• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gifts from Santa

Gifts from Santa:

• Total voters
Not sure what will happen this year. As stated, we are unwrapped. My sister and her family are coming down for Christmas and she is wrapped Santa. Should be interesting. Especially since some gifts (American Girl dolls) will be the same for all both my kids and her kid.

Just to post pad/over-encourage. Try the plain brown paper with red bow strategy, and you will not be disappointed. I'm talking about the paper that almost feels like a paper grocery bag. Makes it seem like a special package "delivered" by Santa. If it doesn't make a cool/lasting memory for your kids, I will pay for all your wrapping plus interest when they grow up.

As an aside, my mom still does this for my sister and I. Our ages? 23 and 19. Pathetic?

My parents never did the whole Santa thing. They always told us the gifts were from them. My grandmother, however, still labels all of her gifts to us 'From Santa'

Smaller stuff from Santa was wrapped, larger stuff was unwrapped (like a wagon and a race track). The year I got my toy race track set up under the tree was awesome.

We wrapped our kids' Santa stuff, but looking back, I wish we had not. Less work. More thrill on Christmas morning!

Just to post pad/over-encourage. Try the plain brown paper with red bow strategy, and you will not be disappointed. I'm talking about the paper that almost feels like a paper grocery bag. Makes it seem like a special package "delivered" by Santa. If it doesn't make a cool/lasting memory for your kids, I will pay for all your wrapping plus interest when they grow up.

As an aside, my mom still does this for my sister and I. Our ages? 23 and 19. Pathetic?

My mom still gives us presents from Santa, but they are just under the tree and mixed in.

So, at what age do kids stop believing? As much fun as they have with this Elf on the Shelf thing, I think it will increase the likelihood of not believing sooner.

my family never wrapped santa gifts growing up.

my wife's family wrapped every f-n santa gift including individual stocking stuffers. candy? wrap it. chapstick? wrap it. tiny, useless flash light? wrap it.

of course we have to wrap our santa gifts for our two year old now. thanks babe. she has not yet been able to explain how santa will put together a toy/bike/play set and then wrap it? or you have to wait and put it together the next day? makes no sense.

both: smaller stuff wrapped, bigger not

This. Basically the fancy super gift of the year was left out and unwrapped. Everything in the stocking was wrapped. That's actually how I found out there is no Santa. I walked in on my mom wrapping gifts and saw the big thing that came from Santa yet to be wrapped.

My sister changed this--she wants the "credit" for the big gift so it doesn't come from santa. Lousy.

All of our stocking stuff was unwrapped, but (I guess, like most people) stuff was usually really small and not as "prized" as everything else. We'd get socks, small toys, maybe some kind of candy or something. Santa presents were generally unwrapped too, unless they were really small, but thinking back, I can't remember any that were actually really small. Generally Santa gifts were big things like bicycles and stuff that couldn't really be wrapped anyway.

Everything under/near our tree was wrapped. Even the big stuff had a drape or a large plastic sheet over it. The Santa stuff used different paper and was signed with different hand-writing.

Anything in the stocking that wasn't candy was wrapped with tissue paper. My parents had a lot of long/late Christmas Eve's (with lots of eggnog).

me growing up: all unwrapped and set up ready for play

Wife: everything wrapped (even stuff in the stocking)

With our kids: wrapped, but we really don't make a big deal out of Santa v. family gifts. Also, our family tends to be a big tree-huggerish, so all out presents are in home made reusable gift bags that my wife made. Some are Santa's bags, some are our family's

growing up, having unwrapeed santa gifts was key b/c we could wake up @ 4, go downstairs and play with all our santa gifts, then position back to where they were and feign surprise when we got up with our parents @ 6-7ish

So, at what age do kids stop believing? As much fun as they have with this Elf on the Shelf thing, I think it will increase the likelihood of not believing sooner.

My son is eight. He told me a couple of months ago that a kid at school told him that Santa wasn't real. I told him that Santa was real to me, and that if he doesn't believe then Santa doesn't have to bring him any presents. He's a pretty pragmatic kid. :D So he is choosing to believe in Santa this year. But I think this is it.

me growing up: all unwrapped and set up ready for play

Wife: everything wrapped (even stuff in the stocking)

With our kids: wrapped, but we really don't make a big deal out of Santa v. family gifts. Also, our family tends to be a big tree-huggerish, so all out presents are in home made reusable gift bags that my wife made. Some are Santa's bags, some are our family's

growing up, having unwrapeed santa gifts was key b/c we could wake up @ 4, go downstairs and play with all our santa gifts, then position back to where they were and feign surprise when we got up with our parents @ 6-7ish

Was this typical of most families, the kids get up early and play with their gifts?
As kids we always had to wait upstairs until the adults were ready for us to come down (usually afterbreakfast, 8/9am), we'd see out santa gift, we'd empty our stockings and then we'd open gifts in a very orderly fashion, with everyone taking turns opening one gift at a time until they were all gone. I can remember this taking an almost intolerable amount of patience as a young kid because after you opened a present it could be another 10 minutes before you got to open another one since mom/dad/grandmom/granddad/brothers got to take their turn.

I've never heard of unwrapped presents from Santa until this thread.

Back