• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

On the twenty-third day of Christmas Jesus gave to me: Grant's 25 yr scotch. I'm a little disappointed again. It's fine. Tobacco, deep oak flavors. Not much depth. Not all that happy with this. Hoping tomorrow blows me away.

Played golf with some buddies today and hit the beer/liquor store after in a random Florida locale. Total hole in the wall. I joked on the way in that maybe they'd have some Pappy, and surprisingly they did. One of the guys in our group has been looking for a bottle for a while, so he bought some Old Rip Van Winkle 12 for..... wait for it... $899. They wanted $1,199 for actual Pappy 15.

It was only a couple years ago when we found some 15 and 20 for $70 and $120 each. The whole Van Winkle thing is so absurd.

That sucks. He could have picked up a 20 year for that price on the secondary market.

That said, if he wants a bottle of 20 year, I've got one I sell him for $1800...

That sucks. He could have picked up a 20 year for that price on the secondary market.

That said, if he wants a bottle of 20 year, I've got one I sell him for $1800...

Ha, yeah so do I. I only know him through golf and he bought it before I could stop him. After that I didn't want to be a dick so I just let him enjoy the "find." Ignorance is bliss after all...

On the last day before Christmas Jesus gave to me: Invergordon 50 Year Old 1964 (cask 10711) - Xtra Old Particular (Douglas Laing). I have nothing else to say other than this is a fine, fine scotch. Wow. Just exceptional.

Its the regular orange label so I assume its wheat as the green label that I buy is rye.

Orange label is a high rye bourbon; about 28% rye in the mashbill. The rye (green label) is a rye whiskey made with something like 95% rye in the mashbill.

Orange label isn't a wheated whiskey, FYI.

Damn!

Buckets - you ever see OWA at Beverage Warehouse? A guy I see there a lot (the owner?) says that they get it in once every couple months, but it goes pretty quick. I managed to snag the last bottle of the Special Reserve and the case arrived the day before.

For sure, that's where I bought a case of OWA for my wedding

Although that was a year ago so maybe tough to get now and I haven't checked in a few months probably

If you're ever in Orange County, you should swing by Hi Times Wine in Costa Mesa, they've got a lot of hand picked barrels

Whoa, I'll be going there for sure.

Thanks for the rec. You're the West Coast B&D, buckets.

OWA available again at ABC store off South Main in High Point for those in the area interested.

Ok - you all realize that's not how Christmas works, right? It starts on Dec 25 and lasts 12 days, ending on Jan 5. /rant

But I came to ask for opinions of Angel's Envy bourbon - haven't had it, but have had it recommended as one to try. Aged in port barrels. Yay or nay?

Ok - you all realize that's not how Christmas works, right? It starts on Dec 25 and lasts 12 days, ending on Jan 5. /rant

But I came to ask for opinions of Angel's Envy bourbon - haven't had it, but have had it recommended as one to try. Aged in port barrels. Yay or nay?

I prefer the rye to the bourbon, but both are excellent

Yah!!

Thanks to Buttermaker, I checked out the High Point ABC store on Skeet Club and scored the last bottle of OWA. Cheers!

That reminds me, there was a handle or two of WL Weller that I should get to replace my Bulleit (which should kick soon)

For sure, that's where I bought a case of OWA for my wedding

Although that was a year ago so maybe tough to get now and I haven't checked in a few months probably

If you're ever in Orange County, you should swing by Hi Times Wine in Costa Mesa, they've got a lot of hand picked barrels

Hi Times Wine ships to NC, just FYI...

For the Elijah Craig 12 yr fans - it looks like EC12 is in process of removing the big 12 year age statement on the front and moving it to small print on the back. The front label now just says Small Batch. From history, this is the first step a producer does when they are going to completely remove an age statement. I suggest it's time to put some of this in your bunker.

I'm sure the general public would not even notice when the small age statement on the back disappears, should that actually happen.

d4e1cec1512cf2620a94a7a7ddfd6ed4.jpg

174e0f92576bf4e7aa95b47801d9a0af.jpg

This is definitely speculation, but we've seen this happen before. I'll probably pick up a few as well and just hold onto them for a while.

A little more information on the EC12 age statement thing. Fred Minnick addresses the age statement moving to the back of the label and also the fact that Fighting Cock is losing its 6 year age statement.

http://fredminnick.com/heaven-hill-drops-one-age-statement-moves-another-to-the-back/

Well it only took about 8 months. According to Fred Minnick, Elijah Craig is removing the 12 year age statement and it will now be a blend of 8 to 12 years. If you're a fan of this one it's time to stock up!

http://www.fredminnick.com/2016/01/20/2198/

Interesting that Heaven Hill is not willing to put an 8 year age statement on it. So soon it will be 7 to 12 blend...then 6 to 12 blend. I did pick up a bottle of it today though. Also grabbed a Barrell Bourbon Batch #5. Saw it a couple of months back but was not willing to buy it at the price with a limited # of reviews. Since then been reading some very favorable stuff about it so was willing to give it a shot especially since its barrel proofed.

Separate note, anyone had the Bookers 2015-6 Noe Secret yet? Saw it today too but I already have an unopened 2015-3 Center Cut so I went with Barrell instead.

Back