• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Doing a little four roses tasting at home tonight:

OBSF, 10.5 yrs, 60.9% abv: smooth, warm, a little sweet, a little peppery. The rye come through nicely but not overpowering. Very good.

OBSO, 9.5 years, 63.5%: same mashbill so the rye is still there. A little more prevalent than the OBSF. Overall quite a different flavor. More peppery. Sweeter up front but it disappears quickly. Maybe a hint of mint or something like that as well. Makes my lips tingle. Very good.

OESO, 10.5 yrs, 56.9%: definitely different tasting. Can defs tell the higher corn to rye ratio in the other two. This one has much less peppery spice to it. Sweeter. I feel like it's also picked up more oak than the other two. I might get a bit of the mint like from the OBSO, but if I do it's very subtle (they do share the same variety of yeast). Very good as well, but probs my least fav of the three (which isn't that surprising as I tend towards ryes).

I think the OBSO is my fav, but it is very close with the OBSF. I could easily change my kind if (when) i do this tomorrow.

Doing a little four roses tasting at home tonight:

OBSF, 10.5 yrs, 60.9% abv: smooth, warm, a little sweet, a little peppery. The rye come through nicely but not overpowering. Very good.

OBSO, 9.5 years, 63.5%: same mashbill so the rye is still there. A little more prevalent than the OBSF. Overall quite a different flavor. More peppery. Sweeter up front but it disappears quickly. Maybe a hint of mint or something like that as well. Makes my lips tingle. Very good.

OESO, 10.5 yrs, 56.9%: definitely different tasting. Can defs tell the higher corn to rye ratio in the other two. This one has much less peppery spice to it. Sweeter. I feel like it's also picked up more oak than the other two. I might get a bit of the mint like from the OBSO, but if I do it's very subtle (they do share the same variety of yeast). Very good as well, but probs my least fav of the three (which isn't that surprising as I tend towards ryes).

I think the OBSO is my fav, but it is very close with the OBSF. I could easily change my kind if (when) i do this tomorrow.

Very interesting. I could have predicted that you would like the first two more given your love for ryes, as you mentioned. I love the sweeter, higher corn mashbill and that OESO at 114pf sounds right in my wheelhouse! In fact, one selection of OESO that my group did a couple of years ago might still be my favorite Four Roses bottle that I've had.

I do prefer the O yeast to the F as well. For a long time the F yeast barrels were only used as a flavoring component in Four Roses Yellow label.

Got into some Jefferson Reserve over the weekend. Nice bottle. Smooth taste with just the right amount of pepper.

My 'rents went to Florida last week and I asked my mom to stop in and try and find me some bourbon's from the first page in the $50 + range. They have some lottery system down there for the higher end bourbons. So, the only thing she could really find on the list that I don't have/haven't tried/can't find in Winston area was W L Weller Special Reserve and she hooked me up with a 1.75 liter bottle. I enjoyed the Weller Antique so I can't wait to get in to this one.

Also, drank some more Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace last night, I definitly perfer the Eagle Rare over the Buffalo Trace. The BT, to me, had an earthy taste going on.

ABC has a lottery system for higher end bourbons. I don't know how the other stores do it but ABC is just one of many liquor stores in the state of Florida.

Had a nice delivery waiting for me when I got home.

mehu7ege.jpg

If I had to pick something on this list under $50, then what would it be?

I'm a huge fan of Breckenridge, but I know y'all are all about the Four Roses. (I'm embarrassed to say that I've never tasted its brilliance.)

I'm thinking either Breckenridge, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch, or Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, but I defer to you, oh bourbon gods.

I LOOOOVE Booker's, but that's $59.95 on that list.

Four Roses is so cheap there...it's $25 here and the Single Barrel is close to $50

Ok, so I was looking back over the first page of this thread....why am I not understanding how the spherical ice cube trays work? How do you fill it to make a sphere?

Has it really been that long of a day :tard:

Ok, so I was looking back over the first page of this thread....why am I not understanding how the spherical ice cube trays work? How do you fill it to make a sphere?

Has it really been that long of a day :tard:

Fill with water. The bottom and top are rounded and the rubber top has a small hole so it can be filled up completely.

heverezu.jpg

Ahh....there it is...

I was like "If you fill both halves, you're gonna get water everywhere when you try to combine them."

super :tard:

Fill with water. The bottom and top are rounded and the rubber top has a small hole so it can be filled up completely.

I thought the rubber hole was to allow air to escape as the water expands/freezes. If I fill to the fill line on the side of the plastic bottom and cap if off with the rubber top, the expansion as it freezes easily fills the entire mold and often results in a bit of ice coming out of the hole. No need to top it off in my experience. In fact, I've had problems keeping the rubber portion from popping out of the plastic bottom if I overfill them. YMMV.

I thought the rubber hole was to allow air to escape as the water expands/freezes. If I fill to the fill line on the side of the plastic bottom and cap if off with the rubber top, the expansion as it freezes easily fills the entire mold and often results in a bit of ice coming out of the hole. No need to top it off in my experience. In fact, I've had problems keeping the rubber portion from popping out of the plastic bottom if I overfill them. YMMV.

The hole definitely gives space for the ice to expand, but I always had better results feeling it all the way up. Whenever I tried to fill it to the line on the plastic portion I always had an incomplete sphere so I did it this way and it's been fine for me...haven't used this thing in a couple of years though.

As far as ice goes, I went through a phase where I only wanted clear ice. I would basically freeze a big block of ice in my freezer in an old Tupperware container and just carve off pieces of clear ice because it melts slower and I think it looks better in a drink.

How much bourbon do you have Bears and Deacs? You truly are the Bourbon Master!

Every time I think I have too much bourbon, b&d posts a pic

I currently have 8 bottles. Eagle Rare 10 year, WL Weller Special Reserve, WT 101, Four Roses Small Batch, Jefferson's, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace. I want MOAR!

As far as ice goes, I went through a phase where I only wanted clear ice. I would basically freeze a big block of ice in my freezer in an old Tupperware container and just carve off pieces of clear ice because it melts slower and I think it looks better in a drink.

I had dinner at this place last night: http://www.heirloomrestaurantnc.com/

Everything is local, except the olive oil, coffee beans and tequila. I tried a blond whiskey out of Asheville...tasted young (they have only been around 3 years I believe), but otherwise it was really good:
http://www.ashevilledistilling.com/blonde-whiskey/

All of that to say, they had ice cubes that were frozen with an aromatic heirloom grain in them, so as the ice melted, you picked up some nice scents and a hint of flavor. I can't recall the grain now, but I'll definitely be back to the restaurant to try out some more local spirits and food.

Back