• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck you, Science!

So, Doc, "What are the results of the tests."
Well, I've got some bad news for you. No more smoking.
OK, I guess I can live with that.
There's more. No more drinking.
You mean alcohol?
Yes, and no more sweets.
Aw come on.
Sorry, and no more meat either.
Is that it?
Nope. No more sex.
This is terrible Doc, and if I give all these up, will I live longer?
No, but it will seem longer.

Thanks science.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...university-jobs-for-americas-young-scientists

Imagine a job where about half of all the work is being done by people who are in training. That's, in fact, what happens in the world of biological and medical research.

In the United States, more than 40,000 temporary employees known as postdoctoral research fellows are doing science at a bargain price. And most postdocs are being trained for jobs that don't actually exist.

Academic institutions graduate an overabundance of biomedical Ph.D.s — and this imbalance is only getting worse, as research funding from the National Institutes of Health continues to wither.

Yep. The stagnant job market encourages people to get more and more education. Tuition dollars are going to capital improvements and administration positions rather than faculty lines.

The problem is much more pronounced in the natural sciences though. I've never heard of a social science PhD cycling through multiple post-docs for 10 years, but it's common in natural sciences.

A big eff u goes out to pretty much the last 50 years of nutrition diet research that brought us the recommendations for low-fat, low-cholesterol, high carb, high sugar diets. Not looking like such a good idea any more.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Just read this book which goes into all the personalities and political pressure which caused low-fat/high-carb to be the official government-sanctioned position, with precious little scientific support. http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Fat-Surprise-Healthy/dp/1451624425

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...university-jobs-for-americas-young-scientists

Imagine a job where about half of all the work is being done by people who are in training. That's, in fact, what happens in the world of biological and medical research.

In the United States, more than 40,000 temporary employees known as postdoctoral research fellows are doing science at a bargain price. And most postdocs are being trained for jobs that don't actually exist.

Academic institutions graduate an overabundance of biomedical Ph.D.s — and this imbalance is only getting worse, as research funding from the National Institutes of Health continues to wither.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Many PhD candidates are kept on a slow track so their advisers can get extra years of insanely cheap research labor out of them. 20k/year stipend for a 5th or 6th year doctoral student is cheaper than paying a postdoc fellow. And those people are very actively discouraged from moonlighting. I've know quite a few who picked up adjunct work at Forsyth Tech or WSSU to make some extra money and caught hell for it.

Not "fuck you" yet, but if a particle accelerator creates a black hole that swallows the earth, then, yeah, "fuck you, science."

Not "fuck you" yet, but if a particle accelerator creates a black hole that swallows the earth, then, yeah, "fuck you, science."

Hawking Radiation laughs at this notion. As does Stephen Hawking.

Science created plastic and other non-biodegradable consumer products and packagings that are now littering our Mother Earth. Those plastic 6-pack holders are choking fish and turtles in the ocean - I get emails about it from my enviro friends and it makes me cry when I see a picture of a turtle being choked by a 6-pack holder.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Many PhD candidates are kept on a slow track so their advisers can get extra years of insanely cheap research labor out of them. 20k/year stipend for a 5th or 6th year doctoral student is cheaper than paying a postdoc fellow. And those people are very actively discouraged from moonlighting. I've know quite a few who picked up adjunct work at Forsyth Tech or WSSU to make some extra money and caught hell for it.

I got spoiled by the COL in Winston-Salem, big time. Living on a $24k/year stipend there is a breeze compared grad students' living situations in other cities, especially in the north. Up here, where the going rate for a dilapidated 1BR is about $1100, the grad students in my department mostly live in "alternative student housing" which goes for about $800/month, plus a roommate... more than what I paid in W-S to live alone in a 2BR. It definitely ain't a glamorous 4-6 years for most.

I got spoiled by the COL in Winston-Salem, big time. Living on a $24k/year stipend there is a breeze compared grad students' living situations in other cities, especially in the north. Up here, where the going rate for a dilapidated 1BR is about $1100, the grad students in my department mostly live in "alternative student housing" which goes for about $800/month, plus a roommate... more than what I paid in W-S to live alone in a 2BR. It definitely ain't a glamorous 4-6 years for most.

Grad students: you da' real MVP. LOL

Is "wrangor fucks christ doll" one of the top 10 worst tags ever on here? At least top 20? (i'm laughing).

You serious, Clark?

Yes, I'm serious that Hawking has been wrong before. He's admitted as much. I acknowledge that it is well accepted that mini black holes aren't going to swallow the earth, but, at one point in time, the theory of the ether was well accepted too.

Yes, I'm serious that Hawking has been wrong before. He's admitted as much. I acknowledge that it is well accepted that mini black holes aren't going to swallow the earth, but, at one point in time, the theory of the ether was well accepted too.

OK.

Back