• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU @ Wake Game Thread

Still can't believe that DM kept saying that he realized JC's frosh year talents, but that he couldn't get JC on the court because Devin was playing the same position in front of him.

THEN FIND A WAY TO PLAY THEM BOTH TOGETHER! He needs to play the best hand that he's got.

DM ended up essentially wasting 1/2 of JC's Wake career. :(

I agree with this. It reminds me of how Grobe would say that they wanted to get a player more involved but then they weren't able to. It makes no sense.

Hahaha. It’s not that difficult.

Some of these NbA folks, like Vlade Divac, are not as good at assessing talent as ogboards posters, obviously.

It’s like all those teams passing on Jordan Bell, when anyone could see, at the very least, he is a freak athlete defensive stalwart to rotate in off the bench. The Spurs rotate in King Joffrey Laveurgne and Matt Costello. Lmao.

I’m still pissed about that. He was such an obvious fit.

And they called up an undrafted SG from the G League ahead of their 1st pick SG. The Spurs get a lot of props for their good picks but they’ve drafted some duds.

Still can't believe that DM kept saying that he realized JC's frosh year talents, but that he couldn't get JC on the court because Devin was playing the same position in front of him.

THEN FIND A WAY TO PLAY THEM BOTH TOGETHER! He needs to play the best hand that he's got.

DM ended up essentially wasting 1/2 of JC's Wake career. :(

That's the difference between a good coach and whatever we have.

I'm expecting about 6 PPG and 5 RPG from Sarr next year. Collins' soph season was one of the most offensively efficient seasons in the past decade of college basketball. His offensive skill was very apparent within his first couple games his freshman year. Sarr has the worst offensive rating on the team (by a pretty wide margin) and has not shown even close to the same offensive skill Collins did his freshman season.

Sarr will be a better defender than JC. That may be where he contributes the most for a while.

Can someone point to another team that played two high usage big men, whose offensive games were almost entirely from10 feet in, at the same time?

Legitimate question

Devin was actually a really good passer from the high post. He couldn’t shoot the ball but I feel like they could have overlapped 5-7 minutes a game.

Can someone point to another team that played two high usage big men, whose offensive games were almost entirely from10 feet in, at the same time?

Legitimate question

UNC with all the bigs they have had over the years. Big to big passing. Cuts off the double. Most teams don't have the personnel to do it. Rich people problems.

Legitimate question

Kentucky, Michigan State, UNC, Kansas, Duke...there’s probably a lot more.

Legitimate question

Jacksonville played Artimus Gilmore, 7-2, Pembroke Burroughs, 7-0, and Rod McIntyre, 6-10 at the same time. Of course that was in 1970 but hey, you asked.

no wonder some of you come off as clueless...comparing danny and his 6 years of hc experience to roy and his what, 20? wowww

CharlotteDeac, make sure to start a game thread soon. Aren’t you 2-2 on the season in ACC play?

no wonder some of you come off as clueless...comparing danny and his 6 years of hc experience to roy and his what, 20? wowww

I was simply answering his question using the aforementioned teams that were referenced, not making any comparison based on HC experience.

Sarr will be a better defender than JC. That may be where he contributes the most for a while.

I think so too. I like Sarr a lot and yes he does a lot of Freshman things but to me he has great potential. If the kid hangs around Wake for a while (it seems like I've said that a lot the last 7/8 years), he will be special.

Agree on Sarr. He is going to blossom into a really good player. Just needs to grow up. The fact that he can shoot it from the perimeter is such a blessing. Allows us to play him at the 4 or 5.

Last edited:
Which years?

In the last 5 years or so:

UNC in 14-16 with - Johnson, Meeks, Hicks, McAdoo

KU - '12 had Robinson and Withy

Duke - '15 Okafor and Amile Jefferson

UK - '16 Labissiere and Poythress '15 Cauley-Stein and Towns (he could shoot a little i guess), '14 Cauley-Stein and Randle

MSU - '15 Davis and Costello '18 Ward and Jackson (he shoots 3's at a pretty high % but not his game)

Purdue - '15 and '16 Haas and Hammons

These are just high profile ones.

In the last 5 years or so:

UNC in 14-16 with - Johnson, Meeks, Hicks, McAdoo

KU - '12 had Robinson and Withy Robinson ran the baseline and took a lot of 8-15' Js

Duke - '15 Okafor and Amile Jefferson Jefferson played much of the game at the elbow

UK - '16 Labissiere and Poythress '15 Cauley-Stein and Towns (he could shoot a little i guess), '14 Cauley-Stein and RandleLabissiere only played about 15 mpg much of it with bench players/Poythress drove a lot from the wings. Randle would also handle the ball rather than being permanently posted up

MSU - '15 Davis and Costello '18 Ward and Jackson (he shoots 3's at a pretty high % but not his game)Jaren Jackson has taken 87 twos and 64 threes thus far. He's nothing like having JC and Devin.

Purdue - '15 and '16 Haas and Hammons

These are just high profile ones.

It can be done, but JC was nowhere near ready to do it. Also by playing them together as a double low post, JC's biggest asset of utilizing space would have been neutralized as there would have been very little.

Last edited:
Back