• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

I've seen some dark times in my 21 years as a Wake fan, but this is the most depressing point I've ever seen Wake basketball. Zero hope.

I've been a Wake Forest Basketball fan for 62 years. This is the most depressing point that I have ever seen . . . and I've been around for some pretty bad basketball teams. (When I was at Wake we used to go to Winston-Salem State to watch Earl Monroe play. Wake sucked.)

Of course its depressing. Wake is no longer everyone's second favorite team. No longer the lovable sad sack that occasionally strikes gold... ok, silver.

The last 10 years have shown that 1 - the wake administration does not care about winning. 2 - there is no accountability 3 - arrogance permeates the top and most of us are not wanted. 4 - free dummy

I've been a Wake Forest Basketball fan for 62 years. This is the most depressing point that I have ever seen . . . and I've been around for some pretty bad basketball teams. (When I was at Wake we used to go to Winston-Salem State to watch Earl Monroe play. Wake sucked.)

We should pay attention to this poster. That 62 years ago comment is interesting, since 62 years ago was right after Hemric, and just prior to Chappell/Packer. What did you think about our final four run?

I've seen some dark times in my 21 years as a Wake fan, but this is the most depressing point I've ever seen Wake basketball. Zero hope.

I've seen some dark times in my 40 years as a Wake fan, but this is the most depressing point I've ever seen Wake basketball. Zero hope.

I was a freshman 61-62 and basketball was great fun. Preranked #3 - Ohio State #1. We played them the 3rd game (I think) at home and got beat badly. Had a really solid season and won the ACC tourney. Only one team the conference was eligible then and we had some great games going to the semi - again against Ohio State. And they beat us again. In those days they played a consolation game and we beat UCLA - last game they lost for a long time. But so much was different then. No freshmen, no dunking, no time clock. Imagine Duke the last number of years with eligible freshmen.

Also, basketball was all we had because football sucked. Think we won 5 games our first 3 seasons until 64 when Piccolo and Mackovic helped carry us. Ah, good times.

We should pay attention to this poster. That 62 years ago comment is interesting, since 62 years ago was right after Hemric, and just prior to Chappell/Packer. What did you think about our final four run?

This seems to be the thread where all of the "ole-timers" are venting, so I will take this opportunity to state that I am not renewing my basketball season tickets that I have had since 1965. When Wellman causes me and the others of my ilk to drop out it should tell those in power, especially Currie, how stupid the decision is to retain Mannequin.

I do not make my decision lightly, based on the following:

* Saw my first BB game live in 1957.
* Saw my first ACC tourney game in Raleigh in 1960.
* Saw: the last second shot against the goats in the tourney in Tacy's first year, the score-board game against the goats, Charlie Thomas hanging on the rim, etc., etc., etc.
* Attended in person away BB and FB games in the following cities: Raleigh, Greensboro, Greenville, Charlotte, Boone, Durham, Rock Hill, Clemson, Columbia, Charleston, Athens, Atlanta, Miami, Miami Beach, Orlando, Birmingham, Knoxville, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, D.C., Landover, Villanova, Annapolis, New York City, Syracuse, West Point, Tucson, Santa Clara, Stanford, and some I have probably forgotten.
* Season ticket holder in both BB and FB since 1965.

If Wellman's stupidity can result in causing die-hards like me and others to drop out I do not know what else can be said. I survived Staak and (name redacted) but there is no justification for Mannequin's record, especially three seasons of 20 losses. There is a commitment but the commitment is only to less than mediocrity.

I must admit that the final straw for me was having attend the home games this year and be outnumbered by fans of the visiting teams. Plus, being surrounded by obnoxious fans(especially for the second straight year by drunken State fans) and having to endure the chants of "Tar Heels", "Wolf Pack", "Blue Devils", and believe it or not the worst of all, " Go Orange". Only a fool would continue to pay $700+ a season to watch a stoic/neck twitching coach and listen to the other teams cheer on your home court. This past year was like being in a room of black boards being climbed by 100 cats or sitting thru 17 root canals.

I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seems to be the thread where all of the "ole-timers" are venting, so I will take this opportunity to state that I am not renewing my basketball season tickets that I have had since 1965. When Wellman causes me and the others of my ilk to drop out it should tell those in power, especially Currie, how stupid the decision is to retain Mannequin.

