• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Friday Night Football: #2 Oklahoma State at Iowa State 8:00 p.m. on ESPN

What happens if LSU loses to Georgia in the SECCG? (It's not going to happen; they're going to win by 30; but just for fun...)

Does LSU even drop? Can you have a national championship game between Alabama and Oregon with LSU at #3 when LSU beat both of them?

There are a lot of people out there saying that you shouldn't play for the BCS championship if you don't win your own conference. So, if those people get their way, that would take away LSU, Alabama, and the loser of the OU/OSU game.

It would probably mean an Oregon vs. winner of OU/OSU plays for the title. But then there's the crowd that wouldn't want to see a 1-loss Oregon go over a 1-loss LSU, so Oregon's off the table.

That leaves the OU/OSU winner, either one of which has a terrible loss on its resume, going against a 1-loss ACC champion. Meanwhile, Alabama, LSU, and Oregon - who are generally considered better teams - play in glorified exhibitions.

In reality, I think LSU goes to the BCSCG even if they lose to UGA, which just proves the notion that you don't have to win your conference to play for the championship.

There are a lot of people out there saying that you shouldn't play for the BCS championship if you don't win your own conference. So, if those people get their way, that would take away LSU, Alabama, and the loser of the OU/OSU game.

It would probably mean an Oregon vs. winner of OU/OSU plays for the title. But then there's the crowd that wouldn't want to see a 1-loss Oregon go over a 1-loss LSU, so Oregon's off the table.

That leaves the OU/OSU winner, either one of which has a terrible loss on its resume, going against a 1-loss ACC champion. Meanwhile, Alabama, LSU, and Oregon - who are generally considered better teams - play in glorified exhibitions.

In reality, I think LSU goes to the BCSCG even if they lose to UGA, which just proves the notion that you don't have to win your conference to play for the championship.

Two times teams have played in the BCS Championship game without winning their conference. 2001 Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in the final regular season game and didn't play in the Big 12 Championship. Nebraska lost to Miami. In 2003 Oklahoma lost to Kansas State 35-7 in the Big 12 title game and went to the Championship anyway.

Two times teams have played in the BCS Championship game without winning their conference. 2001 Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in the final regular season game and didn't play in the Big 12 Championship. Nebraska lost to Miami. In 2003 Oklahoma lost to Kansas State 35-7 in the Big 12 title game and went to the Championship anyway.

Yeah, I know. I just think that if LSU were to lose to UGA that all of these people saying that only conference champions should play for the BCS title would have a very difficult argument to keep LSU out of that game.

If they view the conference championships like the first round of a tournament, it's not a difficult argument at all.

If they view the conference championships like the first round of a tournament, it's not a difficult argument at all.

Yeah, but some teams get a bye through that first round without earning it - the winner of the OSU/OU game.

I think they'd argue OSU/OU is first round game.

If the powers that be think a playoff is too much of a change, I'd love to see the simplest system. Just take the 4 best conference champs and do a plus 1.

Last edited:
Don't like that position because they're not equivalent situations. One's a regular season game that gets played regardless; the conference CG is only available to those who've earned it. Most other things being equal, a team in the latter situation shouldn't get left out in favor of a team from the former.

Above was before the edit. Yeah, I'm on board with a play-off or - failing that - a plus-one.

Last edited:
A conference CG is only available to teams in conferences with 12 teams. Everybody else just takes the team with the best record as the champ. If a game decides that, that's a de facto CG.

A conference CG is only available to teams in conferences with 12 teams. Everybody else just takes the team with the best record as the champ. If a game decides that, that's a de facto CG.

De facto CG =/= real CG. Again, not equivalent situations.

ETA: Basically, I think that conferences without a CG should be held to a higher standard than those with one when it comes to a BCSCG birth.

Last edited:
Back