• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Had some Eagle Rare for the first time the other day, thought it was nice. I've been stuck on Four Roses ever since it was first suggested to me on this thread a few years back. It's normally on sale for around 28 at my local ABC store..

Did a store in DC do an OBSF pick?

Yeah. The guy has what I think is the best whiskey selection in town. His super high end stuff is ridiculously overpriced, and he fully admits that, but if someone is willing to pay $1,500 for Pappy 23, then that's what he's gonna sell it for. And apparently he has no problem selling it at that price either, though he did say that he automatically loses respect for the guys that come in and spend that. But he has a few different 4 Roses picks in the store. Once my current one kicks I'll probs pick up another.

I woke up to pictures of my buddy and a bottle of Pappy. He said it just reinforced that he doesn't like whiskey.

Yeah. The guy has what I think is the best whiskey selection in town.

Do you mind sharing the store? I'll be up there in a month and wouldn't mind grabbing some of the 4 Roses recipes I haven't had.

Do you mind sharing the store? I'll be up there in a month and wouldn't mind grabbing some of the 4 Roses recipes I haven't had.

Modern Liquors at the corner of 9th and M NW. The spendy stuff is behind the counter. There's a new shop on I St NW between 4th and 5th (I think it's called Eye Street Cellars) that also has a couple 4 Roses private picks behind the counter, though the rest of the selection is pretty poor. Schneiders on Mass Ave NE between 3rd and 4th usually has 4 Roses private picks as well (as well as a very good selection overall), but that place is a damn shitshow so I usually avoid it.

Buckets, how do you like that Four Roses OESK?

honestly... its a little too astringent for my taste. a little waft will burn your nose hairs. its not as much spicy as it is alcohol-heavy. it got a little better with two cubes of ice and sitting out for 10 minutes, but not my favorite. i love the regular four roses single barrel and even drink george stagg neat on occasion. maybe just a bad bottle or something though.

honestly... its a little too astringent for my taste. a little waft will burn your nose hairs. its not as much spicy as it is alcohol-heavy. it got a little better with two cubes of ice and sitting out for 10 minutes, but not my favorite. i love the regular four roses single barrel and even drink george stagg neat on occasion. maybe just a bad bottle or something though.

I think I've posted this formula before, but when I find a bottle that is a little too astringent or alcohol heavy I start playing around with the proof. Once I find a proof that I like, I just mix the rest of the bottle to that proof and drink like normal.

[Original Volume * (original proof - target proof)] / (target proof - mixing proof) = volume of mixing liquid to reduce from original proof to target proof

Obviously the mixing proof is 0 if you use water. I find that Four Roses barrel proof selections can be very drinkable around the 107 to 110 proof range, but just play around with it and find a proof that you like.

I think I've posted this formula before, but when I find a bottle that is a little too astringent or alcohol heavy I start playing around with the proof. Once I find a proof that I like, I just mix the rest of the bottle to that proof and drink like normal.

[Original Volume * (original proof - target proof)] / (target proof - mixing proof) = volume of mixing liquid to reduce from original proof to target proof

Obviously the mixing proof is 0 if you use water. I find that Four Roses barrel proof selections can be very drinkable around the 107 to 110 proof range, but just play around with it and find a proof that you like.

i'll try this out

i was so sad with my first tasting last night

I need to find a legit place to pick up some bourbon. So far Total Wine has the best selection I've seen.

Obviously the mixing proof is 0 if you use water.

What, did you go to bourbon college? Damn, cracker.

I need to find a legit place to pick up some bourbon. So far Total Wine has the best selection I've seen.

Not sure where you are but Total Wine In Greenville, SC sucks as far as bourbon goes. I have had way better luck with a corner liquor store in Spartanburg that has been open for 65 years than TW. For some reason TW can't get ryes right now, but Deluxe Liquor in the Burg can.

Yeah, the totes wine in Laurel, MD has an abysmal whiskey selection

It's not bad in Florida, and has your Four Rose's Single Barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Breed and all if that, but I'm looking to step outside of that.

Back