• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

I'm not sure there are enough students who actually care about basketball enough to roll the quad on May 1st. Its the lost decade for student interest as well.

I'm not sure there are enough students who actually care about basketball enough to roll the quad on May 1st. Its the lost decade for student interest as well.

Would be interesting to survey this year's senior class and ask if they came to Wake as a fan of the basketball program (we're not the Holes; prob majority were fans of other schools growing up), and do they now as an alumni consider themselves a fan/follower/supporter of the team going forward. And if not, a) do you have another basketball team you follow, b) do you consider yourself a fan/follower/supporter of other Wake teams such as soccer, football, tennis, etc.
As a 70's grad, students in our day were rabid basketball fans, we sorta cared about football but understood why we sucked so not a big deal, and we could name every men's golfer and PGA alum. I'm guessing we have seniors this year who have been to lots of soccer games, most of the football games and the occasional tennis match, field hockey, etc., but other than Duke no basketball games since their freshman year. That's sad for a charter ACC member.

I'm guessing we have seniors this year who have been to lots of soccer games, most of the football games and the occasional tennis match, field hockey, etc., but other than Duke no basketball games since their freshman year. That's sad for a charter ACC member.

These last 10 years have cost our AD and programs millions upon millions in revenue and DC giving. But the real kicker is going to be when the alums who graduated the last 10 years reach their peak giving ages. Wellman, much like a STD, is the gift that keeps on giving.

These last 10 years have cost our AD and programs millions upon millions in revenue and DC giving.

If you only read these boards, you might think that would be the case, but Deacon Club fund raising continues to set records. One could argue they may have raised even more money if basketball was performing well, but the reality is that the Deacon Club has had record donations over the past 10 years https://godeacs.com/news/2017/8/29/Athletics_Celebrates_Largest_Capital_Buildout_.aspx

If you only read these boards, you might think that would be the case, but Deacon Club fund raising continues to set records. One could argue they may have raised even more money if basketball was performing well, but the reality is that the Deacon Club has had record donations over the past 10 years https://godeacs.com/news/2017/8/29/Athletics_Celebrates_Largest_Capital_Buildout_.aspx

20 major donors? The bulk of alums/fans giving is down. Be transparent. Right.

1) Large gifts are quite different from general giving. You can find someone wanting to put their name on a building in the worst of times. Pointing to large capital projects as evidence that giving hasn't dropped off the last 10 years is absurd.

2) It's not hard at all to argue that they would have raised more money. I know plenty of people away from these forums (most of who posted at one point before the Bzzaster began) who have stopped giving, and every Wake forum around the internet is full of people who say the same. The empty stands are there for anyone and everyone to see. It doesn't require reading these boards.

The argument isn't about how much money has been raised. The argument is about how much money could have been raised. It's not a difficult concept.

Last edited:
20 major donors? The bulk of alums/fans giving is down. Be transparent. Right.

The link within the link I provided indicates that there were 15,761 donors and 2,827 new donors. It also states, "The 2016-17 year also established a new precedent for the Deacon Club Annual Fund, shattering previous records for number of active donors, number of new members and total dollars raised."

1) Large gifts are quite different from general giving. You can find someone wanting to put their name on a building in the worst of times. Pointing to large capital projects as evidence that giving hasn't dropped off the last 10 years is absurd.

2) It's not hard at all to argue that they would have raised more money. I know plenty of people away from these forums (most of who posted at one point before the Bzzaster began) who have stopped giving, and every Wake forum around the internet is full of people who say the same. The empty stands are there for anyone and everyone to see. It doesn't require reading these boards.

The argument isn't about how much money has been raised. The argument is about how much money could have been raised. It's not a difficult concept.

