• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

God. Do you believe?

TY and you are right. I am going to stop, I can't ask simple questions about my daughters well being to get opinions anymore without people calling her satan spawn so I am just not going to talk about religion anymore.

James...I am sure you are a great dad and your daughters are beautiful young ladies. I have daughters (9 and 6) and a 3 year old little boy, myself.

Have a great Sunday with your family, James.

James...I am sure you are a great dad and your daughters are beautiful young ladies. I have daughters (9 and 6) and a 3 year old little boy, myself.

Have a great Sunday with your family, James.

thanks lectro I actually have a boy 4 and my little girl turned 2 in december. My boy is already begging to play fball but is to young right now. He has a cannon, but unfortunately he will never be over 6'. lol

"Reality" itself is something of a chimera if Einstein, Bohr and Planck are to be believed.

Rationality is based on a finite scientific sytem which is designed to measure that which is within a time-space continuum. God's claim is "Eternal" therefore the agency of God-head is not susceptible to an "adequate explanation" using the formulaic tools we have to communicate with. When we converse we jump from tense to tense (time to time) and the language is an inadequate purveyor. Who among us has not tried to relate something miraculous only to feel that we butchered the personal experience? The language does not have the capacity, nor does the math nor any other of our reasoning tools to express a relationship because the tools and axioms are time bound.

There is a reason that a religious avatar like Christ would make this demarcation point between the finite and the infinite. In order to gain "the Life" you must be born again. He immediately reprimands the literalist scholar Nicodemus and chides him to think beyond the purley physical constructs of his thought and see the metyaphysical conquest of time-space ( which Einstein himself claimed as "artificial" and even unreal).

It is no mistake that Christ worked in a much richer language and that the Greek Koine and Coptic translations of Aramaic reveal that Christ had 3 words at his disposal when referring to "Life". The 3 forms of the word "Life" coincide with "Beos" (biologic), "Psyche" (comprehension of carbon reality) and the resultant "Zoe" (Eternity). Christ's claim is that one must "overcome" the limitations of the first two in order to achieve the Eternal aspect which underlies all.

Salvador Dali had a great description of this achievement which mirrors Einstein's own example to us...that what we see is not necessarily what we think were are seeing. Our perceptual capacities break reality down into something recognizable and practical (and we are thankful, for as Nietzche said "if Truth were revealed in its entirety it would blow a man apart")

Dali called this "world underlying a world underlying a world" a state of "nuclear mysticism!"

40225.strip.gif

thanks lectro I actually have a boy 4 and my little girl turned 2 in december. My boy is already begging to play fball but is to young right now. He has a cannon, but unfortunately he will never be over 6'. lol

Get him a poster of Riley Skinner... he wasn't 6'0 either. ;)

There has to be a reason why we are so different from every other animal. It has to be a reason for how things are and how they work. It just didn't happen on circumstance for no reason I fail to believe that. Many people who are not religious believe they were put here for a reason that has to come from somewhere. Aliens-Could be possible but I don't believe this. I believe in God and yes your assessment is reasonable, but there is so much that is unique to us and the world that seems an impossible chance that it just happened. How did people, animals, anything get a start did a planet just decided to grow them out of the blue one day? How did things so complex begin without some sorta thing or being to put it in motion?

If God appeared to everyone right now up in the sky and said I am real believe in me and have eternal life in heaven would you nonbelievers believe?

Serious question please give it a serious answer would you?

By doing this it negates the need for faith or free will. You know God is then real and you are going to heaven and live right and your not if you don't. People would feel forced to come to God or live eternity in hell. God does not want people to feel forced. This is my belief.

I had dream where God spoke to me two dreams actually I am mad at myself for forgetting one I was young, but the other I remember very well and it solidified my believe. It could have been guilt for something that made this dream happen, but at the time I had nothing on my mind that I had done that made me feel guilty.

So you are saying that you believe in God not because of free will but because he appeared to you? You're saying you don't have faith in God's existance but are only believing because of proof.

Not criticizing you but asking questions.

The other night I had a dream that I was playing Roger Federer in a Grand Slam final but I don't believe that's real.

good question. i'm a believer but that's an interesting way of putting it. I have never heard or felt God speak clearly to me, so I feel like my decision to believe is entirely faith, but I can see what you're saying on people who claim to have heard God directly. I do think that once you believe, God reaffirms your belief in various ways that only He knows, so perhaps that accounts for some of it. (Having said that, I appreciate that this seems a bit circular and self-perpetuating.)

good question. i'm a believer but that's an interesting way of putting it. I have never heard or felt God speak clearly to me, so I feel like my decision to believe is entirely faith, but I can see what you're saying on people who claim to have heard God directly. I do think that once you believe, God reaffirms your belief in various ways that only He knows, so perhaps that accounts for some of it. (Having said that, I appreciate that this seems a bit circular and self-perpetuating.)

Was going to post the bold part as I read this, but glad you at least admit that what you just said is all circular reasoning. Carry on.

Back