• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

George Zimmerman

what does THC have to do with anything just wondering?

1. Zimmerman said he looked like he was on drugs, so it would take away one of the points that Zimmerman was profiling Martin.
2. Martin may have become paranoid due to the THC, prompting him to confront Zimmerman. Of course, that paranoia may have made him timid.
3. Some apparently believe THC can make someone aggressive. In my experience that aggressiveness would be limited to competing for munchies.

Can they really tell when Martin last burned one? If he was a regular user, THC would show in his system for up to 30 days. Can they measure concentrations to determine the likelihood of recent use?

1. Zimmerman said he looked like he was on drugs, so it would take away one of the points that Zimmerman was profiling Martin.
2. Martin may have become paranoid due to the THC, prompting him to confront Zimmerman. Of course, that paranoia may have made him timid.
3. Some apparently believe THC can make someone aggressive. In my experience that aggressiveness would be limited to competing for munchies.

i see. agree with the last sentence.

That is my experience too. I don't think I've ever seen people get violent from weed, but I have known a few people who smoke a bowl and get ridiculously hyper...like they snorted a couple lines instead.

Can they really tell when Martin last burned one? If he was a regular user, THC would show in his system for up to 30 days. Can they measure concentrations to determine the likelihood of recent use?

When the toxicologist does the study the results are quantified as to how much is in their system. Using those results they can form an opinion as to the recency and amount of usage. However, these opinions are subject to cross examination given how long THC stays in the system and its unreliablity when compared to say blood alcohol level.

I think this ruling is a close call, but in the end the right one by the judge. It's usually wise to allow the defense more leeway in what they want in to support their defense to avoid reversal on appeal. Although the evidence is prejudicial it certainly is probative to GZ's self-defense claim and Martin's state of mind.

Quite frankly, the only reason why I think this is a "close call" at all is because it is THC. If this were alcohol or cocaine it's a no-brainer, in my opinion, that it comes in. The ambiguities of THC concentration in the blood makes this decision a bit tougher. But, in the end, that goes more to the weight of the evidence as opposed to its admissibility.

Another correct call by the Judge, in my opinion. She's really done a fantastic job.

Yes.

30 days is an extreme though. in my not so small experience you can pass a run of the mill drug test in 2 weeks generally speaking.

I'm no expert. Seems like a guy who was smoking weed would have gotten more than tea and skittles at the store.

I'm no expert. Seems like a guy who was smoking weed would have gotten more than tea and skittles at the store.

No doubt. In my experience, the fact that he didn't walk out with a slim jim and a king cone is a dead giveaway that he wasn't high.

I actually think the defense needs to be careful with what they do with this evidence. I think as long as they slow play it they should be fine. But, there's been some emotional testimony and you don't want to come off as bashing the dead kid too much. Things are going the defense's way and they need to be careful they don't do anything to piss off the jury.

30 days is an extreme though. in my not so small experience you can pass a run of the mill drug test in 2 weeks generally speaking.

The GC/MS is going to pick up the metabolite of a, ahem, chronic user 30 days after last use, but that's kind of like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. If the subject is a heavy enough user, he won't go 30 days.

Hair samples can go back a lot longer than 30 days.

Based on what they said today at the motion hearing, the defense will present evidence that TM used marijuana within a couple of hours of his death.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/05/18/autopsy-indicates-trayvon-martin-had-thc-in-blood-at-time-of-shooting/

According to the autopsy report made public record by the Office of the Medial Examiner, the blood from Martin’s chest contained 1.5 ng/ML of THC, a drug commonly found in marijuana. There was about 7.3ng/mL of THC carboxy, the by-product of the body’s metabolism of THC.

Depending on the amount of THC consumed and the frequency in which it is consumed, THC carboxy can stay in a person’s system from somewhere between two weeks to a month, according to WBTV. THC itself can stay in the body for as long as four hours.

Based on what they said today at the motion hearing, the defense will present evidence that TM used marijuana within a couple of hours of his death.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/05/18/autopsy-indicates-trayvon-martin-had-thc-in-blood-at-time-of-shooting/

Were I on the jury, I would find this issue to be a complete red herring. Nothing about TM's drug use requires GZ to chase him down and shoot him. It doesn't make self defense more likely. It is just a character smear. This would backfire if I was on the jury.

Couldn't the prosecution just counter with video from the convenience store to show Martin wasn't acting like he was "on drugs".

The GC/MS is going to pick up the metabolite of a, ahem, chronic user 30 days after last use, but that's kind of like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. If the subject is a heavy enough user, he won't go 30 days.

Hair samples can go back a lot longer than 30 days.

assuming you do criminal law then you know a lot more than I do about this.

it takes three liks to get to the center, the commercial proved it.

Couldn't the prosecution just counter with video from the convenience store to show Martin wasn't acting like he was "on drugs".

FWIW, the defense argued that the convenience store video showed TM "swaying" as he was buying the skittles and iced tea.

Also expect them to have an expert say that marijuana can make someone paranoid - which they will argue made it more like that TM saw GZ, got paranoid, and attacked.

assuming you do criminal law then you know a lot more than I do about this.

it takes three liks to get to the center, the commercial proved it.

Prosecuted use cases for several years. Ain't no party like a forensic toxicologist party.

FWIW, the defense argued that the convenience store video showed TM "swaying" as he was buying the skittles and iced tea.

Also expect them to have an expert say that marijuana can make someone paranoid - which they will argue made it more like that TM saw GZ, got paranoid, and attacked.

Just b/c you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't actually out to get you.

Back