• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

Why do other school's big boosters want to win at all costs while Wake's just want to be called a booster, eat chicken fingers and drink booze?

Does Wake attract non-competitive people?

Why do other school's big boosters want to win at all costs while Wake's just want to be called a booster, eat chicken fingers and drink booze?

#noSAT

After 22 years in the WFU community, I think the answer is yes.

Yet most of us on the board are competitive as hell-

I remember even competing with other dads when my son was a new born all those years ago that he had the best looking hair over their kids! :)

I'm going with just simple mathematical odds. The number of people that graduate from Wake is so low that the odds that they are simply non-competitive khaki wearing donks is much higher. All we would need is one or two super competitive caring people and you would be able to swing a big change. Instead you have Don Flow instilling his "Christian values" while getting his velvet glove covered hand jobs in his 1948 chevy fleetline, a remembrance of a better simpler time.

The big boosters want to win........as long as it can be done with a team full of rusty larues

The big donors may be competitive but they trust Wellman to be competitive. That's a mistake.

He proved at the end of [name redacted's] tenure, we should never forget Wellman does not care and totally disregards opinions from die-hard WFU fans

Interestingly, Wellman appears to want to protect WFU by keeping its most high profile sports teams well below competitive. Somehow this complete non sequitur makes sense to him and - alas - to Hatch.

I hasten to add that their prickliness about the peccadilloes of athletes, peccadillos that are quite common, if not universal, among the undergraduate population at Wake (and most any other place) is simply bizarre and a millstone around the neck of the whole university and not just its sports teams. Grow up you silly troglodytes. Just about everybody, athletes included, behaves sophomorically, often on a regular basis, in college. Yet, even without idealized perfect undergraduate behavior, they still manage to become normal adults. You guys are not behaving like enlightened educators but like immature vindictive narrow-minded nannies. A grown man should know the world he lives in.

I can speak from a position perhaps unique on these boards. I've actually sat down with Wellman, in nondescript conference rooms, and been absolutely bitched out for things I didn't do. I've seen him threaten to yank scholarships, to send foreign athletes back to their home countries, and yell at other coaches and administrators for not keeping their charges properly in check. He does indeed talk out of both sides of his mouth, and he does give coaches, in general, very short leashes. But one thing I will say, and others have suggested as much on this thread, his first -- and it seems, only -- priority is protecting Wake Forest's image and reputation. And this is where we find, in general, a fundamental divide between the win-at-all-costs, why-do-we-handicap-ourselves crew, and those that care about Wake Forest the institution, not just Wake Forest sports.

Now personally, I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive, nor should they be. But we should at least collectively acknowledge that he's doing what he thinks is best for Wake Forest, even if we disagree.

If enough people wanted him fired, he'd be gone. The truth is that a whole lot of Wake Forest people care more about the reputation of the University than about the success of its sports teams.

The most damaging thing that has happened to Wake's image and reputation was the AD narrative that Wake was some type of rogue program under Dino. It wasn't true yet the AD fed that line to commentators who repeated it every game.

I can speak from a position perhaps unique on these boards. I've actually sat down with Wellman, in nondescript conference rooms, and been absolutely bitched out for things I didn't do. I've seen him threaten to yank scholarships, to send foreign athletes back to their home countries, and yell at other coaches and administrators for not keeping their charges properly in check. He does indeed talk out of both sides of his mouth, and he does give coaches, in general, very short leashes. But one thing I will say, and others have suggested as much on this thread, his first -- and it seems, only -- priority is protecting Wake Forest's image and reputation. And this is where we find, in general, a fundamental divide between the win-at-all-costs, why-do-we-handicap-ourselves crew, and those that care about Wake Forest the institution, not just Wake Forest sports.

Now personally, I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive, nor should they be. But we should at least collectively acknowledge that he's doing what he thinks is best for Wake Forest, even if we disagree.

If enough people wanted him fired, he'd be gone. The truth is that a whole lot of Wake Forest people care more about the reputation of the University than about the success of its sports teams.

I don't disagree but still, it's not much of an argument. And it does raise the question: how does one protect the integrity of Wake Forest by lying?

The most damaging thing that has happened to Wake's image and reputation was the AD narrative that Wake was some type of rogue program under Dino. It wasn't true yet the AD fed that line to commentators who repeated it every game.

Exactly. The "image" of Wake Forest has been mired at rock bottom for a while directly as a result of the actions Wellman has taken. It's one thing for kids to do dumb things. It's an entirely different thing for adults earning millions of dollars to be completely incompetent at what they do.

Last edited:

I just find it hard to believe that a booster with millions of dollars wouldn't continue to be a booster with millions of dollars if Ron Wellman was removed. I would think they value the University more than one guy.

Very insightful.

Thanks.

In this day of social media and the ability to instantly download one's emotions online, why haven't we heard from any former player, coaches, etc., on how terrible Wellman is?

These people don't realize that the reputation of the university is affected in large part by the success of its sports teams, not some contrived notion that we are smarter, more ethical, and more righteous than other schools. I graduated from undergrad almost 20 years ago. We have had a static national ranking since then. Duke, UVA, Vandy, and even UNC have better academic reputations nationally than we do. They also field much more successful revenue sports teams. I don't think that is a coincidence. If Wake was a top 10 school academically, I could understand somewhat the smug holier than thou attitude that pervades the athletic department, administration, and high level boosters. Meanwhile the next generation of potential big money boosters become more disaffected with each wasted season and continued ineptitude in the athletic department making them more likely to sit on their wallets.

We are going to fit right in

Chattanooga Mocs
East Tennessee State Buccaneers
Furman Paladins
Mercer Bears
Samford Bulldogs
The Citadel Bulldogs
UNC Greensboro Spartans
VMI Keydets
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Western Carolina Catamounts
Wofford Terriers

We are going to fit right in

Chattanooga Mocs
East Tennessee State Buccaneers
Furman Paladins
Mercer Bears
Samford Bulldogs
The Citadel Bulldogs
UNC Greensboro Spartans
VMI Keydets
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Western Carolina Catamounts
Wofford Terriers

Our new peer group.

2v306s2.gif

These people don't realize that the reputation of the university is affected in large part by the success of its sports teams, not some contrived notion that we are smarter, more ethical, and more righteous than other schools. I graduated from undergrad almost 20 years ago. We have had a static national ranking since then. Duke, UVA, Vandy, and even UNC have better academic reputations nationally than we do. They also field much more successful revenue sports teams. I don't think that is a coincidence. If Wake was a top 10 school academically, I could understand somewhat the smug holier than thou attitude that pervades the athletic department, administration, and high level boosters. Meanwhile the next generation of potential big money boosters become more disaffected with each wasted season and continued ineptitude in the athletic department making them more likely to sit on their wallets.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Harvard, Duke or Stanford's reputation is driven by their athletic teams

Back