• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

i have been trying to find out more information on the Trump Foundation. Some sources say Trump has not donated any money to his foundation since 2008, and is not even the largest donor to his own foundation. Apparently the World Wrestling people are. This story is from well before he was running for president. Here are some interesting links.

http://newsexaminer.net/politics/donald-trump-the-least-charitable-billionaire/

Not rated by Charity Navigator (apparently a Big Deal when it didn't rate the Clinton Foundation for a couple years) https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.profile&ein=133404773

Apparently he used the foundation to make the contribution to Pam Bondi, who then dropped her investigation into Trump U. http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/trump-foundation-bribe-donald-trump/25817/

He claims and promises to make donations to charity, but they aren't made through his foundation, and since he won't release his tax returns, nobody can verify whether he actually makes them. http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/06/donald-trump-charity-giving

Gave no money to 9/11-related efforts. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/donald-j-trump-foundation/trump-hand-out-265938

Criticism from The Federalist and Weekly Standard, which are conservative (to say the least) publications: http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/28/trumps-new-pro-veterans-website-directs-all-donations-to-trumps-personal-foundation/ http://www.weeklystandard.com/for-years-trumps-charity-gave-veterans-little-more-than-peanuts/article/2000776

I could be wrong but organizations like Charity Navigator only rate charities that actively solicit donations from unaffiliated parties. It was a big deal with the Clintons because they were soliciting donations and it became known that their financial books were a complete mess. The had to restate financials and file amended 990's for several years. I wouldn't be shocked if similar discrepancies were found in Trump's foundation, but one thing we probably won't find is large donations from foreign governments.

James Fallows on the Trump immigration pivot - or whatever it is today: http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/08/trump-time-capsule-85-the-immigration-pivot/497372/?utm_source=atlfb A couple of notable quotes -

One of those, Ann Coulter, had a pro-Trump book published this very day, in which she says: “There is nothing Trump can do that won’t be forgiven. Except change his immigration policies.”

And

With ten weeks to go in the campaign, the Republican nominee is spending an evening … in Mississippi! This is a state with a whole 6 electoral votes. ... Trump’s featured ally in Mississippi was … Nigel Farage! A Brit, the Trump of England, who rabble-roused for the Brexit vote and then resigned his party’s leadership after it passed. Perhaps there’s a comparable case, but I’m not aware of it: a nominee stumping in a small non-swing state, alongside a controversial foreigner whom very few in the crowd would recognize. Not that anything’s wrong with it. But the strategic choice is … notable.

I was in Jackson last night visiting my brother in law and it was crazy. We were .5 mile from the Trump rally, and there was no traffic. I don't know if everyone got there early, or there just wasn't that many people that showed up, but I was expecting massive traffic issues, and there were none. The wilder part was that there was no mention of the Trump visit in the Jackson paper (Clarion Ledger) or my local hometown paper the day of the event. I found it very unusual. I'll see what they say in the Clarion Ledger today after the event.

I haven't studied the recent news, but I've gathered that I'm supposed to believe and be outraged that fucking BONO made a donation to the Clinton Foundation (not sure when) for the purpose not of helping starving and/or dehydrated and/or AIDS-ridden Africans or whatever (because Bono clearly doesn't actually care about humanitarian causes), but so that he could later get a meeting with Hillary Clinton (and possibly a special favor?) so that a U2 concert could be beamed to the International Space Station.

I haven't studied the recent news, but I've gathered that I'm supposed to believe and be outraged that fucking BONO made a donation to the Clinton Foundation (not sure when) for the purpose not of helping starving and/or dehydrated and/or AIDS-ridden Africans or whatever (because Bono clearly doesn't actually care about humanitarian causes), but so that he could later get a meeting with Hillary Clinton (and possibly a special favor?) so that a U2 concert could be beamed to the International Space Station.

i'm surprised any of us have any outrage left in the tank

I mean, the AP sifted through thousands of emails and that's the best salacious detail they could come up with? BONO?

I could be wrong but organizations like Charity Navigator only rate charities that actively solicit donations from unaffiliated parties. It was a big deal with the Clintons because they were soliciting donations and it became known that their financial books were a complete mess. The had to restate financials and file amended 990's for several years. I wouldn't be shocked if similar discrepancies were found in Trump's foundation, but one thing we probably won't find is large donations from foreign governments.

Not a single quid pro quo has been found in the Clinton foundation. But keep using innuendo rather than fact.

Keep trying to attack those who have kept millions of people alive who have HIV. Keep talking down the work they have done with malaria and other diseases.

Don't say, "X got a meeting" Show how X made money or sold inferior products because of a donation.

But you won't and you will to continue to attack a charity that has spent $7 of ever $8 they have raised on actually helping people. This is a tremendous percentage.

You'll continue to attack on innuendo not lives saved.

And McMullin is on the ballot. So the guy who entered the race within a month ago and has no shot of winning managed to figure out the process and get on the ballot yet one of the two major parties is "scrambling" to figure out how to file. That's the GOP in 2016 about summed up in a nutshell.

The system is rigged.

Not a single quid pro quo has been found in the Clinton foundation. But keep using innuendo rather than fact.

Keep trying to attack those who have kept millions of people alive who have HIV. Keep talking down the work they have done with malaria and other diseases.

Don't say, "X got a meeting" Show how X made money or sold inferior products because of a donation.

But you won't and you will to continue to attack a charity that has spent $7 of ever $8 they have raised on actually helping people. This is a tremendous percentage.

You'll continue to attack on innuendo not lives saved.

It was President Obama who said the foundation of his active SOS should not take donations from foreign governments. The Clintons could have easily turned over operation of their foundation to President Carter until they served out their time in public service.

That's ridiculous. How could an 80yo+ (or anyone else) Jimmy Carter run the Carter Foundation, travel the world helping others AND run the Clinton Foundation at the same time? First of all, it's a direct conflict of interest.

My bad, in your world, if the Clintons are involved it's automatically sinister, evil and illegal.

I was in Jackson last night visiting my brother in law and it was crazy. We were .5 mile from the Trump rally, and there was no traffic. I don't know if everyone got there early, or there just wasn't that many people that showed up, but I was expecting massive traffic issues, and there were none. The wilder part was that there was no mention of the Trump visit in the Jackson paper (Clarion Ledger) or my local hometown paper the day of the event. I found it very unusual. I'll see what they say in the Clarion Ledger today after the event.

I only heard about the one in Tampa yesterday when I saw it trending on Facebook as it was happening. For good reason...

https://www.apnews.com/e7acd0dbb64c4bcd8e29736b99b1224c
The work of an "outsider" candidate for President - as in working outside the law.

WASHINGTON (AP) — For more than three years, lobbyist Jim Slattery worked in Washington to secure the release in Ukraine of the imprisoned political rival of the country's then-president. He said the work was sometimes harder than expected.

"I had a sense that there were people working on the other side," he said, "but they were doing it pretty secretively."

Slattery's hunch was right. His unknown opponent: The consulting firm run by Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, and his deputy Rick Gates, now the campaign's liaison to the Republican National Committee.

Last edited:
The Clinton's could learn a lot about ethical behavior from Jimmy Carter.

Lol that you think running the Carter Foundation and Clinton Foundation would be a direct conflict of interest but have no problem with an acting SOS not reporting donations from foreign governments.

As soon as there is no threat of a Trump presidency the media, and not just the right wing media, is going come down on Hillary like a ton of bricks.

Back