• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

Dude, I get it. Losing sucks and looking in the mirror is fucking hard sometimes. What I'm telling you is true. There are well educated, good people, some who I know even post on these boards, who voted for Donald Trump yesterday, not because they supported him and his rhetoric entirely, but because they agreed with certain parts and got tired of being generalized is some toothless bigot. Many of these people, I'd wager, were the last minute undecided voters that all seemed to vote Trump.

So you agree that they followed the logic of my post you just quoted. Ok.

Cubans. Not crazy.

I don't know why people are tripping out that Trump beat Romney and McCain's numbers with minorities. Flip it around. Did people really think Hillary would do better than Obama with minorities?

It was 16% here in Colorado. The Cubans I can understand, to an extent, but 31% is still strong when compared to years past. I assume it has much to do with Obama normalizing relations with Cuba and the Castros, but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the Latino numbers in states like Colorado. I teach in a heavily Latino community here in Colorado, and 16% is baffling.

Apparently, these innocent people, who are not racist, sexist, homophobes, needed a safe space from the name-calling, and that safe space was voting for Trump.

Were you not paying attention last night, Shoo? If you didn't learn anything and continue this sort of dialogue, you can go ahead and count on 8 years of Donald J Trump. I'm willing to bet there isn't a single poster here that wants 2 terms of that. I know I don't.

So you think that Trump's turnout was because people in the sticks were called bad names before the campaign process started? All these people who suddenly had a guy to rally around were just itching to vote in early 2015?

What's the counterpunch: that those people suddenly remember to be raciost, after forgetting how much they hate others in 2008 and 2012?

Dems blaming everything on their raciosm and Trump reaching out to them by appealing to the frustrations of their very real problems made it a very easy call. Trump just picked a better group to reach out to, in terms of turnout. Sorry bout it.

The "It's not me, it's you" is a problem for Dems, and not one they're in a hurry to get rid of. What's the word? Ah yes...Sad!

They just don't get it...and I'm beginning to wonder if they ever will. Too many of them have been conditioned all their lives to believe how special, intelligent & superior they are that they just cannot entertain the idea that anyone who disagrees with them could possibly be right about anything. So these people become inferior, unintelligent, racist, sexist, homophobic rubes.

Maybe some of them will grow out of this stage, but, at the very least, I'm afraid that it is going to take awhile. We've had dozens of posts on the election since last night, and virtually all of them have blamed their stunning loss on uneducated, racist, sexist, homophobic voters....without giving those voters any credit at all that they could have possibly had any valid reasons to vote for Trump.

Honest question to the pubs on this thread: was last night more about Trump or Clinton? I tend to think Clinton, but you seem to be arguing Trump.

What's the counterpunch: that those people suddenly remember to be raciost, after forgetting how much they hate others in 2008 and 2012?

Dems blaming everything on their raciosm and Trump reaching out to them by appealing to the frustrations of their very real problems made it a very easy call. Trump just picked a better group to reach out to, in terms of turnout. Sorry bout it.

i don't think anyone is
He failed to overcome a pretty stacked system. It'd help if the power of the party was behind the message.

republicans are confusing "blaming everything on racism" with "it's pretty gross that a guy who makes awful comments and suggests terrible public policy WRT immigration, refugees, women's rights, etc. can get so much support"

Last edited:
There are well educated, good people, some who I know even post on these boards, who voted for Donald Trump yesterday, not because they supported him and his rhetoric entirely, but because they agreed with certain parts and got tired of being generalized is some toothless bigot.

That this is a reason to vote for someone is what is mind-blowing for me. That is a spite vote, basically. Spite is a reason to do some things, but to put an incompetent malcontent into the biggest job on the planet is not one, at least to me. I would have voted for Bush, Romney, McCain, Dole, Nixon, Ford, and Reagon over Trump if he ran as a Dem. Some reasons for doing things trump other reasons.

Would you put a, say, highly successful rock musician at the helm of, say, an investment firm? because that is essentially what has happened

i don't htink ayone is

republicans are confusing "blaming everything on racism" with "it's pretty gross that a guy who makes awful comments and suggests terrible public policy WRT immigration, refugees, women's rights, etc. can get so much support"

Does "women's rights" in your post equal abortion? Anything else included?

Time for the DNC to do a full autopsy and find out how their platform can reach the disaffected white vote.

That this is a reason to vote for someone is what is mind-blowing for me. That is a spite vote, basically. Spite is a reason to do some things, but to put an incompetent malcontent into the biggest job on the planet is not one, at least to me. I would have voted for Bush, Romney, McCain, Dole, Nixon, Ford, and Reagon over Trump if he ran as a Dem. Some reasons for doing things trump other reasons.

Would you put a, say, highly successful rock musician at the helm of, say, an investment firm? because that is essentially what has happened

tumblr_nmvdtpFPa81qz8x31o1_500.jpg

Time for the DNC to do a full autopsy and find out how their platform can reach the disaffected white vote.

This can't be you serious opinion. The Dem platform has left out disaffected white people? How so, by letting them have abortions and food stamps and welfare?

Does "women's rights" in your post equal abortion? Anything else included?

reproductive rights in general which includes abortion, access to birth control and gynecological services, issues with sexual assault and justice system, parental leave rights, fair pay, etc.

i don't htink ayone is

Just like with Newt talking about how things "feel" vs. how the are, it doesn't matter what is said rather what is heard.

I expect us to. Liberals are not the party resistant to change, and before you get fired up about any criticism in your safe space, conservatism, by its very nature, is resistant to change.

I remember these pompous declarations from the other side 4 years ago. Meh. It would all be based on the candidate anyway. The deplorable comment or the 47 %

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

It was 16% here in Colorado. The Cubans I can understand, to an extent, but 31% is still strong when compared to years past. I assume it has much to do with Obama normalizing relations with Cuba and the Castros, but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the Latino numbers in states like Colorado. I teach in a heavily Latino community here in Colorado, and 16% is baffling.

Not baffling. Latino Republicans largely fell in line. 16% is down from 23% in 2012 and 38% in 2008.
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/11/07/latino-voters-in-the-2012-election/

Last edited:
Honest question to the pubs on this thread: was last night more about Trump or Clinton? I tend to think Clinton, but you seem to be arguing Trump.

Unscientifically, I think it's like this:
20% Clinton fatigue (Wolf Blitzer and the True Believers believed the Omni-exoneration narrative, but there was a cumulative effect to the scandals; they all kind of fit a credible narrative).
10% MSM fatigue (spite-vote that W&B talk about)
20% Trump-as-strongman-will-Hulksmash-their-problems
20% Obama fatigue [if you'd like to call this raciosm, do so now]
20% Obamacare
10% {And you will love this but I'm just being real} BLM/Kapernick fatigue. A lot of Amuricans still believe in America (I realize that the OGB Left looks down at this notion, but it's a rich-man, poor-man; You guys are too cool for America!, and I get that, but there are places on Earth to live other than Western and Northern Europe, and by comparison to most of the globe, America ain't what's wrong with the world), and I think the persistent drumbeat of negativity from the left had an accumulated effect. This election was an outlet for the negativity.

the reaction to Trump and the victory is almost entirely "ha! serves those libs right!" and not like "sweet, we have a guy who will tackle energy, trade, FP, immigration issues with solutions that I agree with"

Back