• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gingrich making it official

I think Newt is simply the flavor of the week like Cain, Bachmann, and Perry all were before.

Yes. All are signs that Romney doesn't have enough of a following in his party. They're searching for any possible alternative.

I think Newt is simply the flavor of the week like Cain, Bachmann, and Perry all were before.

Desperate scramble, month three. People are just tossing things into the air at this point.

Romney is getting the nod, because Gingrich can't win a general (just like the others).

This should be obvious to the GOP.

I wish Huntsman would be the flavor of the week for a change.

Not sure that I agree with that. At every debate I have seen so far, without fail Newt has shown himself to be the brighest and most informed candidate on the issues. He has not gone on the attack, but has still scored lots of points. He would destroy Obama in a head-to-head debate. Still waiting to see if he will shoot himself in the foot, and don't know if he has rehabbed his image enough not to still be a polarizing candidate.

I heard an interview with him the other day and he talked about how he is a lot more mature than he was 15 years ago and credits a lot of that to joining the Catholic church. I think that's a reasonable explanation for what he has shown so far.

Not sure that I agree with that. At every debate I have seen so far, without fail Newt has shown himself to be the brighest and most informed candidate on the issues. He has not gone on the attack, but has still scored lots of points. He would destroy Obama in a head-to-head debate. Still waiting to see if he will shoot himself in the foot, and don't know if he has rehabbed his image enough not to still be a polarizing candidate.

I heard an interview with him the other day and he talked about how he is a lot more mature than he was 15 years ago and credits a lot of that to joining the Catholic church. I think that's a reasonable explanation for what he has shown so far.

He will never escape the disaster of his personal history. Clothing himself in new-found religion will not play to the middle, or even to some of the fringe right. Gingrich will fall to the wayside along with the other GOP unelectables as soon as his warts are reintroduced to the voters, which will start roughly right now. One of the reasons he's looked so good at the debates is that he's been out of the focus, and thus could operate "above the fray" without taking any hits. He's not been targeted, because he's not been considered a serious candidate. That just changed, and the barrels will now find him. It won't be pretty.

It would be nice if Huntsman could get a "flavor of the month" run, but that seems unlikely.

Gingrich has always been unelectable (and known it). This hasn't changed.

And he wouldn't destroy Obama in the debates, though he certainly does destroy the rest of the GOP field, minus Romney. At best, he's bucking for a VP nod. Doubt he gets it, since he doesn't bring anything of value to a ticket as the undercard.

Last edited:
Once again, Gingrich comes across as too much of an a-hole to be elected to anything beyond regional politics. Cobb County? Yes. USA? No.

Back