• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

If you don't think that post is true, you weren't paying attention last night. It's certainly not the only reason, but you are completely tone deaf if you don't see any truth in that statement.

Let's not rule anything out just yet.

That goes both ways. Don't kid yourself. But the rural vote won and to the victor goes the spoils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Probably the most imcompetent person in the White House in my lifetime (46 years).

Forget politics or issues, just pure incompetence. It's been over 15 years since this guy has had his hands on the levers of power in private business beyond hosting a reality TV show, which is make-believe and not real work. And even then, he failed miserably and had to have his beneficiaries bail him out.

I get not liking Hillary, but will never understand putting someone with little to no competence, a demonstrated ignorance of the issues below the surface, no political capital with either party/few allies in Congress - the big chair. Republicans talk of running the country like a business, but you would never put your business in the hands of Jeff Probst or anyone without the basic foundations of experience and knowledge of the business. A salesman, maybe, but the leader?

Trump probably won't launch nuclear weapons or dismantle treaties, but he is going to fail miserably as a leader. He will confound his staff and they will most certainly be in a constant state of upheaval like his campaign team. He will confound America with bizarre retaliations against perceived slights, which will come at a record pace as his incompetent administration bungles issue after issue. Iv';e worked for a company that was run by a guy like this, and it is not a good thing. Screaming and fists pounding on the desk, teams of employees fired in one fell swoop. People fearing the owner, not respecting him. It's a shitshow, and I think the rural Wisconsinites and Floridians who elected Trump think that is real life or is the "shakeup" Washington needs, and it is a fiction.

My only hope is that this is the eye-opener the electorate needs to start back toward sober, sane perspective on governing and compromise and coalition building. Seeing an incompetent running the executive branch may make them appreciate substance over style.

That's the best I can do with this bag of shit.

Last edited:
The vast majority of people who vote Republican do not use those terms. Come on.

I am not saying there aren't racist, homophobic, sexist, privileged, bigoted people out there. I am saying the generalizations used by liberals are very destructive to their own cause. First, there are plenty of people who vote Republican for economic or defense issues and do not care about the social platform or disagree with it outright. Second, those who do align with the Republican social platform are just going to double-down in the face of that sort of criticism.

Where does vast majority come from? The vast majority of liberals do not say the vast majority of Republicans are those things, nor do they think the vast majority of Republicans are those things -- but the amount of people who are those things is much larger than you, apparently, believe. And the fact that Republicans who are not those things just voted to be on the same side as their racist, sexist, homophobic, etc, brethren, and just helped elect a President who is at least racist and sexist, is not a good look. We will see where social policies go in the next 4 years to find out if these good hearted, innocent Republicans are supporting racist, sexist and homophobic policies.

I don't know why it's so complicated. If you want to build a coalition / expand the tent / whatever, you have to do it by making people who disagree with you on something feel welcome. Blanket generalizations don't do that. And of course Trump and the Republicans do it too

So you think that Trump's turnout was because people in the sticks were called bad names before the campaign process started? All these people who suddenly had a guy to rally around were just itching to vote in early 2015?

Apparently, these innocent people, who are not racist, sexist, homophobes, needed a safe space from the name-calling, and that safe space was voting for Trump.

Where does vast majority come from? The vast majority of liberals do not say the vast majority of Republicans are those things, nor do they think the vast majority of Republicans are those things -- but the amount of people who are those things is much larger than you, apparently, believe. And the fact that Republicans who are not those things just voted to be on the same side as their racist, sexist, homophobic, etc, brethren, and just helped elect a President who is at least racist and sexist, is not a good look. We will see where social policies go in the next 4 years to find out if these good hearted, innocent Republicans are supporting racist, sexist and homophobic policies.

I don't have facts and figures. All I know is my Facebook feed is filled with people moaning about how bigoted the country is. Meanwhile, I grew up in the a tiny southern town and the n- and f- word are just not words I heard.

Apparently, these innocent people, who are not racist, sexist, homophobes, needed a safe space from the name-calling, and that safe space was voting for Trump.

If you like losing elections, please persist in this line of thinking. Today's a learning opportunity for you, Shoo. The choice is yours.

If you like losing elections, please persist in this line of thinking. Today's a learning opportunity for you, Shoo. The choice is yours.

right, the obvious answer is to find a better version of Bernie and go right for the commie-lib-millennial froth

Rhetoric of Dems lead to Trump. People got tired of being called racist, homophobic, sexist, privileged, bigoted etc for being on the conservative side of issues. Calling people names only entrenches them. It doesn't change anyone's mind.

Political discourse in this country is terrible.

This is pretty spot on.

So Dems need to be more PC? Good to know.

He received 31% of the Latino vote in Florida. Crazy

Cubans. Not crazy.

I don't know why people are tripping out that Trump beat Romney and McCain's numbers with minorities. Flip it around. Did people really think Hillary would do better than Obama with minorities?

right, the obvious answer is to find a better version of Bernie and go right for the commie-lib-millennial froth

Some liberal Silicon Valley Bernie bro is waiting in the wings.

I don't have facts and figures. All I know is my Facebook feed is filled with people moaning about how bigoted the country is. Meanwhile, I grew up in the a tiny southern town and the n- and f- word are just not words I heard.

The "It's not me, it's you" is a problem for Dems, and not one they're in a hurry to get rid of. What's the word? Ah yes...Sad!

I'll show you assholes I'm not a bigot! I'm gonna vote for Donald Trump. That'll show em!

Dude, I get it. Losing sucks and looking in the mirror is fucking hard sometimes. What I'm telling you is true. There are well educated, good people, some who I know even post on these boards, who voted for Donald Trump yesterday, not because they supported him and his rhetoric entirely, but because they agreed with certain parts and got tired of being generalized is some toothless bigot. Many of these people, I'd wager, were the last minute undecided voters that all seemed to vote Trump.

Or just do the smart thing and go with Joe Biden, who actually might have been the most qualified Dem to run for anything, ever(TM).

Dude, I get it. Losing sucks and looking in the mirror is fucking hard sometimes. What I'm telling you is true. There are well educated, good people, some who I know even post on these boards, who voted for Donald Trump yesterday, not because they supported him and his rhetoric entirely, but because they agreed with certain parts and got tired of being generalized is some toothless bigot. Many of these people, I'd wager, were the last minute undecided voters that all seemed to vote Trump.

This. It's not easy, but this.

This is Lurker's line of thinking, not mine. I'm going to watch you burn it all down, and rise from the ashes.

Back