• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

we also had the Woods/Walker/can't remember if the third guy was AFA or someone else that we were concerned about losing when Skip passed

I sometimes, much more in past years, but it still happens sporadically...have these two quotes pop into my mind and I can't make sense of them coming from the same person just six months apart about one of their employees. It is crazy and I can't believe anybody in the media never took these two quotes and directly asked Ron Wellman to explain what happened between the extension and the firing to cause such a dramatic shift in his opinion.

October 14, 2009: (link: https://godeacs.com/news/2009/10/14/gaudio_receives_contract_extension)
"Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress."

April 7, 2010: (link: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=5064441)
"This was not a snap decision. It was not a snap judgment," said Wellman, who served on the NCAA Division I men's basketball committee this season and was in Indianapolis earlier this week for the Final Four.
"This was not a decision based upon a one-year performance," he added. "We can put up with a disappointment. We have disappointments all the time. But there is a pattern here that needed to be addressed, a 3-year pattern that needed to be addressed."

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

Duration/Day
175 days
October 14, 2009 – April 7, 2010

Dino parked in a handicap spot or something

I sometimes, much more in past years, but it still happens sporadically...have these two quotes pop into my mind and I can't make sense of them coming from the same person just six months apart about one of their employees. It is crazy and I can't believe anybody in the media never took these two quotes and directly asked Ron Wellman to explain what happened between the extension and the firing to cause such a dramatic shift in his opinion.

October 14, 2009: (link: https://godeacs.com/news/2009/10/14/gaudio_receives_contract_extension)
"Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress."

April 7, 2010: (link: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=5064441)
"This was not a snap decision. It was not a snap judgment," said Wellman, who served on the NCAA Division I men's basketball committee this season and was in Indianapolis earlier this week for the Final Four.
"This was not a decision based upon a one-year performance," he added. "We can put up with a disappointment. We have disappointments all the time. But there is a pattern here that needed to be addressed, a 3-year pattern that needed to be addressed."

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

Duration/Day
175 days
October 14, 2009 – April 7, 2010
it's even more insane than the rube that showed up at a home game with a bzzout shirt during one of his rare wins

No, but he kept him here and happy in the mid-90's, when there were plenty of other well financed and major schools that would have loved to have him after the 1995-1997 seasons.
Small correction because Well-Man couldn’t stand GDO and wanted to get rid of him and hire his own going back to Duncan’s freshman year. When we won the 1995 ACCT he went in and asked for a 5 year/$500k per year contract and RW said no. So when GDO won the second in a row in 1996 GDO made him pay by asking for AND getting a 5 year/$750k per year deal.

Look at Wake since Wellman hired [Redacted]. Abject disaster until the last 3 years, and still can't get to the mountain. Zero need to contest any causation or correlation. Disaster. Plane has crashed into the mountain level

Remember when we earnestly thought he was going to hire Brad Stevens?
Supposedly there was a lot of smoke with that firestorm back around 2009-2010 as he was seen as a very good, young up & comer. Then he totally blew up by making the NCAA finals and that took us out. Butler came in real big to keep him.

Todd Lickliter was Stevens predecessor at Butler

He won 70% of his games there and made 2 sweet 16s in 6 seasons

Then went to Iowa and was never heard from again

Wellman showed what was in store for the basketball program when he selected Dino as head coach. There was absolutely nothing on Dino's resume to indicate he was capable of success as a head coach of an ACC basketball program. He would never have been considered for the position had he not been a career assistant to Prosser.
On another note, Dino is our last coach to win an NCAA basketball game.

Hiring Bzdick and Fanning- not one but two. Good Heavens no. Perhaps more unforgivable for me, was hanging on to them so long with proven incompetence. Three Amigos destroying a once proud program.

Things have change a lot since we were ranked #1 in the nation and Dino was our head coach.
giphy.gif

The black and white nature of this gif is appropos, given that that's about how long ago it feels.

Back