• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

Well, probably no figs next summer for the third year in a row. The cold snap this past weekend probably killed the fig down to its roots.

Wrap that shit son

Wrapping is no match for 13 degrees, with two full days below freezing. And the fig isn't really a tree. After multiple winter freezes, it is a 12 foot high multi-branched bush. Not very wrappable.

Wrapping is no match for 13 degrees, with two full days below freezing. And the fig isn't really a tree. After multiple winter freezes, it is a 12 foot high multi-branched bush. Not very wrappable.

This is true, but if you want fruit in those conditions then you manage it. Pruning the tree at a size that makes it wrappable is the solution in a climate where figs are not usually.

Edit: it is a tree and the fruit is not technically a fruit.

Well, time to bring this back up for the 2017 gardening season. Was cleaning up the garden and getting ready to prep for spring planting when what did I find, but several Swiss chard plants growing nicey. They should have leaves ready to harvest around the end of the month. Usually they are a late in the year thing because it takes a while for them to grow. However, these have last year's roots to work from and seem to be doing well. I'm leaving them until they give me a reason to take them out. Swiss chard is usually pretty cold tolerant, and can be harvested up until hard freeze. This is the first time it's survived the winter.

Anybody else have any interesting "finds" like that?

Just run it in that you have 10 months of summer and no winter each year.

I spread 10 lbs of sunflower seeds in my usual garden this year. I'm doing more raised bed gardening now, and hope the sunflowers help out the honeybee population. My fruit trees didn't produce at all last year.

First tomatoes from the garden before July 1. That's rare. Usual is plantd go in the ground Memorial day and Tomatoes arrive around July 4.

First tomatoes from the garden before July 1. That's rare. Usual is plantd go in the ground Memorial day and Tomatoes arrive around July 4.

I wonder what the difference this year was...

1221a8p.jpg

Last edited:

Around here, tons of rain has helped. I've had a good run of cherry tomatoes and radishes. The first full size tomatoes are starting to turn as well, just in time for me to go out of town.

yes, i am in full harvest of tomatoes and have been for weeks now. we planted early, end of March, mainly because it has been in the 70s - 80s since February. crazy hot spring with a lot of rain...good for crops.

In case you were curious how jh posted on the Tunnels

A: Factually correct.

I am about to plant some cukes near the office. There is a charter school that just moved out of their commercial re-purposed space into a permanent building and they left all of these awesome raised beds unattended. There is also a fairly large amount of panhandling in the area. I'm going to start a one-man pop-up community garden and see what people take. Will update with pics when complete.

I wasn't sure if this should go in the DIY thread or this thread, but felt like this might be the right audience.

Our back yard is a "natural" space...lots of trees, grass won't grow, and we've neglected it. When we bought the house a few years ago it was all mulched with bark. Since then we haven't added more mulch and just let the leaves fall.

Would like to clean up the yard a bit so we can use it so planning on getting all the weeds out but not sure about next step with the mulch.

My thought is that I can just add a couple of inches of bark mulch on top of the leaves and maintain from there. Is this a reasonable idea, or do I need to remove the leaves and then add a new mulch? Picture below for reference.

24d1w2h.jpg

Sounds like a workable plan. Dead leaves will just become part of your mulch. They can be used as mulch. That is what mother nature does in forests forever.

Just be careful to not make the mulch too thick right against the tree trunks. Much less mulch for a few inches around the base of your trees will keep the trees happier.

Back