• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAME WEEK: Wake Forest vs. Belmont Abbey (exhibition)

Appreciate the first-hand accounts from those who were there. Thank you.

Watched most of the first half. It was my first trip to the Joel in 11 years.

Hoard is the real deal. At one half, he seems like a smoother version of AFA with a shot and handles. Put him on any of our best teams, he's a valuable 3rd or 4th option capable of shouldering the load. On this team, he'll have some "quiet" 20 and 10 games because he's just that good. But we'll be begging Childress to get him the ball more. Manning needs to be creative with him. I wasn't too impressed with Manning putting him in the high post working a two man game with Sarr. Hoard has the talent to be the primary playmaker in an offense. I think it will be too easy for teams to play Childress hard and deny Hoard the ball.

Sarr is definitely bigger and stronger. He looks more capable and more willing to bang than last year. I'm optimistic he can improve to being an ACC-level contributor. He will play 30+ minutes every night barring foul trouble.

Johnson seemed like a serviceable backup. Wright seemed like he could be a good player down the road.

Chaundee. Not sure what to say about him. My friend had a good point. What position does Chaundee play? He doesn't seem like a SG. He doesn't play like a SF. He isn't even a hybrid wing. He's not a classic small forward in terms of being a smaller PF and he's not an undersized banger PF. I just don't know. But he's definitely one of our best players and he needs to see the court for 30 min a game.

Wynn has nice size. Don't remember his shot. Mucius was in foul trouble. Didn't see him play much.

My overall pessimism for this season hasn't changed. But if we fire Manning and keep Hoard, a new coach could maybe get these guys to .500 next year. I definitely think Hoard will be a fine NBA player whenever he gets there.

Thanks for the update. I’m assuming this means in ACC play?

Thanks for the update. I’m assuming this means in ACC play?

Mucius had a good second half, scoring on several turn around jumpers in the lane. Rod-Griffin-like. He is thin but athletic. Sarr played a very nice game. Smart had a few good minutes,too.

Mucius flashed in the second half which was good to see. We are very young and inexperienced playing together so it will be tough.

Just from looking at the stats, it appears Sarr has made the jump we hoped he would and the freshmen are as good as advertised.

The most disappointing part is to read from some of those who attended that the defense is still bad. I was really hoping something would have magically changed in that regards.

This team will really need a different kind of defensive effort than we have seen in past years.

If somehow that would happen, the season might be a lot better than we expect. If we have the same old defense, then 2-5 conference wins is what we will have.

Would like to hear from those who were at the game whether they thought the defense was any better than in the past.

Thanks in advance.

T. Johnson is good on the D. Otherwise nothing special.

So our new coach in 19-20, with no player attrition, might get us to .500 overall? If that’s what Wellman’s going to bring in for round 3 I can see why you are itching to give him the chance.

That’s close to a 50% improvement in wins over what I think Manning will do this year. This team lacks talent.

Unfortunately with 10 new guys on the team double digit wins maybe ambitious. :(

Did not think the defense was bad. We made some bad freshman errors on D-but teachable mistakes. Definitely have more good individual defenders. First year in long time that we can put a whole team on the floor without any glaringly week man defenders. We are long & quick enough to play be a good zone team. We did not show much zone-probably too early. Most our defensive problems last night were individual lapses-awareness, intensity, late help or rotation, over zealous D, etc. I am more concerned about Childress’s to’s. He has to clean that up.

Back