• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fracking in North Carolina

Underrated

Reaction score
Every republican senator voted for it, bad fucking idea.

pretty sure legislation is on the table to also make it a felony to disclose the materials used in fracking. that strikes me as...weird, for lack of a better word.

dish-satellite.jpg

I don't know a lot about it personally (although I do know some, which is more than most people), but a product I sell goes into the treatment of frack water in the Marcellus and Utica Shale. I've had some brief discussions with drillers/frackers about NC and they more or less just laugh at the concept of any serious development in NC.

I don't know a lot about it personally (although I do know some, which is more than most people), but a product I sell goes into the treatment of frack water in the Marcellus and Utica Shale. I've had some brief discussions with drillers/frackers about NC and they more or less just laugh at the concept of any serious development in NC.

It won't happen here now because natural gas is so cheap it isn't worth it. My concern is that if the price spikes if will become worth it.

pretty sure legislation is on the table to also make it a felony to disclose the materials used in fracking. that strikes me as...weird, for lack of a better word.

I believe the bill that will be passed makes it a misdemeanor. I think that is likely unconstitutional, at least as applied to a person who does not have some kind of fiduciary relationship to the company owning the IP.

I believe the bill that will be passed makes it a misdemeanor. I think that is likely unconstitutional, at least as applied to a person who does not have some kind of fiduciary relationship to the company owning the IP.

If the Repubs would call it the "Affordable Gasoline Act" everything would be constitutional.

For the first time, the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources has said it plans to study a site in Western North Carolina to assess its feasibility for hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking.” The exact location of the site has not been disclosed.

The study plan was revealed Nov. 13 in testimony by DENR Assistant Secretary for the Environment Mitch Gillespie, a former state representative from McDowell County who is a major fracking proponent, before the state legislature’s Environmental Review Commission. (See a copy of Gillespie’s presentation below.)

http://www.carolinapublicpress.org/17156/fracking-study-planned-for-undisclosed-site-in-western-nc

Last edited:
As part of an “update on energy issues” for the commission, Gillespie presented a provisional list of fracking-feasibility studies that DENR plans to conduct. Most of the sites on the list are located in the Piedmont and the Coastal Plain, areas of the state previously identified as the ones most likely to hold deposits of natural gas that could be extracted by fracking. But the list included a rare mention of a site in the mountain area, identified only as a “precambrian rift basin” in “western NC.”

this was my initial non-legal speculation. it would seem to flagrantly violate the first amendment. then there was also the fact it seems wrong. that might be because it is.(?)

rather than frack, if we have to use experimental chemicals, maybe it'd just be a good idea to, you know, actually solve the energy problem rather than applying these increasingly ineffective band-aids.

rather than frack, if we have to use experimental chemicals, maybe it'd just be a good idea to, you know, actually solve the energy problem rather than applying these increasingly ineffective band-aids.

Or...ya know...try to keep those liberal west coast companies and their stupid electric cars on their own side of the damned country. Fucking hippies.

Help me understand what the energy problem is? Even if all energy came from renewable resources, carbon-based inputs would still be needed for the production of a large majority of products we all use on a daily basis.

The formula has been considered taboo since the beginning...it is always falsely promoted as proprietary. But this is not "New Coke"...no, this is raw shit pumping into the earth, which, I might add, if you tried at home would certainly warrant a visit from the soon-to-be gun-toting officers of the Environmental Protection Agency.

It is basically acid to break down the rock. About the equivalent of high powered drano.

You'd have a hard time convincing the common-sense commoner among us that a means for delivery will be fail-safe as it passes "through" the water table. Water, its state of health,is,to my mind,the most important issue we face on the environmental front.

The formula has been considered taboo since the beginning...it is always falsely promoted as proprietary. But this is not "New Coke"...no, this is raw shit pumping into the earth, which, I might add, if you tried at home would certainly warrant a visit from the soon-to-be gun-toting officers of the Environmental Protection Agency.

It is basically acid to break down the rock. About the equivalent of high powered drano.

You'd have a hard time convincing the common-sense commoner among us that a means for delivery will be fail-safe as it passes "through" the water table. Water, its state of health,is,to my mind,the most important issue we face on the environmental front.

Agreed

Who are you, and what have you done with Lectro?

Back