• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gonzaga coach

Mark Few is going down as a top 5 coach of all time? Is he even considered top 10 among active coaches?

Mark Few is going down as a top 5 coach of all time? Is he even considered top 10 among active coaches?

Definitely considered top 10 among active coaches.

And I stand by that top-five of all time if he stays. He stays at Gonzaga for 30-35 years and he ends up with around 900 wins IMO. I don't know that he will, but if he stays there for the rest of his life he'll be one of the greatest coaches of all time.

ETA: In this consideration I have him making multiple Elite 8's and a couple of final fours with potential for a title or two. He's taken Gonzaga to a top 20 program over the past decade. That's incredible.

Definitely considered top 10 among active coaches.

So who from this list would you rank him above:

Coach K
Roy Williams
Donovan
Calipari
Pitino
Boeheim
Izzo
Crean
Matta
Stevens

Could also throw in Sean Miller, Bo Ryan, Huggins, Bill Self, Jamie Dixon, Shaka Smart, and Ben Howland in there.

I see Few as a top 20 head coach, but don't think you can put him in the Top 10.

I'd put him in the same group as Matta and Stevens. I think Few and Stevens compare relatively well and Stevens has the advantage for two trips to the title game. I think Matta benefits from a big name school for recruiting, but does have deep tournament runs as well. I hold Few in extremely high regard for taking a complete unknown to 12 straight tournaments. He will have to make a couple Final Fours for sure to get into the top 5 but I think they have a good shot at it. I like their chances to make the final four this year.

I'd put him in the same group as Matta and Stevens. I think Few and Stevens compare relatively well and Stevens has the advantage for two trips to the title game. I think Matta benefits from a big name school for recruiting, but does have deep tournament runs as well. I hold Few in extremely high regard for taking a complete unknown to 12 straight tournaments. He will have to make a couple Final Fours for sure to get into the top 5 but I think they have a good shot at it. I like their chances to make the final four this year.

Gonzaga was already good by the time Few was head coach. They made the Elite Eight the year before he became head coach.

Good point. Munson or whatever his name was got them up there. I don't know I just value him pretty highly I think he's clearly closer to the top 10 of your list than the guys you mention at the bottom.

Groce is a great coach as well he's got Illinois in great position. This is a good game.

Back