• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

On the tenth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: The Girvan Patent Still Single Grain 25 Year Old. I really like this one. Caramel. Woody. Banana even. No smoke. Nice thick texture. Good bite. I'm shocked that my brother didn't like it.

On the eleventh day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Teeling Single Malt. So this is an Irish whiskey, made with 100% malt whiskeys. A selection of five wine-cask-finished-whiskeys were used for this release (some of which were distilled back in 1991), including Sherry, Port, Madeira, White Burgundy and Cabernet Sauvignon. His is really interesting. Not a typical Irish whiskey at all. Woody. Flowery. Minty. Nice heat. I dig it.

On the twelfth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Kilchoman 4 Year Old 2010 - Single Quarter Cask Release (cask 582/2010). According to the website, aged almost 5 years in a quarter-sized cask. Hoo boy this is cray. The initial peat on the nose almost knocked me out. It's minty and very strong. The best way to describe it is scotch flavoured chloraseptic throat spray. Even leaves that same tingle. I can't even...

On the thirteenth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Evan Williams single barrel vintage 2004. I've never been high on Evan Williams in general so I've never tried the single barrel. To me this is a lot better than the $25 price tag. Decent burn, nice thick consistency. Mildly oaky. I am pleasantly surprised and would defs drink again.

On the thirteenth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Evan Williams single barrel vintage 2004. I've never been high on Evan Williams in general so I've never tried the single barrel. To me this is a lot better than the $25 price tag. Decent burn, nice thick consistency. Mildly oaky. I am pleasantly surprised and would defs drink again.

I haven't bought EWSB since the 2001 or 2002 vintage, but I thought the 2000 was their best. We'll have to do a small vertical tasting next time you make it to ATL.

ea4dd157dc91d15875cf8cb7e2029806.jpg

My father in law was gifted some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and we cracked it open before Sunday dinner. One cube of ice for me. Interesting taste, kinda sweet, but smooth. I wouldn't pay for it, but I'll certainly drink it if somebody is pouring.

I haven't bought EWSB since the 2001 or 2002 vintage, but I thought the 2000 was their best. We'll have to do a small vertical tasting next time you make it to ATL.

ea4dd157dc91d15875cf8cb7e2029806.jpg

Haha, is that the wall of a storage unit? As in, you have such a vast collection that it doesn't fit in your house? The amazement never ceases.

Eh I prefer to imagine that you have a 10,000 bottle vault

On the fourteenth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Dalmore King Alexander III. I think this is superb. Vanilla, toffee, oak. It's apparently the same malt finished in a variety of casks and blended. Bourbon, sherry, Madeira, Cabernet. Maybe others. Really complex, long finish. Big big fan.

On the fifteenth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Paul John Edited. This is an Indian single malt. Pretty interesting. Lightly peaty. Chocolate and mint are pretty prevalent. Not a bad whiskey.

On the sixteenth day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Mortlach Rare Old. This is a good whiskey, but nothing stands out. It's smooth and light. Reminds me of Macallan 12. Tasty and drinkable, but unremarkable.

Played golf with some buddies today and hit the beer/liquor store after in a random Florida locale. Total hole in the wall. I joked on the way in that maybe they'd have some Pappy, and surprisingly they did. One of the guys in our group has been looking for a bottle for a while, so he bought some Old Rip Van Winkle 12 for..... wait for it... $899. They wanted $1,199 for actual Pappy 15.

It was only a couple years ago when we found some 15 and 20 for $70 and $120 each. The whole Van Winkle thing is so absurd.

Played golf with some buddies today and hit the beer/liquor store after in a random Florida locale. Total hole in the wall. I joked on the way in that maybe they'd have some Pappy, and surprisingly they did. One of the guys in our group has been looking for a bottle for a while, so he bought some Old Rip Van Winkle 12 for..... wait for it... $899. They wanted $1,199 for actual Pappy 15.

It was only a couple years ago when we found some 15 and 20 for $70 and $120 each. The whole Van Winkle thing is so absurd.

I have some snake oil thatll work magic for your buddy. Hook me up with his info. My gawd what a waste of cash.

I took this only a few years ago. Your friend is dumb and part of the problem. No offense.

64762c9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pictures like that make me cringe at my relatively late introduction to bourbon. Not just for the van winkle prices but for stuff like the aged Rittenhouse next to it that I'll likely never see.

Back