• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Georgia Representative: Have kids sweep floor to get lunch

WFFaithful

Reaction score
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...ds-to-sweep-the-floors-to-get-school-lunches/

“But one of the things I’ve talked to the secretary of agriculture about: Why don’t you have the kids pay a dime, pay a nickel to instill in them that there is, in fact, no such thing as a free lunch?” he suggested. “Or maybe sweep the floor of the cafeteria — and yes, I understand that that would be an administrative problem, and I understand that it would probably lose you money.”

"“Really poor children, in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works so they have no habit of showing up on Monday,” the Georgia Republican insisted. “They have no habit of staying all day, they have no habit of I do this and you give me cash, unless it is illegal.”"

While this dude is clearly an idiot and speaking in code with the reasoning behind his proposal, I do think that students in general would be better served to have more life skills integrated with the school environment -- particularly in finance, technology, health, nutrition -- versus a focus on pure subject matter.

Probably not scalable, especially given the dearth of resources, but I wish it were more plausible.

In Georgia I think over half the public school kids are on free lunch. Gonna spend a lot of money on brooms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

In Georgia I think over half the public school kids are on free lunch. Gonna spend a lot of money on brooms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The kids in shop class on free lunch will just make them, duh.

While this dude is clearly an idiot and speaking in code with the reasoning behind his proposal, I do think that students in general would be better served to have more life skills integrated with the school environment -- particularly in finance, technology, health, nutrition -- versus a focus on pure subject matter.

Probably not scalable, especially given the dearth of resources, but I wish it were more plausible.

I have to agree with the life skills focus, in particular finance and health. Wiith the interwebs nearly everything is scalable.

ONW's response is better than mine.

Between vociferous defenses of the Duck moron's bullshit and this rube's brainless suggestions, the GOP is having a hell of a week.

Between vociferous defenses of the Duck moron's bullshit and this rube's brainless suggestions, the GOP is having a hell of a week.
You're forgetting about the important stuff, like trying to completely tear down the ACA before it gets off the ground

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

My favorite part was hearing Sarah Palin saying he was just preaching the gospel... Which apparently includes Leviticus.

What, was there no cotton that needed pickin'?

I like the idea of kids doing some chores at school. But they should all do it, regardless of social condition. Yes, not just those in Georgia, even the ones at Beverly Hills High School: Indeed, especially the ones at Beverly Hills High School. Everybody needs to learn to do physical work. No exceptions.

Trying to claim the ACA is destroying America, with an economy exceeding expectations, and the S&P and Dow just closing at record highs must be difficult.

My favorite part was hearing Sarah Palin saying he was just preaching the gospel... Which apparently includes Leviticus.

She can see Russia, inserted Leviticus in the gospel, and can shoot a gun in a bikini. What's the problem?

The fact that kids are on assisted or free lunch is confidential information. I cannot imagine anything dumber than to call them out by making them do menial chores at school.

Back