• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Stannis is.

Stannis is by law the rightful heir.

All the mystery surrounding Jon Snow's mother makes it seem like he's going to end up being part Targaryean in the end and end up with Dany.

HBO ending: Jon Snow and Dany fall madly in love, defeat the evil queen Cersei, Stannis, and the Boltons.

George R. R. Martin's ending: White walkers show up. Everybody dies.

There is a major theory about Jon snow's mom. Pretty easy to figure out or find. Not really many hints from the shoW. More from the book.

Yeah probs, so does that indicate to us she's probably survived in the books for sure then too?

Interesting take. I remember reading her death a few times trying to understand/look for holes.

I doubt at this point with how bad books 4 and 5 were that the writers of the show are tied whatsoever to martin. I mean briennes storyline in the books is a giant just waste of nothingness. In the show she's met both the starks and killed the hound

She's very clearly alive the last time we see her in the books, and not in any immediate danger.

Man I just flew the books every night from 11 until 1am, often with a very solid buzz and don't remember any of this shit. Last couple books were so bad

Yeah. I don't remember any of this shit. The last couple were like 600 pages of filler and 100 of stuff that matters. Unfortunately, I remember neither.

Stannis is by law the rightful heir.

All the mystery surrounding Jon Snow's mother makes it seem like he's going to end up being part Targaryean in the end and end up with Dany.

HBO ending: Jon Snow and Dany fall madly in love, defeat the evil queen Cersei, Stannis, and the Boltons.

George R. R. Martin's ending: White walkers show up. Everybody dies.

I think Bran will warg into the dragons and then Dany will fall in love with Sansa and they'll have hot lesbo sex on the iron throne

ah, checked wiki and forgot about that. Yeah, I don't remember that book.

Yeah wtf how did I forget that too..

The books had some timelines happening concurrently though, right? Is there a chance her appearance in the 5th book preceded the stoneheart encounter? I can't get a handle on the timelines in my head.

Yeah wtf how did I forget that too..

The books had some timelines happening concurrently though, right? Is there a chance her appearance in the 5th book preceded the stoneheart encounter? I can't get a handle on the timelines in my head.

No it's after. AFFC and the first 60% of ADWD are concurrent. The second portion of ADWD is merging the storylines. She and Jaime leave presumably to see Stoneheart in ADWD.

No it's after. AFFC and the first 60% of ADWD are concurrent. The second portion of ADWD is merging the storylines. She and Jaime leave presumably to see Stoneheart in ADWD.

:werd: cool. Thanks for remembering! :)

In a season with a huge amount of plot and limited minutes, the show seems to be spending a lot of time on characters that aren't even alive (Lyanna and Rhaegar). It remains to be seen whether it's simply to provide some context and history or dropping hints that lead to the popular "John Snow is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son" theory.

Last night, with only 500 minutes for the entire season, the show dedicated multiple scenes to:
- Stannis stating that Ned Stark wouldn't have just banged a random tavern wench.
- A prolonged scene in the Stark crypt about Lyanna and how Rhaegar was drawn to her. At the end of the scene, Littlefinger's face seems to be skeptical of Sansa's statement that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna.
- A lesson of the history of Rhaegar from Ser Barristan to Dany, in which Barristan states that Rhaegar was a good man who liked to sing and took no pleasure in killing (even if he was a brilliant fighter).

Maybe the show just wants to screw with people, especially book readers. But if that is true then oh well, it's fun to speculate.

Last edited:
In a season with a huge amount of plot and limited minutes, the show seems to be spending a lot of time on characters that aren't even alive (Lyanna and Rhaegar). It remains to be seen whether it's simply to provide some context and history or dropping hints that lead to the popular "John Snow is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son" theory.

Last night, with only 500 minutes for the entire season, the show dedicated multiple scenes to:
- Stannis stating that Ned Stark wouldn't have just banged a random tavern wench.
- A prolonged scene in the Stark crypt about Lyanna and how Rhaegar was drawn to her. At the end of the scene, Littlefinger's face seems to be skeptical of Sansa's statement that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna.
- A lesson of the history of Rhaegar from Ser Barristan to Dany, in which Barristan states that Rhaegar was a good man who liked to sing and took no pleasure in killing (even if he was a brilliant fighter).

