• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fracking in North Carolina

Help me understand what the energy problem is? Even if all energy came from renewable resources, carbon-based inputs would still be needed for the production of a large majority of products we all use on a daily basis.

nuclear was what i was thinking. using a large cannon, we fire the spent rods towards the sun. later we'll be able to find an even better alternative.

The formula has been considered taboo since the beginning...it is always falsely promoted as proprietary. But this is not "New Coke"...no, this is raw shit pumping into the earth, which, I might add, if you tried at home would certainly warrant a visit from the soon-to-be gun-toting officers of the Environmental Protection Agency.

It is basically acid to break down the rock. About the equivalent of high powered drano.

You'd have a hard time convincing the common-sense commoner among us that a means for delivery will be fail-safe as it passes "through" the water table. Water, its state of health,is,to my mind,the most important issue we face on the environmental front.

I agree with Lectro's post. (I almost never get to say that, so fair is fair.)

Not only do we not know what is in the formula, but the waste water from these operations may also be directly dumped into state rivers and streams. The waste water must be treated, but there are no regulations defining what that means.

When asked about the lack of public notice or floor debate, Tillis said, "I think it’s just a matter of why not get it done?”

The forced pooling aspect, where property owners are forced to relinquish their rights, is another disturbing section.

http://america.aljazeera.com/blogs/...na-legislaturegivesfrackingfinalthumbsup.html

There are too many good ways to make a living that don't involve rounding up on environmental risks. If we know what we need to know, then launch it. If we don't, we need to study it. I am sorry to say I don't know that we know enough to green light this stuff yet.

No matter what we do, I would have preferred this legislation be coupled with solar and wind incentives.

There are too many good ways to make a living that don't involve rounding up on environmental risks. If we know what we need to know, then launch it. If we don't, we need to study it. I am sorry to say I don't know that we know enough to green light this stuff yet.

No matter what we do, I would have preferred this legislation be coupled with solar and wind incentives.

This thread is like bizarro world.

nuclear was what i was thinking. using a large cannon, we fire the spent rods towards the sun. later we'll be able to find an even better alternative.

Too expensive. We are more than capable at storing this stuff until we really have the technology(space elevator) to launch it into the Sun. The Yucca Mountain site would have been perfect, but the word nuclear causes idiots to go ape-shit. Quite simply, nobody wants it in their backyard because they are idiots. Put it in my backyard, I'm ok with it.

Seriously, watch this video.

I wish conservatives would embrace conservation - leaving the land and water the way they found it.

Too expensive. We are more than capable at storing this stuff until we really have the technology(space elevator) to launch it into the Sun. The Yucca Mountain site would have been perfect, but the word nuclear causes idiots to go ape-shit. Quite simply, nobody wants it in their backyard because they are idiots. Put it in my backyard, I'm ok with it.

space elevator is a better idea, esp since it could be used for any number of other things as well.

but i'm just talking about packing a bunch of TNT or C4 and going bang, not a rocket or missile. my understanding is that's fairly cheap in comparison, but it may still not be economical. i have no idea really,

agree we can store them safely and make the energy safely, and we have the capability, the idiots are the problem.

Last edited:

I hear you.

Hollywood did its part -- Fonda and Lemon. Great actors but certainly affected the overall vibe. Similarly progressive France had no such problem and run at about 70% of their production of electricity from reactors dotting the country.

Hollywood and its proximity to very active fault lines add up to a very active imagination...

In fairness,though, there is cause for caution in certain areas...Akira Kurasawa's "Dreams" will haunt the modern viewer and there is little doubt his depiction of Fuji erupting and the collapse of multiple reactors is an eerie, almost premonitory, nightmare of nuclear disaster. He certainly affected the progressive mindsets along the San Andreas fault.

*It is worth noting that,following the massive plate shift which caused the Japanese tsunami,a 3 and 1/2 mile fissure was rent directly beneath Mount Fuji. Their experts are heard mumbling "maybe 50 years,maybe tonight."

To me, this makes fracking fail the sniff test. Huge clue that we're going down the wrong road.

trib-money-paved-road.jpeg

This is the road that the pols see.

Its funny you mention that video, its the exact one we watch during our Hazardous Materials Training.

Frack fluid is 99.5% water and 0.123% acid.

Cheap natural gas from dry and wet wells is making US chemical manufacturing viable again. See Europe for the effects of extra stringent drilling and power production laws.

Cheap natural gas from dry and wet wells is making US chemical manufacturing viable again. See Europe for the effects of extra stringent drilling and power production laws.

totally dude

703px-European-union-renewables-new.svg.png

Proportion of renewable energy in the EU and Iceland, Turkey, Norway and Switzerland as percentage of total energy consumption.

Europe gettin FUCKED right now.

Link?

totally dude

703px-European-union-renewables-new.svg.png

Proportion of renewable energy in the EU and Iceland, Turkey, Norway and Switzerland as percentage of total energy consumption.

Europe gettin FUCKED right now.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic?

Great map, but I'm not sure what the propagation of renewable electricity sources has to do with the costs or dependability of those sources? Government subsidies have allowed these sources to be built, not economic reality.

Back