• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, NATHAN HATCH?

deacfan78

Reaction score
WF is not going to fire Danny Manning during the season. Waste of time to discuss it as a possibility.

The question is whether WF will make a move after the season. Think it will finally happen in March, but until it does, impossible to be confident as the University has allowed the basketball program to fall in to the abyss. Also, for all of the anger directed towards Wellman (deserved) and Currie (too early), amazing how Nathan Hatch largely skates; Hatch likes Danny and that is as big a reason that Manning remains as WF HC as any. Realize that Hatch relies on his AD's advice, but Danny Manning is either the #1 or #2 highest paid (and highest profile) WF representative, above Wellman when he was AD and above Currie now. Ultimately the decision to fire or keep Manning will be Hatch's call, after consulting with others.

Why would Hatch like Danny that much?

You would have to ask Nathan, but have been reliably told that Hatch is fond of Danny Manning.

Sometimes, those that post here have to separate their perception of people that they like or hate as an athlete or coach versus who they are as a person. There has been so much vitriol (mostly justified) thrown at Danny Manning as a coach that some have transformed that hate into mistakenly assuming that Manning is a bad person. I don't know Manning, but from those that I have talked to that have a reason to know, Danny Manning is an honorable man. He just isn't suited to coach WF basketball.

Just as fans need to be careful about allowing poor performance to merge into a mis-assessment of character, Hatch needs to separate his respect for Manning as person from his undeniable failure as a coach.

Last edited:
Hatch is absolutely culpable for where we are. He's culpable for the lack of accountability for Ron Wellman. He's culpable for allowing Bz to linger long after it was clear he was an abject failure. He's culpable for Manning's inane contract extension. He's culpable for the failure to rectify the Manning situation.

This thread title is bush league. I believe that Hatch is truly committed to making Wake a diverse university and a welcoming place for all races. Just look at his recent hires for deans. I believe this laudable desire has everything to do with Manning still being our coach. He will be given every possible chance to succeed.

Is he saying that Hatch won't fire Manning because he's black?

Bitching about hiring people in academia who aren’t OWGs? Awesome.

This is so petty. As someone in academia, I damn well hope the president isn’t wasting his time thinking about the success of our basketball team. We have an AD for this purpose.

Is he saying that Hatch won't fire Manning because he's black?

The horse has left the barn....took longer than expected.

How many black coaches - in any sport in any capacity - are employed by Wake ?

Hatch and Currie are forced to schmooze with the BOT, and other Boards throughout the year.

In the off season, does Daniel Manning roll into a meeting with a player to generate enthusiasm? How does that presentation go? Field hockey, followed by men’s hoops? Feel good with the student athletes. Stand and applaud, and Daniel thinks it is for his work?

The BOT can pressure Hatch and Currie to can good Daniel, due to lack of performance.

Or not?

Hatch is absolutely culpable for where we are. He's culpable for the lack of accountability for Ron Wellman. He's culpable for allowing Bz to linger long after it was clear he was an abject failure. He's culpable for Manning's inane contract extension. He's culpable for the failure to rectify the Manning situation.

I've been waiting for the boards to get into this.

FWIW, and since I'm 5 years removed from covering the Deacs, I was told years ago by multiple insiders that the Gaudio firing and subsequent hire of Bz came at the behest of Dr. Hatch- not Ron. And I personally believe that to be the case. What his reasons were/are can be debated forever, but the blame for me starts there. After that, there's plenty of blame to go around, considering all the stakeholders involved.

Carry on.

Hatch is a major problem. If he was gone, we'd be in a lot better shape.

You would have to ask Nathan, but have been reliably told that Hatch is fond of Danny Manning.

Sometimes, those that post here have to separate their perception of people that they like or hate as an athlete or coach versus who they are as a person. There has been so much vitriol (mostly justified) thrown at Danny Manning as a coach that some have transformed that hate into mistakenly assuming that Manning is a bad person. I don't know Manning, but from those that I have talked to that have a reason to know, Danny Manning is an honorable man. He just isn't suited to coach WF basketball.

Just as fans need to be careful about allowing poor performance to merge into a mis-assessment of character, Hatch needs to separate his respect for Manning as person from his undeniable failure as a coach.

I don't really see anyone here making a connection that Danny is a bad person, and this is the last corner of the internet that even cares enough to have an opinion.

Buzz on the other hand was a massive asshole.

Hatch is a major problem. If he was gone, we'd be in a lot better shape.

This is correct. He has also raised the qualifying GPA for new recruits to match that of Ivy League schools. The problem is getting worse not better, and it comes from the top.

Hatch's concern isn't whether or not we win basketball games. His only concern is our athletics don't have a negative impact of the way people view Wake Forest as a top tier academic institution. As long as Danny is doing this, then the job is his.

It’s probably as simple as Hatch being a basketball fan and he liked Manning as a player.

It’s probably as simple as Hatch being a basketball fan and he liked Manning as a player.

Yeah, I liked Manning as a player too, but he sucks as a coach and that's been evident for awhile now.

Yeah, I liked Manning as a player too, but he sucks as a coach and that's been evident for awhile now.

Some people have a tougher time getting there than others.

Back