• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

he was saying that its similar to blanton's but older and more complex and cheaper because blanton's is still hand bottled

he was saying that its similar to blanton's but older and more complex and cheaper because blanton's is still hand bottled

And Rock Hill Farms is higher proof (100pf vs 93pf). Most good picks have a cherry taste to me, almost like cherry wood was used in the barrels. It's something that I find unique to RHF.

And Rock Hill Farms is higher proof (100pf vs 93pf). Most good picks have a cherry taste to me, almost like cherry wood was used in the barrels. It's something that I find unique to RHF.

Looked for it here in NC and couldn't find it.

Unfortunately, I'm getting to the bottom of my bottle of Rowan's Creek, which I've really enjoyed. Quality stuff even if it's sourced, probably my favorite of the Willett line of bourbons.

Bears and Deacs - not that I can find them in NC, but can you give me some other wheated bourbon suggestions?

Bears and Deacs - not that I can find them in NC, but can you give me some other wheated bourbon suggestions?

I realize you're not asking me, but Larcency, Makers, WL Weller, Rebel Yell, the Van Winkle bourbons, Old Fitzgerald, and Old Weller Antique are some of the more popular wheated bourbons.

ETA: Jefferson Presidential 18 is also wheated.

Last edited:
I realize you're not asking me, but Larcency, Makers, WL Weller, Rebel Yell, the Van Winkle bourbons, Old Fitzgerald, and Old Weller Antique are some of the more popular wheated bourbons.

ETA: Jefferson Presidential 18 is also wheated.

Yeah that pretty much covers it. Here it is by distillery.

Heaven Hill:

Larceny
Old Fitzgerald (BIB, 1849, Very Special, etc.)
Cabin Still (the old version was a wheater, the current version may be rye based though)
Rebel Yell
Rebel Reserve

Buffalo Trace:
Weller Line (Weller Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique, Weller 12, William Larue Weller)
Pappy Van Winkle (Old Rip Van Winkle 10, Van Winkle Family Reserve 12yr, PVW15, PVW20, PVW23)

Maker's Mark (Beam):
Maker's
Maker's 46

One Off Selections:
Jefferson's Presidential Select (17yr and 18yr)
Parker's Heritage Collection 10yr Wheated Mashbill

There are also some micro distilleries that are doing a wheated mashbill but I don't follow those very closely.

Vintage Bourbon 17 is also a wheater and might be my favorite. It is becoming really hard to find, though, and when you do it is a little pricey.

Vintage Bourbon 17 is also a wheater and might be my favorite. It is becoming really hard to find, though, and when you do it is a little pricey.

True, but the first version of Vintage 17 was a rye bourbon...the second was the wheater, which was more common (I think).

We'll have to crack this one open next time you make it to Atlanta!

muzeteze.jpg

Last edited:
Home from work, sitting on the patio with a Hirsch 25 yr rye. Not a bad way to start the end of a day.

Cask, one of the best places to buy spirits in SF, just bought out a nondescript liquor store only a few blocks from my new digs in Oakland and has opened a satellite. Even better, they'll deliver straight to my door if the order is over $50. Could be very dangerous.

To answer the question about holding on to booze, one of the coolest things I've been a part of was my buddy's rehearsal dinner.

His dad talked about how on the day his son was born his buddies at the FBI got him a bottle of Scotch and told him to celebrate and he said, "No, I'm going to hold onto this and the day he gets married I'll drink it then. Now the wedding may be tomorrow, but that bottle is sitting back on the bar tonight and I invite you all to share this moment with me."

To answer the question about holding on to booze, one of the coolest things I've been a part of was my buddy's rehearsal dinner.

His dad talked about how on the day his son was born his buddies at the FBI got him a bottle of Scotch and told him to celebrate and he said, "No, I'm going to hold onto this and the day he gets married I'll drink it then. Now the wedding may be tomorrow, but that bottle is sitting back on the bar tonight and I invite you all to share this moment with me."

That is awesome. What a cool way to celebrate by sharing the bottle and having it up on the bar at the rehearsal dinner.

If I ever have a boy, I'll buy any limited release bottles that I can get in his birth year and we'll open them together on big events - 21st birthday, college graduation, wedding day, etc.

Back