• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAUGE OF WELLMAN SUPPORT

AT WHAT LEVEL DO YOU SUPPORT RON WELLMAN?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marietta Deac

Reaction score
Reading the number of pitchforks out after Wellman right now, I was wondering what level of support he has on these boards. I have been WellmanOut since the Bz hire.

You can't have #ScorchedEarth unless you burn down everything last thing.

#WellmanOut

I'm WellmanOut even if he lands a good football coach. The [Redacted] hiring, and the way he has handled it since are simply unforgivable.

I'm WellmanOut even if he lands a good football coach. The [Redacted] hiring, and the way he has handled it since are simply unforgivable.

Plus, it's becoming more and more clear that even if he does land a good football coach he will have done it in spite of himself.

#everyoneout

You can't have #ScorchedEarth unless you burn down everything last thing.

#WellmanOut

Honestly though, I'd be totally ok if we just got rid of every single person at Wake Forest. Just completely hit the reset button. Hatch, BOT, the entire AD, [Redacted], everyone. A handful of exceptions (Ed Wilson, obviously, among others) for whatever reasons you want to come up with (outstanding service to the school, oh I don't know maybe accountability for doing a good job). But really, I mean everyone. Students too. Even the people living on Faculty Drive without connections to Wake Forest. Get 'em out. Aramark employees, barbers, campus police, douchebag parking people too. Even the carillonneur. I want that place to be a ghost town for a week and then Ed Wilson gets to pick every single replacement for every single person. I could get behind that Wake Forest. I bet Ed Wilson could land Lembo.

Yep.. Not to mention that one thing, has split a fanbase that used to be one of the more united ones on the planet to the point that I see someone bzz in saying how good Clawson is, and I immediately assume Clawson must be just above Sandusky on the coaching scale.

(Note that Clawson by objective measures may be good, but if he wasn't our first choice and guy was a "perfect fit", how do you not close the deal on that).

This. I guess a great football hire gets some heat off of him (at least for me) to the point where I would be OK with him riding off into the sunset at the end of the basketball season. Other than that, a great hire now has no bearing on my opinion of his handling of the AD over the past 5+ years and, if anything, makes me want him out even more so he doesn't screw up hiring a great coach by still running the AD poorly.

Posted on another thread, but this explains my thoughts on Wellman:

Actually Wellman has been fucking up royally for years now. The question is has he fucked up this particular situation yet. I thought the Prosser hire was great, and pretty happy with Grobe, but times are different and a "Grobe-like" hire will not cut it this time. There is too much of a financial advantage of being in the ACC over non-AQ conferences that we should be throwing money at the best coach we can get. I said early last week that Wellman was too cheap to pay a top candidate and to egotistical to hire a dynamic, get-it-done coach who can really get us competing with the big boys.

Wellman is king of the LOWF group. He has literally made a fortune to underperform. You may not find the speculation out there reliable, but given everything I have seen from Wellman over the years, I have no trouble believing Lembo would have come here and Wellman didn't/wouldn't/couldn't get it done. I guess few things are certain, but if I had to bet, we are not going to get the best candidate because Wellman is an ass hat.

To summarize, what the "Wake Forest Way" really means is to be happy with something less than the best but act like it's great anyway because we are Wake Forest.

If the new coach is a good hire, then Wellman deserves to retire at the end of the year and leave on a high note.

So yeah, he needs to go regardless, but he could save his legacy with a good hire here.

Wellman out. Which, in light with my posting in other threads, is not to say that he has fucked up the coaching search for football this time.

Yet.

If the new coach is a good hire, then Wellman deserves to retire at the end of the year and leave on a high note.

So yeah, he needs to go regardless, but he could save his legacy with a good hire here.

I have no problem with letting him retire honorably and naming a pod of porta potties in a tailgate lot after him. I just want him gone.

It doesn't matter because the BOT nor the President has the balls to fire Wellman as evidenced the past two years. Underperforming is a an apparently desirable quality that merits job retention.

Back