As I stated in my first post, I think it's certainly reasonable to argue that more money could have been raised if the basketball team was performing well. But I think it's also important to acknowledge the reality of the situation, and that the Deacon Club is setting records for money raised and number of donors. Basketball is super important, but so is football. I'm sure the Deacon Club also has lots of supporters that are happy to support soccer, tennis, golf, baseball, etc.

if you can't win in your premier sport, it's important to admit children from rich families

STUDENTS FROM ... THE TOP 1% ($630K+) BOTTOM 60% (<$65K)
1. Washington University in St. Louis 21.7 6.1
2. Colorado College 24.2 10.5
3. Washington and Lee University 19.1 8.4
4. Colby College 20.4 11.1
5. Trinity College (Conn.) 26.2 14.3
6. Bucknell University 20.4 12.2
7. Colgate University 22.6 13.6
8. Kenyon College 19.8 12.2
9. Middlebury College 22.8 14.2
10. Tufts University 18.6 11.8
12. Georgetown University 20.8 13.5
13. Notre Dame 15.4 10.0
14. Vanderbilt University 22.8 14.9
16. Dartmouth College 20.7 14.4
20. Wake Forest University 21.7 17.0

The link within the link I provided indicates that there were 15,761 donors and 2,827 new donors. It also states, "The 2016-17 year also established a new precedent for the Deacon Club Annual Fund, shattering previous records for number of active donors, number of new members and total dollars raised."

Well, this shows why Wake Basketball is the shit show that it is. If people will pay premium dollars for a shit sandwich, why bother to give them steak.

There are at least 15,761 dumbasses affiliated with Wake Forest.

Well, this shows why Wake Basketball is the shit show that it is. If people will pay premium dollars for a shit sandwich, why bother to give them steak.

Or, maybe people also support the other sports?

Perhaps those polishing this turd cherry picked data from the John Collins bubble.

This is an important issue to discuss, but it's a complete non sequitur regarding this discussion. Is Notre Dame struggling to win in football?

no, Notre Dame is not struggling to win in football

non-sequitur? my hypothesis is that there is a correlation between the wealth of individuals admitted to WFU and subsequent giving to WFU and its sports programs

do you dispute this hypothesis?

Last edited:
Perhaps those polishing this turd cherry picked data from the John Collins bubble.

It was the first link I found. If you can find one more recent, or that suggests a different premise, I would be interested to read it.

I'm not trying to "polish" the bball team. That program is a mess. I am pointing out that the Deacon Club seems to be doing quite well, and my theory is that it is driven by other sports. We have the top amateur woman in the world in golf, the reigning NCAA champs in tennis, and upon conclusion of the past fall sports season, the top ranked AD in the ACC (and #6 in the country). We have also won 3 straight bowl games for the first time ever.

no, Notre Dame is not struggling to win in football

non-sequitor? my hypothesis is that there is a correlation between the wealth of individuals admitted to WFU and subsequent giving to WFU and its sports programs

do you dispute this hypothesis?

I guess I misunderstood your post. I took it to mean that if the bball team is struggling, the school needs to make money another way, so they admit rich students. I think the success/failures of the bball team have little to do with the type of students that are admitted, which is why it seemed non sequitur.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are simply arguing that Wake is associated with rich families, so the Deacon Club receives a lot of donations? I think there is certainly truth in that, though I think Wake has always admitted rich students, so that wouldn't explain the record-setting Deacon Club numbers (especially the number of DC members).

I guess I misunderstood your post. I took it to mean that if the bball team is struggling, the school needs to make money another way, so they admit rich students. I think the success/failures of the bball team have little to do with the type of students that are admitted, which is why it seemed non sequitur.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are simply arguing that Wake is associated with rich families, so the Deacon Club receives a lot of donations? I think there is certainly truth in that, though I think Wake has always admitted rich students, so that wouldn't explain the record-setting Deacon Club numbers (especially the number of DC members).

yeah, that's what I'm saying

and WF has always admitted rich students, but they didn't switch away from need-blind admission to admit fewer rich students, so again, my theory is that they're recruiting (and admitting) more of them

finally, rich families seem to be helping the volleyball team

15,761 who disagree with you make THEM dumbasses ?

Last edited:
Back