• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Full Leather Thru-hiking Boots

discdude

Lampin in the cut
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation? I've worked Merrells for years, but I have never gone full leather. I'm looking to go leather for durability. My concern is that I still want breathability. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Where are you going and why do you think you want full grain?

I've never worn all leather hiking boot, but I have worn a few pairs of all leather bunker boots. Going full leather, you're going to lose breathabilty. Our boots are nearly as comfortable as tennis shoes but do not breathe well at all. Its just the nature of all leather.

Durability was my main reason for a switch. I do a lot of multi-day hikes with reasonable weight. I'm sick of ripping through Merrells.

I've never worn all leather hiking boot, but I have worn a few pairs of all leather bunker boots. Going full leather, you're going to lose breathabilty. Our boots are nearly as comfortable as tennis shoes but do not breathe well at all. Its just the nature of all leather.

I know this is the case, and it is my main concern with a switch to full leather.

Which Merrells were you in?
The thing with a lot of full-grain leather boots is that you're also getting a 3/4 shank. If you're used to wearing something like Merrell Moabs and switch to something like the Asolo 520, you'll feel like you're wearing brick ovens on your feet.
Where do you do most of your hiking and what time of year?

If you can air them out easily after each use, I think they'd work fine for day trips. Not sure that I would recommend all leather for a through hike of the Appalachian Trail. I've worn mine for upwards of 6 hours at a time, and I keep an extra pair of socks in my gear bag. Nothing is worse than swamp foot.

I will say, too, that Merrells are not known for their durability...

I will say, too, that Merrells are not known for their durability...

So, let's say I forgo full grain. Any recommendations outside of Merrell world? I hike mostly App Trail sections, but I am moving to Denver in a couple of months.

Edit: ah posted after your rec. Thanks.

That would be for a full boot with support; there are lots of other options if you just want a low or mid hiker. Depends on your ankles, etc.

Depending on how your foot is will change suggestions, too. Solomons have a wider toe box but narrower heel, so it doesn't fit a lot of wider feet.
The Asolo Fugitive is an awesome boot, I'd check those out too.
http://www.rei.com/product/706762/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boots-mens <-- they're going to be warmer/sturdier than the Solomons linked above, but they really are fantastic boots.
Keens are good for wider feet and have a good combo of leather and nylon uppers for breathability. These are similar-ish to the others posted so far:
http://www.rei.com/product/813907/keen-gypsum-wp-mid-hiking-boots-mens

Was actually thinking about posting a thread myself asking for hiking boots recommendations.

I'll be spending two weeks in Israel, hiking just about every day. Lot of dry, rocky terrain. What should I be looking for?

Danner fan here. For a full leather boot that can provide proper support for backpacking trips, you can't go wrong with the Mountain Light:

Danners are pretty bomb-proof.

A couple of college buddies and I do 15 days on the AT every year and are working on section hiking the entire thing. I pack about 35-40 pounds worth of gear because i like to be comfortable and eat a variety of shit. I swear by Asics Trail Runners. Light, durable, breathable, and about 50 bucks. They normally last about 2 trips with all my hiking in between before they wear down past usable tread. I was worried about the bottoms of my feet being tender at the end of the day, but it's never been an issue. I'll never go back to boots.

A couple of college buddies and I do 15 days on the AT every year and are working on section hiking the entire thing. I pack about 35-40 pounds worth of gear because i like to be comfortable and eat a variety of shit. I swear by Asics Trail Runners. Light, durable, breathable, and about 50 bucks. They normally last about 2 trips with all my hiking in between before they wear down past usable tread. I was worried about the bottoms of my feet being tender at the end of the day, but it's never been an issue. I'll never go back to boots.

This man knowns what's up.

Trail hikers like that have their merits (I do 90% of my hiking around here in Brooks pure grits, and Brooks Cascadias are the footwear of choice for PCT thru-hikers until they get to Washington) - but not everyone can wear them. Some people do need the stability of a boot, and some people are going to be harder on the nylon/mesh upper of a trail runner. The OP was looking for durable; I wouldn't recommend trail runners to fit that bill. Plus, if he's moving to Denver (and has any aspirations of hiking some of the 14ers around there) he'll probably want something a little warmer/taller/waterproof for snowy sections.

I've never had full leather boots, but I have a buddy who absolutely swore by Vasque Sundowners. I think the quality may have declined recently though.

Back