• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

some fun quotes from The Don from last night's rally nearby:

• When discussing the Supreme Court: “Even if they don’t like me — which you do — even if they don’t like me, they have to vote for me because I am going to pick great Supreme Court justices."

• When discussing terrorism: "They can chop off people's heads, bury them in sand, and we can't water board them? It's unfair playing field."

• When discussing the campaign: "If we don't win on Nov. 8, I will consider this a tremendous waste of time, energy and money."

That's what Cuban has been saying for awhile, Trump wants to boost popular vote maybe even win popular but lose the election. Perfect way to call it rigged and make a shit ton of money from his not really republican base.

or or OR he is still friends with the Clintons and wanted to Springtime for Hitler the Republican Party and she is going to allow him to build all sorts of stuff and he'll become Russian ambassador

It's win/win for Trump at this point. He either wins the election and runs the country, or loses the election and capitalizes on his new audience.

This election could start to get really ugly. Hillary compounds the gold star family debacle into Trump's draft dodging, while mixing in Warren Buffet. Trump continues to complain about a rigged system. Trump is out there playing checkers while Hillary is playing chess.

Donald Trump: after inferring that the father of a fallen soldier is a terrorist and calling his opponent the devil, he climbs aboard his private jet and eats KFC with a knife and fork, with newspapers spread out nearby to give the impression that he gets his news from respected newspapers and not reddit and Twitter. He's just like you! A true man of the people.

On Morning Joe today they hypothesized that Trump doesn't even want to win, but rather he wants to lose a close election, call it a rigged game, and open up his own TV network with his already built in fan base.

Seems plausible enough to me.

Seems plausible, except that there are enough people in this country who think a racist, small-minded creamsicle is a good idea for President that Trump could actually win

Good timing to start a network with the turmoil at Fox News.

There have been a handful of #NeverTrump, today first republican member of congress to say he'll vote for Clinton, GOP Rep. Richard Hanna. Calls Trump a "national embarrassment"

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/in...hanna_says_hell_vote_for_hillary_clinton.html

New poll has HRC up 1 in Utah. Doesn't need it, won't win it, and not sustainable for Dems, but it's utterly ridiculous for any 'Pub to be even within the MOE in Utah, let alone trail.

Will be interesting to see what Ryan and McCain say about Trump, win or lose, after their primaries.

It's win/win for Trump at this point. He either wins the election and runs the country, or loses the election and capitalizes on his new audience.

This election could start to get really ugly. Hillary compounds the gold star family debacle into Trump's draft dodging, while mixing in Warren Buffet. Trump continues to complain about a rigged system. Trump is out there playing checkers while Hillary is playing chess.

She must be a [Redacted]-level chess player if she has a realistic shot of losing the popular vote to someone playing checkers. That is some God-awful chess.

http://kutv.com/news/local/utah-could-vote-democrat-for-president-for-first-time-in-50-years

More evidence that Gary Johnson shouldn't run a national campaign. He should just focus on winning Utah. That would be bigger for Libertarians than getting 8-10% nationally.

Disagree. He should be attempting both. He needs to get past that 8-10% to get in the debates. He is quite doubtful to win UT if he doesn't get in the debates. And he should be concentrating his campaign on UT, NV, AZ, CO & NM because those are the states where he has his best chance to score some EVs, or at least alter some states' results. The other thing he needs to do is nudge Stein back to < 1% to maximize his potential as the only 3rd party person with any chance. The best way to do that is maintain that he's on the ballot in all 50 states, whereas she isn't.

She must be a [name redacted]-level chess player if she has a realistic shot of losing the popular vote to someone playing checkers. That is some God-awful chess.

The game is just beginning. It's been less than a week since the conventions, and Trump is already fighting on 3 major fronts: veterans, business, and foreign affairs. His base may not care about his comments on Ukraine, but Trump's image as a successful businessman is VERY important to his campaign. So guys like Buffet and Bloomberg coming out against him and actively challenging him can definitely hurt him. The gold star family issue is the greatest by far of these 3, and I think will certainly cost him points if he doesn't make it go away ASAP. I would assume Clinton was probably going to save the draft dodging angle until later in the campaign, but now it is 10x more effective, what with his "sacrifice" comments.

