• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Damn.

Shoulda got in on that.

I bought the OBSO last year at the gift shop and it's great.

85e771560aa6f4a9e6899f44728a04ed.jpg

YES!!!!

Wife got me a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel for my birthday.

I had a really bad experience with Four Roses Small batch. Tasted like Robitussin. Worse maybe. I've never tried the singe barrel. Maybe I just got a bad batch? It was my first Four Roses experience and it was not good at all. I drink a lot of Bourbon (to the extent work and fatherhood allows) so it's not just that I don't like whiskey or something. My favorite is Blanton's but I also like EH Taylor Single Barrel. The Four Roses Small Batch was rancid.

I had a really bad experience with Four Roses Small batch. Tasted like Robitussin. Worse maybe. I've never tried the singe barrel. Maybe I just got a bad batch? It was my first Four Roses experience and it was not good at all. I drink a lot of Bourbon (to the extent work and fatherhood allows) so it's not just that I don't like whiskey or something. My favorite is Blanton's but I also like EH Taylor Single Barrel. The Four Roses Small Batch was rancid.
I also love Blanton's, but Four Roses Small Batch is my go to. This single barrel has been tested and approved by a few posters. I'm pretty stoked.

Well... Review?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it's very good. I'll spend more time with it today. Just to remind everyone, the OBSV recipe is the lower corn recipe - 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% barley (that's what the "B" means in the code).

Quick initial notes:

Nose - big caramel and vanilla (to be expected). Oak in there but definitely in the background behind big sweetness. Some fruit, but not sure what kind...maybe apples? Cereal grains. To me, not as much alcohol on the nose as I would expect from a 110+ proof whiskey.

Taste - up front sweetness...easy entry. Alcohol makes its presence known with some heat, but doesn't blow you away. Fruit on the palate, but this is more like cherry, not apples. Definitely didn't get cherry aromas in the nose though. Again, oak is in the background...it becomes more noticeable in the finish as the early sweetness fades. Very drinkable. More sweetness than spiciness to me, which is surprising since it's the lower corn recipe. Not overly complex, but very tasty.

Those are just my first impressions. When I try it again I'll post if I notice anything different on the second round. It's funny how you can sometimes have the same bourbon on back to back nights and they taste completely different. It just shows how much we are affected our moods, the dinner we had, the setting we're in, etc.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with my earlier comments...at least for now. Picking up a little more oak and the alcohol is more noticeable tonight, but I think that's because I drank it immediately and didn't let it rest in the glass. This one is dangerously drinkable to me. I'm trying to nurse it but I'm almost halfway through the bottle.

Was at a church party last night and the host was tell me about her trying to find Angel's Envy, but they were out of stock. So the sales clerk talked her into trying something else, so she bought it and didn't like it. Asked me if I wanted to try it, so I said sure. It was Blantons. First time trying it, wow! That is some good stuff. I've never seen it at the local ABC, she just lucked into it.

Last edited:
Blantons is my happy place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Where are you that you can't find Blanton's? Blanton's has always struck me as the McDonalds of single barrels. Available everywhere, consistent taste but not great.

Four Roses Single Barrel is my go-to. Love it. Was at a party for my wife's tennis pro-am this weekend at our club and ordered one at the bar. Bartender filled it to the brim. Love those country club pours...

I think Eagle Rare is my new fave.

Thought I heard something about a Blanton's shortage recently, or am I making that up. It might have been another "B" bourbon.

I think Eagle Rare is my new fave.

Thought I heard something about a Blanton's shortage recently, or am I making that up. It might have been another "B" bourbon.

no there is a shortage. Called three liquor stores in Tampa. Of the three, one had two bottles, one spoken for and I got the other.

The distribution is being held back until the holiday season as there is a legit shortage of Blanton's. At least this is the story I got independently from all three of the unrelated stores.

My local package store said they were gonna begin to treat Blantons like Pappy and that there is indeed a shortage.

All Buffalo Trace product in NC is on quarterly allocation. BT, Blantons Eagle Rare - just shipped in Sept and can be found on some shelves but moving quickly. Will be back in Dec. I stopped at various stores across state over last two weeks and saw all three regularly but better get them quick. 107 and Weller 12 are also allocated in NC but even less frequently than quarterly. Watch the state website then ask your local county store to order when you see it in the state inventory. BTAC and Pappy has not yet hit NC.

Back