• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/sl2J2lE"><a href="//imgur.com/sl2J2lE">Jon Snow, Dragonborn First of his Nammeeeeeeeeeee</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

fG8VLRQ.jpg

The more I reevaluate that episode in the light of day, the more disappointed I am by it. Obvi the Arya and Lyanna moment were badass, but the more I think about all of it, the worse it looks, especially all the build-up of the Night King. To be fair though, that episode kills off the one aspect of the show IDGAF about and lets us focus on what's made the show great for so long.

Scene by scene, it was spectacular. However, plot holes are a bitch.

We watched it again tonight, and I liked it better the second time. For starters, knowing what happened (kind of) made it easier to "see" what was going on in the darkness. Also, I was able to pick up more of the nuances and foreshadowing this time around. Much like they say the game slows down for a player as he gets more experience, it was like the episode slowed down the second time. Also watched the Inside the Episode thing, and that helped clarify and confirm some things.

I forgot how dumb it is that the wights swarmed a full grown dragon right beside John Snow, who held his own for 10-15 minutes a few yards away

For the record, I am not hating on Arya killing the Night King. I don't think that's a terrible way to go. What I want to know is:

1. From when we left Arya as Melisandre was setting her on her way, how did Arya get out to the Weirwood?
2. If we just let that go and call it plot magic, how did she get past all the White Walkers without these seemingly, close-to-omniscient things sensing or seeing her?
3. If she somehow managed to pull that off, where was she coming from that she was leaping down, from behind the Night King, from that high up? What kind of vertical does she have?

I mean, there's a lot of leaps in logic to have that happen, but that sort of thing has happened a lot in GoT since about season 5 or 6. Emphasis has shifted from cool characters driving the plot with decisions that have real consequence, to characters going completely out of character to make a stupid decision that gets the plot to where it needs to be so we can have a "cool moment."

Also watched it again - can definitely verify the HBO Go version at full throughput is far superior to any of the broadcast versions as a source. It's still softened quite a bit, ironically made obvious by the superior quality of the clips in the "behind the episode" afterwards, but knocking up the brightness a bit made the episode much easier to follow. Hopefully they'll put out a polished 4k version at some point, because after agreeing with a lot of the criticism initially, it definitely holds up under a 2nd viewing. There are a lot of subtleties that refute most of the tactical criticisms throughout, and even if the overall plot lacked a "holy shit" moment that so many of the fan predictions were hoping for, the execution of the episode as a whole was pretty incredible. The opening tracking shot was great, the Melisandre walk-off was great, and there were a dozen or more incredible moments throughout. Yeah, probably too many main characters survived and there were some plot disappointments, so I get the reaction of the whole being less than the sum of its parts. But to me it was the opposite.

The direction was incredible. They squeezed every ounce and more out of the script. The story just fell flat for me mostly because the NK fell flat. Other than Bolton and Joffrey, our villains have been shades of grey in this series. Joff and Ramsey are broken people with at least some understandable origins of their assholery. The NK as some simple malevolent force after the promise of Hardhome just feels so lazy. I think I would have been more comfortable with it had they not added those human expressions towards the end. The smirk/smile gave some humanity to a character with no depth. It’s just disappointing, but at least it’s out of the way.

Watched it again last night. How did Jorah manage to make it back alive after riding with the Dothraki charge?

I don't have anything to say that wasn't said already, but that's never stopped me before.

Enjoyed the episode, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype that I had created in my own mind.

More main characters should have died... The way that some of them managed to get out of hopeless situations was almost comical.

Some great visuals (when I could actually see what was going on).

Glad we still have 3 episodes left to complete the part of the story that is more interesting.

The direction was incredible. They squeezed every ounce and more out of the script. The story just fell flat for me mostly because the NK fell flat. Other than Bolton and Joffrey, our villains have been shades of grey in this series. Joff and Ramsey are broken people with at least some understandable origins of their assholery. The NK as some simple malevolent force after the promise of Hardhome just feels so lazy. I think I would have been more comfortable with it had they not added those human expressions towards the end. The smirk/smile gave some humanity to a character with no depth. It’s just disappointing, but at least it’s out of the way.

Yep good post. Disappointed with the lack of explanation but the show is better with the human drama which we are back to.

Cercei’s play was genius

While the scene with the Dothraki was badass, how do you piss away the world's fiercest warriors like that. General Jon Snow is a shit tactician.

Yep good post. Disappointed with the lack of explanation but the show is better with the human drama which we are back to.

Cercei’s play was genius

unless the night king and his minions won... then they would have just added to their numbers with the dead from the BOW

While the scene with the Dothraki was badass, how do you piss away the world's fiercest warriors like that. General Jon Snow is a shit tactician.

I was hoping so hard that the Dothraki and their horses were going to charge right back at the living army after being turned by the NK. Would have served them right for sacrificing their cav like that. Morons.

Good point, we never saw the Dothraki or their horses come back as dead did we?

I was hoping so hard that the Dothraki and their horses were going to charge right back at the living army after being turned by the NK. Would have served them right for sacrificing their cav like that. Morons.

GOT doesn't GAF about POC, bro.

Back