• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fred Phelps: Founder of Westboro Baptist Church

No doubt he upset a lot of grieving people in his life, which sucks, but I'd wager the WBC ironically had a net positive effect on public opinion for much of the stuff it protested.

No doubt he upset a lot of grieving people in his life, which sucks, but I'd wager the WBC ironically had a net positive effect on public opinion for much of the stuff it protested.

That's an interesting point that I had never thought of. It's one thing to be one of those right wing, family first type organizations that appeals to bible beaters and can grow the cause. It's another to do it in such an appalling way that only the smallest minority of folks could hear your message and say, yeah I'm gonna roll with those dudes.

The WBC excommunicated him a couple years ago.

Reminds me of a quote from an old Bloom County cartoon (IIRC): "He sure is gonna be surprised when St. Peter greets him at the pearly gates - with a bazooka."

His nutjob daughter said they're not having a funeral because "we don't worship the dead." More proof they just have zero grounding for their "logic."

I will miss laughing at Phelps walking around wearing Christian Ponder and Randy Moss jerseys. Go Vikes!! Fuck him. Rot.

They once picketed the church I worked at in DC. It was my morning to be out front greeting people when they arrived. They knew nothing about me, so it wasn't personal in that sense, but I've never seen such hatred/evil in my life. I think we'll all be surprised when we get to the other side, but imagine that Phelps is getting a few lessons.

Back