• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Going to keep running the option until we're good at it"

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Grobe's comments at halftime crushed the small sliver of hope I had at a comeback in the second half. How many other coaches in the nation would say that? Especially in their first conference game which you NEED to win because that's probably the weakest conference game on your schedule?

The announcers spent more than 50% of the first half talking about what a shit job we were doing running the option, and everybody with eyes could see it wouldn't get any better in the second half. What's the benefit of continuing to do it? There were no adjustments made at all. Incredibly frustrating. If we lose to ULM next week, you wonder if the coaching staff will begin losing the team...especially if they continue trying to run an offense we're not suited to run.

That halftime comment though...wow. Admitting you suck, and admitting you're going to keep sucking.

What was the game against UM a few years ago that we ran to prove a point and lost. But we were in the game.. Seems even if we forget the OB, grobe used to at least have us in every game.

Well, for starters, what we ran last night was not an option. It was a slow QB running wide pitch-outs to a slow tailback. We don't have the right personnel (at least playing) to run a true option.

Second, we've somehow managed to take a senior QB and a senior ALL-ACC receiver and totally neuter their ability to win games for us by effectively removing them from the offense.

That's one hell of an accomplishment.

Well, for starters, what we ran last night was not an option. It was a slow QB running wide pitch-outs to a slow tailback. We don't have the right personnel (at least playing) to run a true option.

Second, we've somehow managed to take a senior QB and a senior ALL-ACC receiver and totally neuter their ability to win games for us by effectively removing them from the offense.

That's one hell of an accomplishment.
The personnel thing is in incorrect. We absolutely could put Martin at the FB and put Whilhite/Reynolds/Armstrong at the wing backs. And my guess is Price could run the option out of that formation, with the requisite amount of practice. But that isn't what we are doing.

Definition of insanity, doing the same thing and expecting different results. I conclude Grobe and Lobo are insane!

The personnel thing is in incorrect. We absolutely could put Martin at the FB and put Whilhite/Reynolds/Armstrong at the wing backs. And my guess is Price could run the option out of that formation, with the requisite amount of practice. But that isn't what we are doing.

Please read my post carefully. I stipulated AT LEAST PLAYING in the current formation. Disagree on Price running the option out of any formation. For the option to be effective, the QB has to be a serious threat to run. Price is not.

Last edited:
People were saying given the experience and schedule this team was poised to make some noise. I didn't think we'd be that good but I thought we'd be better. We looked WORSE!

With Price and Camp and the tallest receivers in Wake's history, we should be a passing team. Let Tanner throw the ball 50x a game. I guarantee that would be better than this mess.

We are hiding everything for the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks, guys.

Could we be home dogs to Louisiana-Monroe?

They haven't done much either. I'm guessing Wake -2.5.

lol you laugh, but those warhawks might come in here and whoop our ass!

No, not laughing at L-M at all. Only laughing at our "keep the offense quiet" strategy this summer.

The coaches have indeed kept the offense quiet. They forgot that now is when it's supposed to make some noise.

WAKE THE DEMONS! THEY ARE STILL DOZING AND WE'RE 3 WEEKS INTO THE SEASON...

ULM's quarterback that torched Arkansas last year is still there, and they have a better offense than Boston College. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lost, and would expect it if we come out running that shit offense again.

Back