• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gifts For Customers

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Not sure if the Pit has many salesmen but figured I'd ask anyway. As some of you may know, I work for my self in a business that sells air filtration equipment to heavy industry. I just landed almost by accident a nice account that dropped 20K on me instantly. I have been doing this for a while and the rules of "taking" care of customers have changed drastically from the Mad Men type of days as there are actually fewer types left to entertain. I have an appointment next week to check in with them.

What should I take with me? Doughnuts/bagels/Chick-Fil-A would be embarrassing at this point.

Do your rules still allow you to take them out for a really nice lunch or to play golf?

My neighbor is in similar situation and he routinely books rounds at nice courses for his high-end clients. Seems to work well for him.

Does this come out of your pocket or can you expense it? Big difference. If you company is paying, golf or an annual trip seems appropriate. Hunting or fishing seems to be the deal in my industry.

A limo ride to a nice restaurant with you picking up the tab would make a big impression.

Also, does your customer attend a certain trade show every year? Most "greasing of the wheels" takes place in that environment because they're normally held in cities such as Savannah, New Orleans, Las Vegas, etc. with many entertainment options. You show up, take the entire company to dinner one night, and the rest of the weekend you take the decision-maker out for golf and/or drinks once or twice. It also gives you and your wife a nice long weekend of dinner and drinks to later use as a tax write off. And it doesn't feel like you're bribing them because you're surrounded by tons of people doing the same thing as you.

My suggestion is especially appropriate if your customer is a governmental entity. Many of my biggest clients are governmental. The ethics rules in Georgia allow government officials to only receive gifts of food, and then only so much food or drink as can be consumed in one meal. Thats why the trips to nice restaurants are so popular.

You should definitely buy them personalized gifts from:

texasirons.com

(alright that's my two spam posts for the year)

We usually do lunch at my boss's country club and then he'll take the client into the shop and let them pick out something (usually a golf shirt or visor or something). If we end up having enough time, boss man will then invite the client to a round of golf post-meeting.

Things I have bought/done for clients in the past year: Round of golf (multiple times), Round of Sporting Clays, Bottle of Bourbon, Bottle of Wine, Cigars, Concert tickets, Panthers tickets, Masters Tickets, and Wells-Fargo Golf Tournament tickets.

The problem I have is a lot of these guys can't get away from their respective manufacturing plant or the plant is in the middle of nowhere. Also most of these guys (industrial clients) are restricted in what they can take. Golf polos do sound like a good idea though.

Could you cater a nice lunch for them at their place, in addition to the polos?

with dessert :naughty:

:eyeroll:

With all due respect 20k is not a huge amount. Not sure if this is repeating or not but I do a lot of purchasing and just a lunch/dinner from some of my vendors a couple of times a year is satisfying. Just enought to make me feel appreciated but not over the top kissing my ass.

Back