• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

All Buffalo Trace product in NC is on quarterly allocation. BT, Blantons Eagle Rare - just shipped in Sept and can be found on some shelves but moving quickly. Will be back in Dec. I stopped at various stores across state over last two weeks and saw all three regularly but better get them quick. 107 and Weller 12 are also allocated in NC but even less frequently than quarterly. Watch the state website then ask your local county store to order when you see it in the state inventory. BTAC and Pappy has not yet hit NC.

BTAC hit NC in early October. By and large, it is already gone. It shipped from the warehouse in Raleigh to Western NC almost immediately, then hit the triangle and triad the past couple of weeks. I suppose some places may still be sitting on some bottles, but as you know they won't be sitting out on a shelf anywhere. I was incredibly lucky to score a William Larue Weller last week. Had a buddy score three Thomas Handys and a George T. Stagg in Raleigh over the course of two days.

BTAC hit NC in early October. By and large, it is already gone. It shipped from the warehouse in Raleigh to Western NC almost immediately, then hit the triangle and triad the past couple of weeks. I suppose some places may still be sitting on some bottles, but as you know they won't be sitting out on a shelf anywhere. I was incredibly lucky to score a William Larue Weller last week. Had a buddy score three Thomas Handys and a George T. Stagg in Raleigh over the course of two days.

if true, and I have no reason to doubt you, this really pisses me off for several reasons. 1 - I've been checking the state inventory regularly and never saw it hit the warehouse, so I am wondering if they ever even logged it. 2 - I've been emailing the Wake County GM to find out how they would distribute it since they did away with the wait list (I was near the top after 3 years). As of a couple of weeks ago he said still no word on when the bottles would hit and no decision on how Wake County would distribute but he was considering a few bottles to every store in county and then doing a drawing at each store. So I've been checking the Wake website regularly for them to post how they would distribute (this is how they publicized both the end of the wait list as well as the Sept BT allocation) and there has been nothing. So if they went ahead with some half-assed distribution and didn't notify folks, f them. and finally, to hell with your buddy for taking 3 Handys. fine line between being an bourbon fan and being a selfish prick. i think he crossed it.

The GM at Wake County said they got 20 bottles of BTAC in total. So your buddy took 20% of the bottles intended for a county of 1 million people. Good for him. This proves that the bourbon chase is beyond absurd. May be time for a new hobby and I can give my liquor cash to flood victims instead.

The GM at Wake County said they got 20 bottles of BTAC in total. So your buddy took 20% of the bottles intended for a county of 1 million people. Good for him. This proves that the bourbon chase is beyond absurd. May be time for a new hobby and I can give my liquor cash to flood victims instead.

27 total cases made it NC. 3 bottles per case. So 81 total. That's crazy, right?!

27 total cases made it NC. 3 bottles per case. So 81 total. That's crazy, right?!

Yes, very crazy and well below what the state got last year I think. And since NC's share of total bourbon drinking in the US market probably has not changed, and I believe there were slightly more bottles of BTAC this year than last, which markets got higher allocations this year?

This conversation is depressing.

In less depressing news, I managed to find another bottle of Rock Hill Farms the other day so I finally finished off my first. I had been nursing this one for well over a year. It ain't cheap, but it's one of my favorites.

201111030647464eb2715237f12.jpg

In less depressing news, I managed to find another bottle of Rock Hill Farms the other day so I finally finished off my first. I had been nursing this one for well over a year. It ain't cheap, but it's one of my favorites.

201111030647464eb2715237f12.jpg

RHF is outstanding...I am halfway through my only bottle and trying to ration it. Worth the extra $ over ETL which I believe is the same mashbill.

The bourbon market sucks. I've been really put off by it lately because people are so disgusting about buying everything up, flipping for mega profit, etc. It's just the attitude of a lot of people that are "bourbon fans" that's so off-putting. I recently lost out on some Weller 12 because 30 minutes before I went into the store some asshole bought all 6 bottles off the shelf and I'm still pretty salty about it. Buying all the bottles off the shelf to more than likely just sit on is lame.

The bourbon market sucks. I've been really put off by it lately because people are so disgusting about buying everything up, flipping for mega profit, etc. It's just the attitude of a lot of people that are "bourbon fans" that's so off-putting. I recently lost out on some Weller 12 because 30 minutes before I went into the store some asshole bought all 6 bottles off the shelf and I'm still pretty salty about it. Buying all the bottles off the shelf to more than likely just sit on is lame.

Yeah it's getting old. We've had the vodka mini craze and then the bourbon craze...I think rum is next. It appeals better to both genders and some really good stuff can be had out there cheap, at least compared to the silly cost of bourbon. It's only a matter of time before Cuban rum hits the American market too, which will make all rum trendy.

Edited for old but interesting article about a few sipping quality rums:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/...lantation-abuelo-dorado-zaya-diplomatico.html

Last edited:
Yah I've heard the same about rum from other smart ppl

There are actually a decent number of good mezcals out there that aren't cray expensive. They're just hard to find since most stores don't prioritize stocking up on it.

Back