• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

OHH> YOU'RE THE BRO WITH ALL THE PLANTERS IN FRONT OF HIS HOUSE IN BLOOMINGDALE?

nope. i have a plot i took over at the community garden when a friend moved. i live in the little condo building at 2nd and v with the new patio (we built it in may).

What do you guys plant in the Fall (in Central NC)? I'm going with Okra, carrots, turnips and of course the Spinach which I have on heavy rotation. Et tu?

Brocolli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, cabbage

There is something else but I am forgetting it.

Brocolli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, cabbage

There is something else but I am forgetting it.

I've tried brocolli but I'm limited to containers, given the other living things in my back yard. I am going to try again with brocolli this fall. We'll see.

When do you plant your Fall garden?

i want to plant some lettuce for the fall but none of the stores are carrying seeds right now and I don't have any left from the spring. Anybody seen fall seeds for sale anywhere in the Triad?

i want to plant some lettuce for the fall but none of the stores are carrying seeds right now and I don't have any left from the spring. Anybody seen fall seeds for sale anywhere in the Triad?

I haven't looked, but have you tried to seed store at the farmer's market.

I'm sure most folks are wrapping up or done til Spring. We are too, but these dudes we met on the farm a couple weeks ago were talking to us about aquaculture and aquaponics. Anybody have any experience with year round or indoor crops? Aside with experimenting with, er, herbs I'm college, I don't know much about it. I would love to keep the tomatoes and bell peppers coming. Tips?

We were still getting some good eggplants and bell peppers the last couple weeks and had planted some kale, spinach, and carrots for fall. I haven't been in the backyard in a couple days, but apparently that bitch Sandy effed things up a bit.

Townie, as long as you have a french door or a window that gets quite a bit of sunlight, you can grow plants all winter. We pull our Key Lime tree in each winter and leave it by the french door.

We have a whole sunroom that is currently just for flowers and cacti. Maybe we can put tomatoes in there, but it gets pretty cold in Winter. Otherwise, preliminary research makes aquaponics seem pretty cost prohibitive.

Yeah, aquaponics is wicked expensive. If the sunroom isnt insulated, that wont help you at all.

The sunroom at my last house was unheated but got sun all day long. I grew basil out there all year long.

After reviewing last year's inaugural attempt at gardening, I've been working on a 2013 plan for our 4x12 square foot garden (Mid-Atlantic - Washington, DC). I've tried to review some companion planting, square foot gardening, timelines, etc and then taken into consideration what worked well for us last year.

So I think our tentative list of stuff includes:

Basil
Broccoli
Bush beans
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chard
Cilantro
Cucumbers (pickling and slicing)
Eggplant
Tomatoes (regular and grape)
Onions (green and regular) - in separate containers from the main garden
Peppers (jalapeno and bell)
Okra
Peas
Spinach
Squash (yellow and zucchini)

I have two remaining 1x1 squares not yet allocated. What should I grow in them? Preferably something easy (would prefer to direct sow, but not bound by that).

After reviewing last year's inaugural attempt at gardening, I've been working on a 2013 plan for our 4x12 square foot garden (Mid-Atlantic - Washington, DC). I've tried to review some companion planting, square foot gardening, timelines, etc and then taken into consideration what worked well for us last year.

Basil
Broccoli
Bush beans
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chard
Cilantro
Eggplant
Okra
Peas
Spinach

I have two remaining 1x1 squares not yet allocated. What should I grow in them? Preferably something easy (would prefer to direct sow, but not bound by that).

Bok choy and kale

Basil
Broccoli
Bush beans
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chard
Cilantro
Eggplant
Okra
Peas
Spinach

I had good success with carrots last year for the first time.

Back