• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ald-trump-i-dont-have-another-home/?tid=sm_fb

Muslim American fencer to Donald Trump: ‘I don’t have another home’

Ibtihaj Muhammad, the fencer who happens to also be the first American Muslim woman to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab, had strong words for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump about his immigration plans for Muslims.

“I think his words are very dangerous,” Muhammad, who is competing in team sabre competition Monday morning, told CNN last week. “When these types of comments are made, no one thinks about how they really affect people. I’m African-American. I don’t have another home to go to. My family was born here. I was born here. I’ve grown up in Jersey. All my family’s from Jersey. It’s like, well, where do we go?”

It sucks that someone who was born here still wears something as sexist as the hijab.

it's the woman's choice

That's what they often say, but is it really "voluntarily" when they risk being criticized and even ostracized by other Muslims and their family? Women who grow up in polygamist sects often say the things they did were their choice, but when they get away from it and reflect back on their experiences, they realize there was enormous pressure into doing many of the things they did. Anyway, the hijab is a tool of oppression, something that marks women as second class citizens in cultures where they are often seen as the property of men.

That's what they often say, but is it really "voluntarily" when they risk being criticized and even ostracized by other Muslims? Women who grow up in polygamist sects often say the things they did were their choice, but when they get away from it and reflect back on their experiences, they realize they was enormous pressure into doing many of the things they did. Anyway, the hijab is used as a tool of oppression, something to mark women as second class citizens in cultures where they are often seen as the property of men.

Yes, it is. My wife used to work at a school run by the Saudi govt with most of the students and employees Saudi nationals. All of the woman did choose whether or not to cover. The director of the school was a woman and did cover. The principal of the girls school chose not to. The principal was promoted to principal, so no ostracism.

Yes, it is. My wife used to work at a school run by the Saudi govt with most of the students and employees Saudi nationals. All of the woman did choose whether or not to cover. The director of the school was a woman and did cover. The principal of the girls school chose not to. The principal was promoted to principal, so no ostracism.

I think he is saying that within the family or community there will be strong repercussions if she chose not to wear hijab.

Well, there is no shortage of accounts to be found online of women who said they felt they were "voluntarily" choosing to wear it, only to realize once they left Islam how they were pressured into it. Also, was the principal of the school Saudi? I find it surprising a Saudi would not wear it.

Well, there is no shortage of accounts to be found online of women who said they felt they were "voluntarily" choosing to wear it, only to realize once they left Islam how they were pressured into it. Also, was the principal of the school Saudi? I find it surprising a Saudi would not wear it.

yes, she is Saudi. the Saudis admittedly do not have a good track record with gender equality, but I do know that in the very least it was entirely up to the women/girls as to whether or not they covered (Saudi or not).

It's all about stopping Trump for these folks. They would prefer a Hillary presidency. They figure if this person can get 3-4% of dissatisfied Republicans that should guarantee a Trump loss.

Or maybe they know something about Hillary, and don't want Trump to be the last man standing.

And maybe Martians are controlling Hillary's brain which is why she has to have a doctor with her at all times. The seizures are just part of the toll the alien presence takes on her body.

yes, she is Saudi. the Saudis admittedly do not have a good track record with gender equality, but I do know that in the very least it was entirely up to the women/girls as to whether or not they covered (Saudi or not).

The point is not the change of subject that Bob has pulled. It's about the message from the fencer.

It sucks that someone who was born here still wears something as sexist as the hijab.

All religions force people to do and say things they would not do if they had full and free choice. Peer pressure or not, the pressure of ultimate judgement from an imaginary deity and damnation to eternal hell and torment could get folks to do all sorts of silly things.

And maybe Martians are controlling Hillary's brain which is why she has to have a doctor with her at all times. The seizures are just part of the toll the alien presence takes on her body.

Numbers, I would ask you notice I have not posted those pictures of the guy holding a pen some claim are for seizures, because I think it is utterly ridiculous. Just pointing that out since you say everything I post is crazy stuff found on The Donald.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ald-trump-i-dont-have-another-home/?tid=sm_fb

Muslim American fencer to Donald Trump: ‘I don’t have another home’

Ibtihaj Muhammad, the fencer who happens to also be the first American Muslim woman to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab, had strong words for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump about his immigration plans for Muslims.

“I think his words are very dangerous,” Muhammad, who is competing in team sabre competition Monday morning, told CNN last week. “When these types of comments are made, no one thinks about how they really affect people. I’m African-American. I don’t have another home to go to. My family was born here. I was born here. I’ve grown up in Jersey. All my family’s from Jersey. It’s like, well, where do we go?”
I love how everyone is supporting this chick, but do you guys not think it is fucked up that she was so suppressed by her religion that the only sport she could play was fencing?

Isn't it true that in America religions are free to require certain things of their followers? Christian woman have rules on them too, not imposed by the state, but by their religion. Why are you singling out Muslims? All religions have draconian rules and silly rituals to honor the invisible magical deity in the sky, and in America you have the freedom to oppress yourself and your family with the one of your choice. :noidea:

it's the woman's choice

Yeah this is total bullshit. Why do we need to make escusses for bullshit suppressive religious practices? Before RJ jumps
In with "southern Christian males" I think Christianity is messed up in many ways.

Isn't it true that in America religions are free to require certain things of their followers? Christian woman have rules on them too, not imposed by the state, but by their religion. Why are you singling out Muslims? All religions have draconian rules and silly rituals to honor the invisible magical deity in the sky, and in America you have the freedom to oppress yourself and your family with the one of your choice. :noidea:
I'm not, I think all religions are total BS, Islam is just a particularly bad offender.

Back