• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

many, many D voting posters readily admitted HC was a terrible candidate but that's what we had. Last night i think we all #facepalmed about how her terrible candidacy blew up in our faces.

Yep. At the end Trump let it be about Hillary and stayed out of the way, so he won.

There definitely was an enthusiasm gap. I think part of that goes to Clinton's integrity issues (which is not to suggest Trump doesn't have his own). But mainly it's that one candidate was chosen by the party for the voters and the other was chosen by the voters for the party.

Bernie was pretty much toast when he had no organization in the southeast and made no inroads with minorities (see Obama). I am sure the RNC did just as much or not more behind the scenes regarding Trump, but their emails weren't hacked by the Russians to influence the election.

Yep. At the end Trump let it be about Hillary and stayed out of the way, so he won.

That was made much easier by daily leaks of her campaign's emails and the FBI story popping back up.

But Trump drove that rural vote. Gotta hand it to him.

I do think the left spent way too much time well actually-ing throughout this process. Hell I've been guilty of it too. And people HATE being corrected, especially by perceived "elites." I've been working 2 days a week in the heart of Trump country Ohio. I make it a point to never talk politics at work, but it's incredible how often I've overheard things like "Trump will raise taxes on the rich!" or Trump will make sure everyone gets cheap health insurance!" mixed with fairly out there Hillary conspiracy theories. It felt like there was so much more misinformation out there this election. And I think it's really hard not to try to correct that. But it seems like a ton of time was wasted in response to an audience that wasn't hearing it for whatever reason (whether it be because they were too entrenched in their position, or felt like they were being patronized/judged/name called and simply rebelled, etc). I'm not sure if anything could have changed their minds, but involving them in the narrative rather than reacting to theirs probably would have been a lot more effective.

That was made much easier by daily leaks of her campaign's emails and the FBI story popping back up.

But Trump drove that rural vote. Gotta hand it to him.

Conway is really good. I really hope he's satisfied with the results and actually cuts a check to pay her. She earned every penny. Still want to read that book too.

No I'm saying your inability to look in the mirror and see that some of this, certainly not all, is on the rhetoric that was freely and happily spewed at conservatives during this election cycle. You can bury your head in sand, but if you didn't learn anything from last night, Trump will be a two term president.

Not at "conservatives" at Bannon, Putin, the alt-right and Trump.

we didn't facepalm enough? I'm not going to apologize for ChrisL's existence, guys.

Bernie was pretty much toast when he had no organization in the southeast and made no inroads with minorities (see Obama). I am sure the RNC did just as much or not more behind the scenes regarding Trump, but their emails weren't hacked by the Russians to influence the election.

No, that more democrats didn't speak up and sooner. Why didn't more qualified democrats run in the primary? It certainly appears that it was well-known that the party brass was already behind HRC. That's problematic to begin with, but then the party rather openly undermined Bernie. Hell, Bernie wasn't even really a democrat.

No, that more democrats didn't speak up and sooner. Why didn't more qualified democrats run in the primary? It certainly appears that it was well-known that the party brass was already behind HRC. That's problematic to begin with, but then the party rather openly undermined Bernie. Hell, Bernie wasn't even really a democrat.

because HC rigged the game in her favor, to the chagrin of many. What else can the average person do in the face of such reckless hate?

Trump tapped into the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" sentiment in a portion of the electorate that hasn't voted much in previous elections. It is also something of a reaction to the politically correct don't hurt anyone's feelings speech movement. Many Trump voters are reacting because now it is their feelings being hurt, by some of the terms used to describe their behavior. There is something of a WTF? going on. Protecting the feelings of one group has hurt the feelings of other groups, and the hypocrisy of those protecting one group by disrespecting another is mind boggling.

Another issue is the PC movement on college campuses that is supposed to avoid hurting anyone's feelings or making them feel uncomfortable. The purpose of college is supposed to make people think, not necessarily make them comfortable. Sometimes thinking is stimulated by a certain amount of discomfort.

Ride out and meet it. For Rohan!

poor bernie

it's heartbreaking that less than half the US population who bothered to participate ended up picking the guy but we're all going to be stuck with whatever he hands down. I definitely wish he'd have won the popular vote so I could tell myself most people want his policies.

Trump tapped into the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" sentiment in a portion of the electorate that hasn't voted much in previous elections. It is also something of a reaction to the politically correct don't hurt anyone's feelings speech movement. Many Trump voters are reacting because now it is their feelings being hurt, by some of the terms used to describe their behavior. There is something of a WTF? going on. Protecting the feelings of one group has hurt the feelings of other groups, and the hypocrisy of those protecting one group by disrespecting another is mind boggling.

Another issue is the PC movement on college campuses that is supposed to avoid hurting anyone's feelings or making them feel uncomfortable. The purpose of college is supposed to make people think, not necessarily make them comfortable. Sometimes thinking is stimulated by a certain amount of discomfort.

You think college campuses being PC was big factor with the rural white non-college crowd?

Don't know why more qualified Dems didn't run? Biden would have been a good choice. Warren could have thrown her hat in the ring. At some point they were going to back their establishment choice. And as you said Bernie wasn't even a democrat and didn't really begin the campaign with an expectation to win, IMO.

poor bernie

it's heartbreaking that less than half the US population who bothered to participate ended up picking the guy but we're all going to be stuck with whatever he hands down. I definitely wish he'd have won the popular vote so I could tell myself most people want his policies.

It looks like this might become a more common occurrence.

If things go well during the next few years, Trump absolutely wins reelection. He wins by bigger margins than he had this time around. There were plenty of folks that didn't support him because of the great unknown. If that is alleviated by knowing that he can govern, then he coasts to reelection.

BIG BLOCK OF CHEESE!

You are a big time AJ hater right? Was it the inability of everyone to stop him or just his policies towards native Americans?

Really hard to lay this at Biden's feet. He would have kicked the shit out of Trump though.

Back