• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

The cult of Romney is strong with Mormons. That is the only reason it's even close.

FMR explained it awhile back, but Mormons are extremely sensitive to rhetoric about religion-based expulsion. Unlike its effect on conservative Protestants and Jews, Trump's rhetoric about deporting and closing off the borders to Muslims has gone over very poorly with Mormons. It should go over very poorly with any religious person, but that's another issue for another day.

So I have a question for board conservatives, or anyone else who wants to reply. Is Trump's hijacking of the Pub party in this election cycle a temporary or a permanent hijacking? Is the future of the party going to feature future candidates who are anti-Wall St, immigration, free trade and a expansionist foreign policy and who are essentially white nativists? And if the answer is a more permanent hijacking, what happens to fiscal and foreign policy conservatives (establishment types)?

I had thought it would be temporary, but what happens to Trump supporters if he loses and convinces him that he only lost because the vote was rigged?

^^^Right bc they know if we are going to start kicking out crazy religions, they can't be too far down the line.

Interpret that however you will, but Mormons don't appear to hate Trump because they love Mitt.

FWIW (and speaking as a religious person), all religion is ridiculous, logically inconsistent, implausible, etc. from a secular perspective. It all motivates close minded folks to hate, segregate, and act violently. Just because Christians and Jews had a massive head start doesn't change that fact.

I had thought it would be temporary, but what happens to Trump supporters if he loses and convinces him that he only lost because the vote was rigged?

They'll just go back to foaming at the mouth over Internet chain messages.

Even though it may not seem like a big difference to a person trapped between five dumpsters, in the broader sense it's one hell of a lot better than being buried in a landfill. I'll take the five dumpsters every day of the week. Voting for Trump is idiotic and irresponsible regardless of the reasoning (being anti-Hillary). If you're anti-Hillary then vote third party.

Oh I will definitely be voting third party (or more likely writing in), but the majority of lemmings will pick between the two. Voting for Obama was idiotic and irresponsible regardless of the reasoning, but more Americans than not are idiots, so we got 8 years.

Interpret that however you will, but Mormons don't appear to hate Trump because they love Mitt.

FWIW (and speaking as a religious person), all religion is ridiculous, logically inconsistent, implausible, etc. from a secular perspective. It all motivates close minded folks to hate, segregate, and act violently. Just because Christians and Jews had a massive head start doesn't change that fact.

I gotta disagree with you Strick. Mormons are authoritarians, with many completely wrapped up in the Romney cult of personality. They idolize the man and his family. They're like the Kennedys were to many Catholics back in the day. They see Romney as the man who helped make their kooky cult mainstream. If he strongly opposes someone they fall in line. This has nothing to do with Trump hating Muslims. Most of them are strongly opposed to Islam as well.

FMR explained it awhile back, but Mormons are extremely sensitive to rhetoric about religion-based expulsion. Unlike its effect on conservative Protestants and Jews, Trump's rhetoric about deporting and closing off the borders to Muslims has gone over very poorly with Mormons. It should go over very poorly with any religious person, but that's another issue for another day.

Mormons got run out of five states before settling in Utah. Nevada's such a shithole they had to open it up to hookers, gambling, and nuclear waste.

Trump's uniquely hosed in the West: Latinos, Muslim ban (hurts with Mormons), and rounding up Mexicans (echoes of Japanese internment). Trump will still win AK, ID, MT, WY, and UT-a whopping 20 EVs in total. Looks shaky in AZ.

So I have a question for board conservatives, or anyone else who wants to reply. Is Trump's hijacking of the Pub party in this election cycle a temporary or a permanent hijacking? Is the future of the party going to feature future candidates who are anti-Wall St, immigration, free trade and a expansionist foreign policy and who are essentially white nativists? And if the answer is a more permanent hijacking, what happens to fiscal and foreign policy conservatives (establishment types)?

I think he is one of the few people who could pull off a hijacking to this degree, so I don't think it will be replicated because i don't think anyone else would be able to pull it off to the extent he has. That said, I think the party is toast in general unless it uses this opportunity to wipe the slate and refocus (which could be the best thing to happen to it in the long run if there is anyone there smart enough to realize it, which is doubtful).

If voting for Obama was "idiotic and irresponsible" then what is voting for Trump?

I gotta disagree with you Strick. Mormons are authoritarians, with many completely wrapped up in the Romney cult of personality. They idolize the man and his family. They're like the Kennedys were to many Catholics back in the day. They see Romney as the man who helped make their kooky cult mainstream. If he strongly opposes someone they fall in line. This has nothing to do with Trump hating Muslims. Most of them are strongly opposed to Islam as well.

Speculation or sources?

Speculation or sources?

Sources that Romney is a superstar to many Mormons? You really think that requires sources? My comment is no more speculative than the idea Mormons are opposed to Trump because of his opposition to Muslims, when most of them are just as bigoted against Muslims, probably much moreso.

At a campaign event in Virginia on Tuesday, Trump tried to mend any damage he'd done with members of the military in an unusual way: He accepted a Purple Heart from a veteran in the audience.

"Something very nice just happened to me. A man came up to me and he handed me his Purple Heart," Trump said. "I said to him, is that the real one, or is that a copy? He said, 'That's my real Purple Heart. I have such confidence in you.' And I said, 'Man, that's big stuff.'"

"I always wanted to get the Purple Heart," Trump continued. "This was much easier."

Just saw this. WTF? Is Ivanka on vacation? First he asks if it's real. Then he doesn't stop at thanking him and saying that's big stuff. Why is his campaign continuing to let this be the topic du jour?

Romney sets the agenda, they fall in line. Romney hates Trump, they fall in line.

At a campaign event in Virginia on Tuesday, Trump tried to mend any damage he'd done with members of the military in an unusual way: He accepted a Purple Heart from a veteran in the audience.

"Something very nice just happened to me. A man came up to me and he handed me his Purple Heart," Trump said. "I said to him, is that the real one, or is that a copy? He said, 'That's my real Purple Heart. I have such confidence in you.' And I said, 'Man, that's big stuff.'"

"I always wanted to get the Purple Heart," Trump continued. "This was much easier."

Just saw this. WTF? Is Ivanka on vacation? First he asks if it's real. Then he doesn't stop at thanking him and saying that's big stuff. Why is his campaign continuing to let this be the topic du jour?

hahaha, wtf?

If voting for Obama was "idiotic and irresponsible" then what is voting for Trump?

Idiotic and irresponsible. I've said it before, but Obama and Trump are the exact same candidate with the exact same approach targeting the exact same type of voter, just on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Man, what a gigantic bitch. Just when I thought I could not hate her more.

Back