Last edited:
The game is just beginning. It's been less than a week since the conventions, and Trump is already fighting on 3 major fronts: veterans, business, and foreign affairs. His base may not care about his comments on Ukraine, but Trump's image as a successful businessman is VERY important to his campaign. So guys like Buffet and Bloomberg coming out against him and actively challenging him can definitely hurt him. The gold star family issue is the greatest by far of these 3, and I think will certainly cost him points if he doesn't make it go away ASAP. I would assume Clinton was probably going to save the draft dodging angle until later in the campaign, but now it is 10x more effective, what with his "sacrifice" comments.

None of that is going to change the general perception held by the majority of Americans that Hillary is a lying sack of shit who shouldn't be trusted with running anything. Nobody currently on the fence is going to vote for Trump because of his platform anyway, they are going to vote for him because he isn't Hillary. And the closeness of the race despite Trump's awfulness as a candidate just shows how even more awful Hillary is given all of her experience.

This election is going to come down to how many people can muster the energy to hold their nose and vote for one of these two putrid people.

Disagree. He should be attempting both. He needs to get past that 8-10% to get in the debates. He is quite doubtful to win UT if he doesn't get in the debates. And he should be concentrating his campaign on UT, NV, AZ, CO & NM because those are the states where he has his best chance to score some EVs, or at least alter some states' results. The other thing he needs to do is nudge Stein back to < 1% to maximize his potential as the only 3rd party person with any chance. The best way to do that is maintain that he's on the ballot in all 50 states, whereas she isn't.

Johnson isn't going to pick up Stein voters. If they're voting on principles, they'll go Hillary. If they're voting anti-Hillary, they'll go Trump.

Being in the debate could hurt Johnson as much as it could help him. If he's not in the debates, he could go to Utah and campaign hard there as a counter.

Hillary gets her first endorsement from a GOP Congressman. Richard Hanna, R-Barneveld, represents New York's 22nd Congressional District.
http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...nald_trump_commentary.html#incart_river_index

Months ago I publicly said I could never support Trump. My reasons were simple and personal. I found him profoundly offensive and narcissistic but as much as anything, a world-class panderer, anything but a leader. Little more than a changing mirror of those he speaks to. I never expect to agree with whoever is president, but at a minimum the president needs to consistently display those qualities I have preached to my two children: kindness, honesty, dignity, compassion and respect.

I do not expect perfection, but I do require more than the embodiment of at least a short list of the seven deadly sins.

I have long held the belief that the Republican Party is becoming increasingly less capable of nominating a person who is electable as president. The primary process is so geared toward the party's political base, which ignores the fact that we have largely alienated women, Hispanics, the LGBT community, young voters and many others in general.

Thankfully gerrymandering does not protect candidates in a national election. If I compare the life stories of both candidates I find Trump deeply flawed in endless ways. A self-involved man who is worth billions yet is comfortable -- almost gleefully -- using bankruptcy laws to avoid the consequences of his own choices. A man of character would not defend his actions but rather display shame and or at least regret. He is unrepentant in all things. Think about those average people who paid for his choices.

Johnson isn't going to pick up Stein voters. If they're voting on principles, they'll go Hillary. If they're voting anti-Hillary, they'll go Trump.

Being in the debate could hurt Johnson as much as it could help him. If he's not in the debates, he could go to Utah and campaign hard there as a counter.

I don't think there is such a thing as Stein voters - at least not > 1%. Anything over that are disaffected Bernie voters. Hillary has won/will win over most of those. But I've thought all along the never Hillary pro Bernie folks, to the extent they do vote, would split themselves between Trump, Stein and Johnson. So although that's not a huge population, Trump has been actively pursuing it. As are Stein and Johnson. All I'm saying is Johnson's pitch to those folks is he's more viable than Stein is.

Look, if Johnson doesn't get in the debates, he's dead. So even if he doesn't perform well, he's got to roll the dice and try to get in them. He's probably dead anyway, unless there is some huge thing that develops that hurts both Clinton and Trump. But he's got to get on stage to have any shot.

New poll has HRC up 1 in Utah. Doesn't need it, won't win it, and not sustainable for Dems, but it's utterly ridiculous for any 'Pub to be even within the MOE in Utah, let alone trail.

Will be interesting to see what Ryan and McCain say about Trump, win or lose, after their primaries.

McCain hasn't endorsed Trump, right? And he hasn't been shy about criticizing him when he shits on veterans or the military. So I don't think McCain is in trouble.

Ryan, OTOH, is in no man's land. He half-endorsed Trump and makes vague, non-committal statements when Trump does Trump things. He won't lose his seat, but I don't see how he has any credibility whatsoever with his House colleagues come January.

Back