• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Sous Vide is the bomb. Worth it just for perfect meat temps, but random stuff like corn and other veggies, sauces, infusions - so many kickass things you can do with it.

Last Thanksgiving I made a bourbon bananas foster cocktail with my sous vide. I forget the recipe exactly, but I put spices, buffalo trace and bananas in a bag and cooked them for a few hours. Might try it again this year if I can find it.

Yah I have an anova, more curious about specifically using it for alcohol infusion

If there is a poster out there who was a part of the boards bourbon barrel purchase and (1) is interested in selling a bottle (or trade) and (2) is local to Winston-Salem, then feel free to shoot me a message.

Yah I have an anova, more curious about specifically using it for alcohol infusion

I found that Mason jars work well. Pour in some liquor and then add the stuff you want to infuse, screw the lid on and let it go for an hour or so at 170 degrees or so. Sometimes I will pull it after 30 minutes or so and give it a good stir and then put it back in. When it is done, pour it through a strainer into another Mason jar. I then just keep the newly infused liquor in that Mason jar and store it in the fridge. If you do some googling you can find some pretty interesting recipes/ideas for sous vide infused drinks.

Some ingredients that I have found that work well are mint (especially for simple syrup) and real vanilla bean. I also found a recipe on-line to make homemade Grand Marnier (brandy, sugar, and orange and tangerine peels).

Edit to add that I probably actually did it at less than 170 degrees - maybe more like 150 to 160? I usually look it up on-line before I go at it. Perhaps I should start making some notes, so I don't half to reinvent the wheel each time.

Last edited:
Anybody ever infuse their own liquors? My buddy does it every holiday season. Wild Turkey infused with fresh cherries and some spice blend is probably my favorite. A mezcal that I can't remember right now infused with pineapple was a close second.

I did some Rebel Yell with honey crisp apples and a couple vanilla beans last Christmas and gave it out to friends. Feedback was very good, but I didn't quite care for it myself. I am going to use cherries I think this year.

Here is a good website for ideas:
https://boozedandinfused.com/2012/07/21/bourbon-bourbon-infused-bourbon/

I found that Mason jars work well. Pour in some liquor and then add the stuff you want to infuse, screw the lid on and let it go for an hour or so at 170 degrees or so. Sometimes I will pull it after 30 minutes or so and give it a good stir and then put it back in. When it is done, pour it through a strainer into another Mason jar. I then just keep the newly infused liquor in that Mason jar and store it in the fridge. If you do some googling you can find some pretty interesting recipes/ideas for sous vide infused drinks.

Some ingredients that I have found that work well are mint (especially for simple syrup) and real vanilla bean. I also found a recipe on-line to make homemade Grand Marnier (brandy, sugar, and orange and tangerine peels).

Edit to add that I probably actually did it at less than 170 degrees - maybe more like 150 to 160? I usually look it up on-line before I go at it. Perhaps I should start making some notes, so I don't half to reinvent the wheel each time.

Does the heat reduce any of the alcohol? I'm assuming no?

Does the heat reduce any of the alcohol? I'm assuming no?

I am sure there are people that know way more about this than I do, but it looks like alcohol evaporates at 173 degrees, so I would think that as long as you keep it below that, it should not. From some other googling, it looks like 130 to 150 degrees is the temp that most people do their diffusing, with some leeway based on what ingredients you are using. There will be condensation, but if you are using a sealed container (e.g. mason jar), it should remain in the container.

If there is a poster out there who was a part of the boards bourbon barrel purchase and (1) is interested in selling a bottle (or trade) and (2) is local to Winston-Salem, then feel free to shoot me a message.
If no one bites, we'll probably be ordering another one in the not too distant future, assuming B&D doesn't get turned off after this first one. It takes at least 6 months or so, so maybe we can make this an annual event.

If no one bites, we'll probably be ordering another one in the not too distant future, assuming B&D doesn't get turned off after this first one. It takes at least 6 months or so, so maybe we can make this an annual event.

So I was talking about that with wfudkn last week and have an idea for the next bottle. I want to do a little research before throwing it out there but the price point would be better - $45ish as opposed to $60 (although who knows how prices will rise in the future). Of course I haven't been able to start with the shipping headache yet, so maybe that will discourage me!

So I was talking about that with wfudkn last week and have an idea for the next bottle. I want to do a little research before throwing it out there but the price point would be better - $45ish as opposed to $60 (although who knows how prices will rise in the future). Of course I haven't been able to start with the shipping headache yet, so maybe that will discourage me!

Why you gotta tease us B&D?!?

Getting back into my bourbon stash now that the weather is cooling down. Enjoyed a quality OESV store pick tonight, one of the few good bottles I have left out as the rest of my good stuff has been packed to move soon.

Just finished off my EH Taylor Single Barrel. Sad it's gone but what a delicious bourbon.

Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 for $30. Store took my name a few weeks ago and called me Friday afternoon to let me know they had a bottle for me. Just found my new go-to bottle shop.

Probably my favorite right now. Drank it on my wedding day. Got a bottle for my birthday.

It's so good. I've had a good bourbon day. My brother and I had a pour of his Pappy 23 earlier to celebrate the birth of his first born. Had a pour of my Willett 8 year rye when I got home. Then shared a great beer, Alesmith Speedway stout, with a friend. Ending the night with a nice pour of Stagg Jr. now.

view.php

So to all the bourbon people on this board, I found this bottle at my grandfathers house recently. it is unopened and still has the seal on it. I realize it probably isn't worth a lot but I think it's pretty neat and i should probably drink it right?

Last edited:
Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 for $30. Store took my name a few weeks ago and called me Friday afternoon to let me know they had a bottle for me. Just found my new go-to bottle shop.

which store was your go-to in Charleston?

Back