Maybe the show just wants to screw with people, especially book readers. But if that is true then oh well, it's fun to speculate.

don't think they are messing with book readers. all those stories, mostly for the first time, hint to viewers that there is more to the reason robert baratheon went to war that the kidnapping of his betrothed. readers did not learn of the tourney at harrenhall from littlefinger but basically the same story came from jojen reed in the book.

So we are seeing some pretty big departures from the book so far this season.

Davos is not in white harbor - can't find out about rickon. will the manderly's still show up for sansa's wedding? maybe they meet up with stannis on the way??

mellisandra heads south with stannis rather than stay at castle black. as far as we see jon did not recommend stannis gather up the highlander peeps to take with him.

tormand is captured and sent north of the wall and demands jon go with him.

the entire billion pages of tyrion's travel log down the river. scrap that whole plot of peeps heading over to try and take back the throne and gives mormont the grey scale. no barriston to counter (or support??) tyrion's version of events. i guess varys may still end up in mereen.

every time a new tangent disappears i feel like it does not really matter in the books. either that or the series creators and martin have charted a path that is quite separate from the books. i originally assumed if they passed the books they would still hit the major points and only trim the fat. now i am thinking they are trimming the fat that bloated the books to nearly unmanageable levels.

will sam still leave for old town? i think he might since they dropped hints about aemon and the library talk with gilly. will jon give aemon permission to go to danerys? something like "go ask her to come to help us against the white walker's"

Wyman Manderly is straight gangsta for cooking those Frey boys in pies for Ramsay's wedding. Complete boss. Would love to see them enter the mix.

So we are seeing some pretty big departures from the book so far this season.

Davos is not in white harbor - can't find out about rickon. will the manderly's still show up for sansa's wedding? maybe they meet up with stannis on the way??

mellisandra heads south with stannis rather than stay at castle black. as far as we see jon did not recommend stannis gather up the highlander peeps to take with him.

tormand is captured and sent north of the wall and demands jon go with him.

the entire billion pages of tyrion's travel log down the river. scrap that whole plot of peeps heading over to try and take back the throne and gives mormont the grey scale. no barriston to counter (or support??) tyrion's version of events. i guess varys may still end up in mereen.

every time a new tangent disappears i feel like it does not really matter in the books. either that or the series creators and martin have charted a path that is quite separate from the books. i originally assumed if they passed the books they would still hit the major points and only trim the fat. now i am thinking they are trimming the fat that bloated the books to nearly unmanageable levels.

will sam still leave for old town? i think he might since they dropped hints about aemon and the library talk with gilly. will jon give aemon permission to go to danerys? something like "go ask her to come to help us against the white walker's"

it also look like they're leaving out the whole dornish prince trip/getting cooked by a dragon. i never understood the point of that story line in the book, and if its exclusion from the show is an indicator that it really was/is a deadend, then its inclusion in the books is even more of a WTH moment.

The show is ruining future reading of the books (but Martin may have actually already done that himself). I almost want to stop watching. Unless Martin and/or the show are going full troll, everything that is left out of the show or altered speaks to that thing's significance later in the books.

The show is ruining future reading of the books (but Martin may have actually already done that himself). I almost want to stop watching. Unless Martin and/or the show are going full troll, everything that is left out of the show or altered speaks to that thing's significance later in the books.

Unless you want to avoid spoilers for the next 10 years, I wouldn't bother with it.

Unless you want to avoid spoilers for the next 10 years, I wouldn't bother with it.

agree.

the problem with avoiding the show at risk of being spoiled for the books assumes you will be able to avoid all spoilers. i am willing to bet you would at least get the final
"omg i can't believe dani showed up and burned all the white walkers with her dragon after jon snow knocked her up and she finally got pregnant again and became the beloved, but perpetually husband killing, queen"
or whatever happens.

i am coming to peace with 1 - getting the story in a timely manner (something that we know martin is not providing) 2 - spoiling some major stuff (the really important plot points) in the books 3 - hopefully enjoying reading the books as they come out with an eye for how things changed as sort of a "re-read" exercise 4 - not feeling the need to run out and buy the hard cover. i am guessing the numbers of books sold will be similar to what the other books have done but people are going to wait for the soft cover / cheap e book rather than buying hardcover right away.

Back