Florida tourist — who later died in the hospital, sources said.

Jamill Jones — an assistant to Danny Manning at the ACC basketball program — allegedly slugged Boca Raton resident Sabor Szabo in the head early Sunday morning for drunkenly banging on his car in Long Island City, according to law enforcement sources.

Szabo — in town for his stepsister’s wedding — had left his brother’s LIC hotel and was looking for a cab he ordered, his family claimed.
Szabo, 35, banged multiple cars in front of 41-10 29th St. at around 1:15 a.m., sources said.

A local resident heard the ruckus and came out of his home to confront Szabo, who then punched that person in the face, according to the sources.

Jones then approached Szabo and slugged him — causing him to fall to the ground and hit his head on the pavement...

So not only are you assuming the source of that part of the story was Jones' attorney, based on nothing, but you are assuming the attorney lied and made the whole thing up? Bold move.

I have no idea what really happened, and neither do any of the rest of us. But, I am willing to bet that there is more to the story than just "guy bangs on car, Jones get out of car, Jones punches guy, guy dies". Unless Jones is a 'roid-raging psycho, something had to have happened to motivate him to punch the guy. Either the guy got aggressive with him and maybe tried to hit him, or the guy was beating somebody else up, or something... That is the only thing that makes sense to me.

And we won't hear anything about any of that until it either comes up for trial or they drop the charges. I'm sure his attorney has instructed him to keep his mouth shut publicly.

Back