• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Wanted to try something new. Anyone with experience with this one?
8d1fcc4fb82a7ce06b163eb6dfe12221.jpg

Interesting that Heaven Hill is not willing to put an 8 year age statement on it. So soon it will be 7 to 12 blend...then 6 to 12 blend. I did pick up a bottle of it today though.

That's a good point. I think that it probably is to give them flexibility, as you mention, and the second reason is probably because the casual drinker of EC12 probably won't even notice (especially after they moved it to the back). You know they would notice if HH changed it to an eight year but kept the price the same though.

With that said, just because they are removing the age statement doesn't mean that it will be bad bourbon. Instead, it may get a little better now that they have more options to blend in, at least in the short term. My concern would be that over time, as the 12 year stocks are depleted, it will become a mostly 8yr bourbon.

It's just sad to see another bourbon lose its age statement.

I also picked up two bottles of EC12 yesterday. The guy at the store is already talking about jacking up his price on the remaining EC12 stock that he's getting next week.

I saw that Minnick article too via /r/bourbon. I might go buy a bottle or two but won't really stock up. I don't go through bottles fast enough anymore to need it. Sad, this was a staple of my daily drinker lineup but as was previously mentioned maybe the introduction of some youth could be a good thing. I love EW SiB which is like 8-9 yrs.

Even more sad to think about EC 18 being around and easy to find just a few years ago

Was up in the mountains last week, and a guy there was singing the praises of Benchmark Old No.8. Said for the money it is quite good and gives him less of a hangover than the good stuff. I tried it and it seemed ok based on a single tasting. Anyone tried this before? I woundn't mind having a less expensive bourbon for "everyday" use. ;) It's made by Buffalo Trace which produces pretty good stuff.

The liquor store by me has Turkey 101 listed at $25, but always rings up for $19. I always go in there thinking I'm going to get something else, but wind up with a with that bottle. The savings taste so good.

Even more sad to think about EC 18 being around and easy to find just a few years ago

This is the truth. My stomach turned when I found out they were finally going to work toward a market correction.

Buckets, they have OWA at Beverage Warehouse.
You should get on k&l's listserve for Whiskey. Their in store selection is alright but they've got great deals that go quickly online and will call is free.

Just bought a bunch of EC 12 before it's gone, actually cheaper there than total wine. They do some awesome barrel picks and their wine selection is pretty sweet too.

Tried three new to me bourbons last night:

1792 store pick/private barrel: it was good, but nothing special

Old Forrester Single Barrel: I liked this a lot. Reminded me of OFBB in some ways.

EHT Single Barrel: really nice sipper. Maybe the favorite of the night.

You should get on k&l's listserve for Whiskey. Their in store selection is alright but they've got great deals that go quickly online and will call is free.

Just bought a bunch of EC 12 before it's gone, actually cheaper there than total wine. They do some awesome barrel picks and their wine selection is pretty sweet too.

Noted. Thanks, buckets. I didn't see a listserve for whiskey, though. Just Single Malt Scotch and Other Distilled Spirits. Any ideas?

And OWA is nuts. Damn, y'all.

EHT Single Barrel: really nice sipper. Maybe the favorite of the night.

I'm really coming around to EHT. Picked up a bottle of it a few weeks ago and it's delicious. Even my friends who are into rocks ultimately ask for a second pour neat.

Dat Pikesville defs is not worth $70. I know people were all excited by the release, but man, I thought it was extremely meh.

Dat Pikesville defs is not worth $70. I know people were all excited by the release, but man, I thought it was extremely meh.

That is PA, too. Non-state-controlled liquors will be even more for those two. I am out on bourbon for a while, too damn expensive for the good stuff.

Back