* Saw: the last second shot against the goats in the tourney in Tacy's first year, the score-board game against the goats, Charlie Thomas hanging on the rim, etc., etc., etc.
* Attended in person away BB and FB games in the following cities: Raleigh, Greensboro, Greenville, Charlotte, Boone, Durham, Rock Hill, Clemson, Columbia, Charleston, Athens, Atlanta, Miami, Miami Beach, Orlando, Birmingham, Knoxville, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, D.C., Landover, Villanova, Annapolis, New York City, Syracuse, West Point, Tucson, Santa Clara, Stanford, and some I have probably forgotten.

If Wellman's stupidity can result in causing die-hards like me and others to drop out I do not know what else can be said. I survived Staak and (name redacted) but there is no justification for Mannequin's record, especially three seasons of 20 losses. There is a commitment but the commitment is only to less than mediocrity.

I must admit that the final straw for me was having attend the home games this year and be outnumbered by fans of the visiting teams. Plus, being surrounded by obnoxious fans(especially for the second straight year by drunken State fans) and having to endure the chants of "Tar Heels", "Wolf Pack", "Blue Devils", and believe it or not the worst of all, " Go Orange". Only a fool would continue to pay $700+ a season to watch a stoic/neck twitching coach and listen to the other teams cheer on your home court. This past year was like being in a room of black boards being climbed by 100 cats or sitting thru 17 root canals.

I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said. I would say forward it to John Currie, but you've got to think he reads this stuff.

Thank you, JOJESMA.

I could almost forgive Wellman if he hadn't given Manning such a damn dumb extension. :rulz:

I was a freshman 61-62 and basketball was great fun. Preranked #3 - Ohio State #1. We played them the 3rd game (I think) at home and got beat badly. Had a really solid season and won the ACC tourney. Only one team the conference was eligible then and we had some great games going to the semi - again against Ohio State. And they beat us again. In those days they played a consolation game and we beat UCLA - last game they lost for a long time. But so much was different then. No freshmen, no dunking, no time clock. Imagine Duke the last number of years with eligible freshmen.

Also, basketball was all we had because football sucked. Think we won 5 games our first 3 seasons until 64 when Piccolo and Mackovic helped carry us. Ah, good times.

The no dunking rule was only instated when Lew Alcindor, or Kareem Abdul Jabbar, played at UCLA, iirc 1965, when Alcindor entered UCLA.

I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When people like this leave, it's just about over. Maybe Currie can oversee an outstanding golf and tennis team.

Last edited:

I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't right, this is not how you treat people, sir. Wake doesnt deserve you as a fan or graduate. I hope you are able to do something enjoyable with you money next year. The school has lost its soul.

I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I’m sorry. You didn’t deserve this.

Have you had a chance to talk to anyone in the Deacon Club yet?

Man, I’m sorry. You didn’t deserve this.

Have you had a chance to talk to anyone in the Deacon Club yet?

Yes, I sent a version of the above, within 30 minutes, as a reply to the email that Wellman sent out at 8:42 a.m. on Friday announcing his decision.

Yes, I sent a version of the above, within 30 minutes, as a reply to the email that Wellman sent out at 8:42 a.m. on Friday announcing his decision.

I don't think anybody reads the replies to those autoemails. They may from you given your DC position or if you are sending it to your DC rep instead of the generating e-mail address, but for years I've been responding to those emails with things like "Fuck you incompetent assholes, stop emailing me until Wellman [or [Redacted] or Manning depending on my mood] dies or resigns in shame" without any response and the emails keep coming.

Right around 9/11 I worked at a place that would get calls from pissed off people all the time. We had an empty desk with just a phone and voicemail with a name plate of "Mohammed". Anytime somebody got super fired up on the phone we would say, "hold on, let me transfer you to our customer relations supervisor, Mohammed", and we would transfer the person to the empty desk. Someone would go over there once a month and hit delete on dozens of voicemails without anyone ever listening to them. I get the same sense that Mohammed now has a desk in the Wake Athletic Department.

I don't think anybody reads the replies to those autoemails. They may from you given your DC position or if you are sending it to your DC rep instead of the generating e-mail address, but for years I've been responding to those emails with things like "Fuck you incompetent assholes, stop emailing me until Wellman [or [name redacted] or Manning depending on my mood] dies or resigns in shame" without any response and the emails keep coming.

Yeah, JOJESMA, forward the email to your DC rep and copy Wellman/Currie. There's probably not even an inbox on the other end of the address you replied to.

I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.

Part sad, part post of the year (maybe enough of these and Currie might at least consider NON "significant improvement" at 8-6 record non-conference and can Manning before ACC play next year about Jan. 10, 2020).

Hah, one can dream.

Back