• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

Still thinking we should keep an eye on that LaMereon James kid on ODU should he enter the portal. He had the 2 defensive TD’s and was their return man. Seems to be a gamer with a nose for the ball. He brought it today at least.

Last edited:
Who was the deep safety that didn’t cover anyone on that play? I rewound and could never get a glimpse of the jersey number. Either way — it looked bad by both Glasker and that safety.
It was Mustapha. Everyone bites on a double move at times (especially at the down/distance). And while his run support is elite, he’s above average in coverage.

Eta: my bad, different play. I was talking about the wide open WR who was overthrown. I don’t know who had coverage on that side in the TD.

How many times in my 59 years I've seen us lose at the very end. Credit to Coach and the players. Nice come back after shitting the first half bed.

I remember when teams came to Groves and we got all giddy because we had a great run in the first half only to have our dreams crushed in the second half. Yep. Clawson has brought this program that far.

We absolutely sucked today on offense and still won.

I was away and DVR'd this one. Got to replay at 5pm and when we were down at the half was tempted to fast forward to the end to see the final score. I felt sick and feared we would not rally. Glad I did not. Wake's first half play was horrendous and mistake prone. Clawson evidently had a "Come to Jesus Moment" during half time. Team played well 2nd half. Some gutsy plays and showed me the resilience of this team. If this is their worse performance this season, we may get 7 wins or better. I was tempted to review the early posts from this group but I can only imagine it was brutal!

Clawson said there was no panic on the team.

Next play mentality. Never a thought to go to Kerns.

"Mitch is our QB."

Agreed. We shouldn’t have kept him in to win the game
I mean he rallied nicely, and the backup QB is often the most popular player on the team, but you have no idea if Kern would have won that game by 30. Clawson doesn’t just get blind trust given his proven stubbornness re: players in the past. If Kern (or anyone else on the roster) isn’t capable of doing significantly better than what we saw for the first 3+ quarters, then they shouldn’t be on scholarship.

It worked out, and Mitch showed a ton of heart, standing in there and making some great throws down the stretch, but we’ve seen at least 5 quarters of really shaky to downright terrible play out of him this year, against really weak competition.

It’s totally fair (and warranted) to be concerned about the rest of the year and beyond.

I mean he rallied nicely, and the backup QB is often the most popular player on the team, but you have no idea if Kern would have won that game by 30. Clawson doesn’t just get blind trust given his proven stubbornness re: players in the past. If Kern (or anyone else on the roster) isn’t capable of doing significantly better than what we saw for the first 3+ quarters, then they shouldn’t be on scholarship.

It worked out, and Mitch showed a ton of heart, standing in there and making some great throws down the stretch, but we’ve seen at least 5 quarters of really shaky to downright terrible play out of him this year, against really weak competition.

It’s totally fair (and warranted) to be concerned about the rest of the year and beyond.
Can’t disagree on that.

Plenty of what you said is why he should be QB1

Nice to get a win, and I was at an event and couldn't watch the comeback, but the only good thing about today is that maybe it gave Griffis some confidence after playing about as bad a game as I can remember. Let us not forgot that he also had an easy INT dropped in the endzone. I understand why you want to keep a green QB in there to get experience, but he absolutely deserved to get benched.

Most of us had noticed the OL problems and his hesitancy in the first few games, and those issues have persisted. But now it's pretty clear that the hesitancy in the pocket is going to continue to be a problem regardless of whether or not the line problems work themselves out as OL problems often do. He is not seeing the field well and his arm strength is either not showing up or just isn't there.

Regardless, the win is important because it gets us halfway to bowl eligibility. Play like we did today and 6 wins will be no easy task. A bowl game and the bowl prep is important for the program.

Back