• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GoDeacsBlog

25 yards without time off the clock for a team with a pathetic kickoff return game? Of course you down it.

Jennings has always been part of the media.

What a stupid question though. Of all the questions that could be asked in one limited media session, one of them was whether or not we should have returned a kickoff five yards deep in the end zone with 53 seconds left? Good god.

We are bottom 5 in the nation in returns per game and return yardage per game and 91st in yards per return. We've given up on the return game and for good reason. We had the worst yards per return last seasons with 2 more returns per game on average.

Last edited:
I guess my question was more along the lines of is 247Sports message board worthy of media credentials. I suppose it'd be similar to the Scout and Rivals guys. It just sounds strange reading that sentence aloud.

I know you only want WFU to win, and like you I sometimes let the frustration get the best of me. You come and go, you come and go, and every day it's the same bashing of the same people, none of whom we have the power to effect or replace. After awhile you start thinking the worst of everyone. And you used to be so sweet, I heard you say bad things about the football coaches. It's crazy that Wake has become a football school to some.

6148-coleman-wtf.gif

What a stupid question though. Of all the questions that could be asked in one limited media session, one of them was whether or not we should have returned a kickoff five yards deep in the end zone with 53 seconds left? Good god.
I don't think it's a dumb question. With 53 seconds left, you're going to need a big play or two to get into field position. A kickoff return is one of the best chances for a big play, even though as pointed out we're not a good return team and it would have cost some time. The alternative is trying to create long pass plays to the sidelines, which we're not good at either.

You don't need to use the sidelines in college as long as you get 1st downs.

Yes you do if you want the clock to start on the snap.

It's preferable, but you aren't limited to sidelines only at that point.

He's probably in his late 50s at least. He's been doing this kind of thing for 10+ years.

I don't think it's a dumb question. With 53 seconds left, you're going to need a big play or two to get into field position. A kickoff return is one of the best chances for a big play, even though as pointed out we're not a good return team and it would have cost some time. The alternative is trying to create long pass plays to the sidelines, which we're not good at either.

Wake is absolutely terrible at returning kickoffs. We don't block well, we get beat down field, and when we do get a return we don't do a good job of reading holes to hit them with any kind of authority. There was almost no chance of a big play there and I trust our chances considerably more with Tanner trying to get the ball downfield with Camp than I do wasting 8 seconds for JRoc to get hit at the 18 yard line. The only reason anybody would ask that question would be they haven't watched our team play this year or they're looking for a reason to appear "tough" and "critical" while giving a softball question to the head coach at media day.

Furthermore we didn't have a best returner, Armstrong, and he's only averaging 18 yards a return anyway which would have put us at the 13 yard line - 12 yards short of where we were with no time running off the clock.

Wake is absolutely terrible at returning kickoffs. We don't block well, we get beat down field, and when we do get a return we don't do a good job of reading holes to hit them with any kind of authority. There was almost no chance of a big play there and I trust our chances considerably more with Tanner trying to get the ball downfield with Camp than I do wasting 8 seconds for JRoc to get hit at the 18 yard line. The only reason anybody would ask that question would be they haven't watched our team play this year or they're looking for a reason to appear "tough" and "critical" while giving a softball question to the head coach at media day.

Furthermore we didn't have a best returner, Armstrong, and he's only averaging 18 yards a return anyway which would have put us at the 13 yard line - 12 yards short of where we were with no time running off the clock.

Another reason someone would ask that question is if they way overrate our players and haven't looked at any stats that would invalidate their beliefs.

Back